Impaired Hearing WHAT!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by injebreck99, Jun 23, 2014.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Being of advancing years, and having worked in a very noisy workplace all my life, plus riding thousands and thousands of miles on motorcycles, my hearing is significantly less than it was, I read somewhere of a device that could be added to modern LCD TV's to improve the sound quality, (not a volume button!), some sort of booster box I think, anyone have any recommendations.
    I was told that the loudspeakers on some LCD TV's are very small, and sometimes even point towards the rear of the set, making it difficult to hear anyone who is not speaking facing the camera, eg , newsreaders, or when they are off camera but still speaking, sometimes I miss half of what's being said for these reasons. :thumbdown:

• Like Like x 2
  2. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

I've worked as a freelance electronic notetaker for 20 years, working with deaf and hard of hearing people. Go onto the Action on Hearing Loss (What used to be RNID) website, and they have a catalogue - Solutions - it's really good. It's best to get your hearing tested, so they know exactly the sort of hearing loss they are dealing with. The telephone sales operatives are brilliant - they are taught to know what piece of equipment is best for what type/level of hearing loss. Also if you are registered as having a hearing loss you get it VAT free. Also there is no problem if it doesn't work for you for whatever reason, you get your money back, with no catches.

The main thing is - accept you have the loss and don't try to fight it - the earlier you get the help, the better the outcome will be.

Hope that has helped - if you need any more info, PM me and I will do my best to advise.

• Like Like x 3
  3. cliffandger

Also, join the campaign for the end of background music on TV programmes- the bane of any hard of hearing person's life but the TV companies will not accept that it's a problem!

4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Elaine has had hearing problems for years and would never get tested when our first grand kid was born 5 years ago we convinced her to go get sorted she went for a test and had earring aids fitted and hated them them for about a week
    Now she would not be parted from them it's made such a difference to her life we can talk to each other without shouting and watch tv with volume at a normal level her whole life has been improved and mine too

As already said get tested try what ever they suggest and if it's not for you then look at other ways to work around the problem

• Like Like x 2
  5. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Could something like this help?
    Google:wireless tv headphones

• Like Like x 1
  6. cliffandger

There are also loads of factsheets on the AOHL website, such as tactics for successful listening/lipreading, ie finding the best place to sit/stand in a room to make things easier for you.

I could bang on for hours on this subject - don't get me started! Joking apart, I know the misery of hearing loss for those affected and those who live with those affected!

• Like Like x 1