Importing a new Motorhome from Europe (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Whilst we were in France a few weeks ago Jenny and I saw a new Elnagh A Class we liked the look of, we did obtain a brochure from the dealer although it was all in French. On returning home we cotacted Elnagh (Part of the SEA group) who sadly informed us they had pulled out of the UK market and had no plans to return.

They advised us that there would be no right hand drive models made and suggested that we contact a dealer in Europe if we were still interested.

Well we did look at a couple of dealers abroad and probably the nearest to us would be a Belgian dealer, who did have the model advertised on their site.

Now the question is has anyone done it? and what is the situation regarding export and import duties.

I know some years ago it was cheaper to buy a new Ford (for example) in Europe and import it to the UK. Does this still apply?

Any advice anyone?

Pete aka (trophychap)

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
There is VAT due on age / mileage

Dependent on the age / mileage VAT is payable on a NEW motorhome .. second hand it is not if it is over a certain age / mileage.

Importation is not a big issue.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
This is Jenny this time!

Yes we knew you have to pay VAT on a new van Bob and the link Jim gave tells us nearly everything else we need to know.

The main point that's struck me though at the mo - after reading the link info - is this; Is it really wise purchasing a new van to live in a country where there is no dealer back-up?

I mean that wouldn't be a prob if it was second hand cos I'm sure good old Central Leisure, Ash or anyone else reputable could help us sort it out. But warranty work? - of course you always hope you won't need it but .....

OTOH the mfr might have one UK dealer who's in Glasgow and nobody else in the UK (or something) so we'd be no better off.

I think if we want to take it further we go to the Belgian dealers next time we cross the channel and see what we think. Once we know when we are going to do that I think an English email to the dealer should elicit the info we need. NBG if they speak a mixture of Flemish, French and Walloon. (Once in Brittany and with sufficient French and a map showing exactly where we wanted to be, but we couldn't find the road) we stopped to ask some workmen the way - and they all spoke Breton except one lad! TG for him.)

Does that sound sensible or what?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nothing like a contentious post on a Thursday night is there.. and as no one else has made one yet, I will do the honours :ROFLMAO:

Wellllllllllll

Jenny.. As you know we bought the Miller..
Although folk claim to be Miller / S.E.A. dealers the two in the UK I have spoke to had NO parts for our model.. not even curtain hooks !!

So do I regret buying a van that is effectively unsuported in the UK ?

No mate.. not at all..

Five years on, and apart from really wanting to replace outside vent grills as they have gone tatty, we have not once felt the need to get any Miller specific parts ( and in all honesty cannot really envisage such a scenario either )

Pete is like me.. not frightened to use his loaf and modify / sort out if god forbid something did go phut.. so why worry ?

Too many folk are scared poo-less of getting the hole saw / screw driver / drill out on their motorhomes.. ( good news for dealers of course ) but for you, me and folk like us I doubt it would make the slightest bit of difference no matter where you got the van from :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best is get a chassis cab and a box . kit your own out its easy . cheaper and you know how it works . warranty well most arent worth the paper that they are written on . do it yourself half price . you know it makes sense.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
best is get a chassis cab and a box . kit your own out its easy . cheaper and you know how it works . warranty well most arent worth the paper that they are written on . do it yourself half price . you know it makes sense.

Something i would like to do one day--
i got the space /tools and the will and a MH to copy ideas from .

I keep looking --
http://www.ehow.com/how_6308063_convert-box-truck-motorhome.html

from this

and use the parts--sink/cooker/heater from here

Link Removed

and a fancy paint job from myself

--one day--

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just looked at the how to build instructions:ROFLMAO:
Never realised they were so easy to build:Doh:

Find a Motor
Build some walls
add a ceiling
Put the tanks in
put the sink in
Fit siome furnature
Jobs done:thumb:
Might build a couple or three this afternoon simples:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
G
Oops slow down!!!! nearly forgot the windows

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
should you want to build your own box these are usefull places
http://www.normanton.co.uk/panelproducts/panelproducts.htm
or these
Link Removed
at least then you make the choice.
another way is get a box supplied . for windows the seitz fit really easy .
if its not insulated then modern kingspan products are fairly easy to fit in a square box . thin ply lining . followed by resin coating or your choice again . or get finishing boards .
it can be a very interesting diy. pastime . tanks from places like cak,tanks .

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
why these concerns I ask?

Jenny why these concerns?

My RV is made in the USA... the UK main dealer takes for ever to get a part, but I still get the parts .. OK I have to import them... not a big deal... I needed a cooker switch recently.. ordered it via a dealer in the UK that ordered it from the USA and he has now posted it out to me.

I often buy direct from companies int he USA.. OK the tax/vat is a pain.. but in Europe you will not have that issue as the goods are supplied with vat from the country you buy from.

I do not see an issue about buying a vehicle that has no dealer support.. I suspect you will have a eurobox of some sort on a Fiat or similar chassis so the chassis come engine is covered by the makers network.... we do not even have that at times. So you would be one ahead of an American made vehicle. Having owned American RV's and cars for 28 years it has never caused me a problem yet.

If you find the right vehicle then go for it... I would not buy new as I would not want to pay the VAT on it to the UK government .. yes Jim's link tells you what to do... but you can also find the info on HMCR's web site. I went down that route once when I was after a German Winnebago.... they do not have dump tanks fitted at the factory, but the Uk slide out tanks.. so we investigated doing it from a dealer in Hamburg Germany... They even had 3 weeks import insurance available to bring it home. So it is doable...

Go for it, I am sure the experience would be interesting.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back