Imported RVs and Emissions! (1 Viewer)

2escapees

Deleted User
In a thread a few weeks back someone made the comment that his RV did not have to pass the emission test during the MOT. I found this hard to believe so started looking for the position. Here is the Department of Transport's view:

VOSA have said that personal imports will be tested according to the age of the vehicle from first use. The only exception to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at the time of the test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then the tester will do an emissions test to the next lower emission standard.

For example, a March 1995 vehicle first used in USA has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet UK Catalyst emissions limits for that time so the next lowest limit in this case the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC 1200ppm would be used to test the vehicle against instead.

:thumb:

[/B][/I]

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well I'm hoping mine won't be subject to emission test because of the age of the vehicle.:Doh:

It has never been fitted with a catalytic Converter and has passed previous MOT's ok.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Yep. We had this problem with our 1996 Newmar and previously our 1993 Gulfstream. VOSA was very understanding. Both passed. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had no issues at the ministry site and said the emissions is very low.

Passed twice now:winky::thumb:

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
American Dream;62881You should be even better now if they test it on LPG.:thumb: [/QUOTE said:
:Cool: Our old Coachmen actually failed on LPG when we took it's for the MOT before selling it. :Blush:

We had completely renovated the Exhaust & Manifold system. As a consequence. The mix was too rich and had unburnt gases. :Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
:Cool: Our old Coachmen actually failed on LPG when we took it's for the MOT before selling it. :Blush:

We had completely renovated the Exhaust & Manifold system. As a consequence. The mix was too rich and had unburnt gases. :Doh:

OOps.Just goes to show how easily it can be affected by changing something in the combustion/extraction cycle.

Morning JSW.::bigsmile:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Just curious ...

Do diesel coaches have to pass smog in the UK? California has some of the toughest smog requirements in the U.S., but diesels are exempt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Well mine is due MOT next week and the last two times the man testing it has said he cannot believe how good it is on emissions. He thinks its great.

Lets hope it is as good this time.

Ten year old V10 Triton

So to say they are not up to scratch does not work for me.

Regards

Lampie

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi John
If your engine was designed to run on lead free, the valves don't need any extra lube, thats more or less all the lead was for, AFAIK. Do you notice much difference in power? My 3.5 Disco does seem to SLIGHTLY less lively, but the cost of fuel makes me smile every time I put my foot down!!!::bigsmile:
Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back