Import VAT (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I have just spent the morning going round in circles on the .Gov and HMRC websites for an answer to a simple question. Big mistake! I am contemplating the purchase of a van in Ireland (Rep of) and bringing it back to the UK. It is over 6 months old, has done more than 6000km and was VAT paid as new by the current owner. My purchase will be a private sale which presumably will not attract VAT in Ireland. Will I be subject to UK VAT when I bring it in? Does anyone have experience of this?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have brought several vehicles into the UK from EU over the years and have never had to pay VAT in the UK on them. I presume the Irish state is still in the EU even though they are having financial problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have bought numerous vehicles in Dublin, and have not had to pay VAT over here. If the VAT is paid over there it is a simple process.

Craig

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Thanks for these responses. I would have spoken to HMRC on the phone, except 'all our advisors are busy'. I was under the impression that no VAT would be payable on a used vehicle providing it had been paid when new and I could show that but the HMRC notes online give the impression that the importer, me, would have to show that VAT had been paid by me. Maybe it's all down to the wording! Still, I am encouraged by the experiences of others.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back