Import VAT

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tony_g, Jul 31, 2012.

1. tony_g

tony_g Funster

I have just spent the morning going round in circles on the .Gov and HMRC websites for an answer to a simple question. Big mistake! I am contemplating the purchase of a van in Ireland (Rep of) and bringing it back to the UK. It is over 6 months old, has done more than 6000km and was VAT paid as new by the current owner. My purchase will be a private sale which presumably will not attract VAT in Ireland. Will I be subject to UK VAT when I bring it in? Does anyone have experience of this?

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> HMRC

Believe it or not they are quite human, give them a ring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have brought several vehicles into the UK from EU over the years and have never had to pay VAT in the UK on them. I presume the Irish state is still in the EU even though they are having financial problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I have bought numerous vehicles in Dublin, and have not had to pay VAT over here. If the VAT is paid over there it is a simple process.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  5. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Thanks for these responses. I would have spoken to HMRC on the phone, except 'all our advisors are busy'. I was under the impression that no VAT would be payable on a used vehicle providing it had been paid when new and I could show that but the HMRC notes online give the impression that the importer, me, would have to show that VAT had been paid by me. Maybe it's all down to the wording! Still, I am encouraged by the experiences of others.