Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I've been researching the steps for importing an RV and there is some excellent information in here.

No-one has stated how long it might take though

Anyone give me an idea how long it takes to get it from a US port to Southampton?

Cheers

Ashley

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I've been researching the steps for importing an RV and there is some excellent information in here.
Anyone give me an idea how long it takes to get it from a US port to Southampton?
Cheers
Ashley

Actual travel time is apparantly approx 11 days. That doesn't include admin'

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
It took us from the time we bought it to the time we had it on the doorstep just over two months.

Thats from the dealer - Galveston - Southampton. Customs clearance, Conversion - MOT - Tax & UK registration. As said above it takes approx two weeks to get across the pond

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And the worst of it is. thats not by any means written in stone, Shippers will take the cheapest option and somtimes an RV can get left off the boat in favour of a more lucrative load or two seperate loads that better fill the ship, or sent to another country first, so you pays yer money and hold your breath:Doh:
Most do go according to plan just dont book it in for anything till you know its landed and cleared customes:Eeek::thumb:

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
my money doesn't mature till June 5th.
that's most of the summer gone waiting for my bus to turn up!!

Guess it'll be a UK purchase then

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
my money doesn't mature till June 5th.
that's most of the summer gone waiting for my bus to turn up!!

Guess it'll be a UK purchase then

At the risk of sounding rude, and believe me, I really dont mean to be::bigsmile:, but that does sound just a little impatient considering the amount of money that's involved.
Think through it carefully, is it worth risking the rig of your dreams for the sake of one missed season?::bigsmile:
just a thought, no offence intended.::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Be carefull when getting insurance.

My insurance company wanted information that I coudnt possibley have until I had actually recieved the rv.

If you dont give them the info that they request then they will cancell your insurance and keep the premium that you have paid :Eeek:

I think that actually did happen to sombody on the forum.

As said above, take your time. The purchase of a MH/RV is a big deal. Dont live to regret your purchase because of itchy feet. The time will soon pass by.

Jim

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

Cheers

Ashley

:Cool: 2 Weeks if you get it booked in time. :thumb:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Be carefull when getting insurance.

My insurance company wanted information that I coudnt possibley have until I had actually recieved the rv.

If you dont give them the info that they request then they will cancell your insurance and keep the premium that you have paid :Eeek:

I think that actually did happen to sombody on the forum.

As said above, take your time. The purchase of a MH/RV is a big deal. Dont live to regret your purchase because of itchy feet. The time will soon pass by.

Jim

we had no problems insuring ours before it landed, just asked for the info that they wanted from the usa gave it them and she was insured result:thumb:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Hi Bashers
i got a mate that has a 2001 Monaco Knight 36ft diesel for sale uk registered & converted ready to go.
Dont know if that is the type RV you are looking at

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Ours took 3 weeks to arrive but well worth the wait........and alot of money saved compared to buying in the UK :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ours took 3 weeks to arrive but well worth the wait........and alot of money saved compared to buying in the UK :Smile:
What may be of interst to Basher,Tony is how long from

1. Yup thats the baby:thumb:

To

2. OMG im driving me new toy:Eeek:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi I bought our Monaco Windsor in late October 2006 in America and due to various delays such as Thanks Giving holiday and bad weather on the Atlantic, then the Christmas holiday here I was only able to pick it up from Liverpool first week in Jan 2007 but well worth the wait! Did the full conversion, Mot and registration myself and it was on the road first of February, when we went to Sheepcote near Brighton.

First trip.
100_0312.jpg

Regards Pat

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
If you don't give them the info that they request then they will cancel your insurance and keep the premium that you have paid

Here in the USA you pay exactly for the amount of insurance you have used, if you have paid for 365 days of insurance and cancel after 100 days you will get back 265 days worth, well that's what happened with us.

OP
OP
bashers

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
At the risk of sounding rude, and believe me, I really dont mean to be::bigsmile:, but that does sound just a little impatient considering the amount of money that's involved.
Think through it carefully, is it worth risking the rig of your dreams for the sake of one missed season?::bigsmile:
just a thought, no offence intended.::bigsmile:

Don't worry. I am thinking this through.

I'm after an RV for a 12-15 month break from June to June/September ish...and thats all.
In september 2010 my boy starts school so I have to "Settle down" next year i've been told

Yes i'll be full time in it, almost, but I can only do the best i can to get the best bus for the money by June.
If i make the wrong choice, I'll suffer for 12 months only.

I'm only spending £20K so i'm not expecting perfect buses, but i've seens some good ones and some bad ones for that price.
I've seen the "rig of my dreams", but there's no way i'm buying it yet!

So yes, wating till late July to get a bus is too long. Thats two months out of 12 gone.
I'll buy myself a UK based bus, suffer the price hike, but be off by the second week in June.

Who laughed, i heard someone laugh out there, who was it?:Angry:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Who laughed, i heard someone laugh out there, who was it?:Angry:

Certainly not I. :winky:
Good luck, there's no "one size fits all" for either rigs or personal situations and only YOU know whats best for YOU:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back