Importing a motorhome into Australia (1 Viewer)

Frankguard

Free Member
Apr 29, 2010
For the time being Aberde
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Does anyone here know the ins and outs of importing a motorhome into Australia?

I have been a resident here in UK for the last 2.1/2 years and could quite possibly be transferred back to Australia. If this transfer goes ahead I would like to take my motorhome back with me having had it for the required 12 months.

What I need to know is what duty and GST (VAT) I would have to pay and that would also include the Luxury Goods Tax as I guess my motorhome is worth more than the Aust$57,000? How is this all calculated, is it based on the UK price or based on some unknown valuer in Australia?

And, once I do get the motorhome there what additional costs would I need to stump up for such as Australian Compliance plate; Tyres (I read somewhere that all tyres need to have either made in Australia or a US Dot compliance??); Electrical standards compliance etc etc.

The bottom line is whether having taken into account cleaning, shipping, customs etc costs is it going to be worthwhile or not??

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I am led to believe that is a very difficult to import motorhomes into Australia.

The only person I knew who looked into it as he was returning to Australia gave up, so assume he found that it was not practical and gave up sold it and replaced at home.

Hope someone can tell you different.

Best of luck

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Friend of mine with many, many years in the motor trade, now living in Oz went into the ins and outs of importing motorhomes into Oz, he gave up the struggle and now imports caravans which have a lot less restrictions.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well my sister in Oz and bro in law - who I can assure you wouldn't pay a brass ha'penny more than he had to for anything - both assured me and Pete that a Euro campervan wouldn't last 5 minutes on their roads/in their environment. They have a Landcruiser and a double axle caravan and go on lengthy trips, anything not glued nailed screwed and welded (all of them I mean not a choice!) just gets shaken to bits.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I know of someone who took their motorhome over there for a trip.

He videod the meticulus cleaning of the van in excess of 40 or more hours. Still had to pay extra to have certain parts cleaned on entering Australia.

He eneded up sending the contents home in crates beforehand because it would have failed the shipping back.

I know the original question was permanent import, so I cant help you there, but it cost quite a bit just to get it there too.

Good luck its on our agenda probably in 5 years time though:Doh:

Pat

OP
OP
F

Frankguard

Free Member
Apr 29, 2010
For the time being Aberde
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Many thanks to all those that have replied to date.

Roger from Australia has given me some good answers and helpful hints as he has done it twice and I also had a reply to an email I sent to Australian Customs. Very helpful information.

It looks like it will be fairly expensive :cry: but I don't believe it will be as expensive as buying a new m/home once there. The mind boggles when I compare what you get here to what you can get over there.:Eeek:

To ship it from Newcastle to Perth Australia on a RoRo is around £4700 plus insurance. The M/H is to big to go in a container unfortunately. I will end up having to pay 5% duty + 10% GST on the value of the vehicle, Freight and Insurance, that is for starters. If the vehicle Value, plus Duty, plus Freight and Insurance, plus GST, exceeds $57180 AUD, Luxury Car Tax (LCT) will be applied at 33% for each dollar over $57466 AUD. There will also be import processing fees, generally around $40-$70 and AQIS (Australian Quarrantine Inspection Services) cleaning fees. The cleaning fees can be reduced if it has been thoroughly cleaned inside and out so there is not a speck of dirt or old fluid lying anywhere - this could take up to 100 hours of cleaning :Sad:

Then the myriad of other things that have to be taken into account such as having the vehicle checked by a Vehicle Engineer (not a Mechanic) to check that it meets the Australian Design Regulations Edition 3 and getting a Australian Compliance plate. Vehicle insurance; Does it meet Australian Gas Fitters regulations (it should being a European made vehicle).

I guess I am going to have to think hard and fast over the next few months.

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Good luck with it. Hope you're successful.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Blimey...................:Eeek:

The convicts are really getting their own back..............................::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back