Imported RVs and Emissions!

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by 2escapees, Feb 8, 2008.

1. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

In a thread a few weeks back someone made the comment that his RV did not have to pass the emission test during the MOT. I found this hard to believe so started looking for the position. Here is the Department of Transport's view:

VOSA have said that personal imports will be tested according to the age of the vehicle from first use. The only exception to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at the time of the test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then the tester will do an emissions test to the next lower emission standard.

For example, a March 1995 vehicle first used in USA has a letter from the engine manufacturer stating that the particular engine (engine number to be stated) cannot meet UK Catalyst emissions limits for that time so the next lowest limit in this case the pre cat limits of CO 3.5%, HC 1200ppm would be used to test the vehicle against instead.

:thumb:

[/B][/I]

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Well I'm hoping mine won't be subject to emission test because of the age of the vehicle.:Doh:

It has never been fitted with a catalytic Converter and has passed previous MOT's ok.

3. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Yep. We had this problem with our 1996 Newmar and previously our 1993 Gulfstream. VOSA was very understanding. Both passed. :Wink:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I had no issues at the ministry site and said the emissions is very low.

Passed twice now:Wink::thumb:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  5. American Dream

Was the engine running John?:Wink: You should be even better now if they test it on LPG.:thumb:

BTW are you running a valvelube system?

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

The RV has the very latest Romano sequential system on it. Go LPG - Romano N System sure mine is the N system (was sent over special)

Valvelube? dunno:RollEyes:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  7. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

8. American Dream

OOps.Just goes to show how easily it can be affected by changing something in the combustion/extraction cycle.

Morning JSW.:BigGrin:

9. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

Just curious ...

Do diesel coaches have to pass smog in the UK? California has some of the toughest smog requirements in the U.S., but diesels are exempt.

10. Lampie

Lampie Read Only Funster

Well mine is due MOT next week and the last two times the man testing it has said he cannot believe how good it is on emissions. He thinks its great.

Lets hope it is as good this time.

Ten year old V10 Triton

So to say they are not up to scratch does not work for me.

Regards

Lampie

11. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi John
    If your engine was designed to run on lead free, the valves don't need any extra lube, thats more or less all the lead was for, AFAIK. Do you notice much difference in power? My 3.5 Disco does seem to SLIGHTLY less lively, but the cost of fuel makes me smile every time I put my foot down!!!:BigGrin:
    Nigel