Import Insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by laird of Dunstan, Mar 6, 2016.

1. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi Guys
    Are there any brokers other than safeguard who insure on the VIN number?

2. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Been looking into this myself.
    Looks like get dealer to drive vehicle to train or ferry, the safeguard will insure on vin when in uk.

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

You can always insure with safeguard till you get it back and cancel (not sure why you are keen on them they have a great reputation and service) then cancel policy £25 charge and go back to your insurer. Bur as I said there are other companys

4. Terry

Terry Funster

AIB does it (y) or at least did mine and a friends :D

5. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I have a full timing policy with comfort and don't know if safeguard will insure a full timer as they share info, but will ask the question.
    There will be a way to resolve.

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If buying used from a reputable dealer you can get a DEKRA inspection in Germany etc.....Cost on my at 9 month old last panel van was £100, that covers all mechanical side in great detail. I bought last van unseen as I trust them and had loads of photos. It was in new condition at 9000 miles ( had been used by bosses son for company's European cycle tour/race) cooker etc....where unused..

7. Delilah

Delilah

I have bought hymer mh from dealer in germany i can bring it back on dealers export plates with 3rd party insurance is 250 euro he is throwing that in free and then i think can get cover adrien flux on vin no once its in uk, but i cant find any Fully comp policies to cover it to drive across europe anyone able to help?

8. littlehouse

littlehouse Funster

IF you're over 50, Saga insurance might cover you for 12 month use in EU countries.

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I asked Saga for a quote when i imported the current van, they would cover me on the vin "Providing the wheels did on touch the ground" their words not mine.

10. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Good luck with that! I tried everywhere and other than one very expensive Dutch outfit, no one will cover you fully comp until wheels hit the UK. Totally ridiculous situation. In the end I took the risk used ADAC cover for 3rd party and Rolling Home is now safe on our drive with British reg and fully comp insurance, so now I can drive it anywhere in Europe fully insured just like the original german owner could do on the German plates but mix the two? Computer says No.....