Implications Of Going Over 3500kg (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Back to the original question - for me at least the implications of going over 3.5t have been £70 or so a year off my road tax and no insurance increase! What a nonsense.

The main problem seems to be for those who haven't got the C1 licence, generally through age, either too young or too old (and not taken the relevant medical). Horsey-types seem to be quite badly affected as many horse boxes are over 3.5t - the younger riders, in order to drive them, have to take LGV training & test. I guess that's why you see more small van-based horse boxes on the road now.

Have any motorhome drivers on here had to that the test to get C1? What a pain - the rules around digital tachograph use are complex, having to learn all that in order to take a test to drive a vehicle that has no tacho fitted! LGV drivers - what was Class 1 - have to take so many hours of re-training every 5 years I understand in order to retain their licence, I don't believe this applies though if you're not carrying goods for resale.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As an aside - be careful if you ever need to send your licence off that they keep the C1 entitlement on it. That happened to my Dad some years ago, he sent his off for change of address and they took the C1 off. It was only because he noticed & complained that they added it back on.

Alas now, as an insulin-using diabetic, they have taken it off him anyway. Another nonsense - I can't see how driving a 3.5t MH is less dangerous than driving a 4t MH for any medical condition.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Unladen weight is NOT mass in running order.
Unladen is unladen. No water, no gas, no driver, no nothing, except perhaps fuel in the tank.
Mass in running order is usually quoted with a nominal driver weight, gas on board, fuel in the tank and water on board. The amounts vary by manufacturer.
Therefore, there might be more motorhomes that slip into those sub-3050kg speed limits than you think.
It ain't as simple as that. Have a look at the definition I got from the Government's website (Post No 38) as to what they say it means. Part of it says

It includes the body and all parts normally used with the vehicle or trailer when it’s used on a road.

That could be taken to be a lot more than just the weight from the converters. I reckon my batteries, solar panels, safe and many other things would be included in that definition. I normally use them all when my motorhome is on the road.

The whole thing is daft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
X250 have a speed limiter option as at my first service last year on my 2013 maxi I was asked if I wanted it switched on....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back