Immigration in Calais

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ShiftZZ, May 19, 2008.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Just arrived at Immigration/Passport desk at Calais Eurotunnnel and as normal flashed our passports, this time they wanted to kinow where we hbad been in France, when we had bought the Campervan.
    Is this a new edit?

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

We had that last year at Dover, when asked where we had been, I said France not thinking we had just got off the Calais to dover ferry, I don't think they were too impressed:Rofl1:

3. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

When we came back from Calais to Dover (a few weeks ago), we were stopped and the van was searched.
    I asked the customs officer to wipe his feet :)Laughing:) and asked if he was looking for goods or people....

A week later on the radio, it was announced that they had stripped a motorhome and found lots of drugs!

4. Scrubnuts

Scrubnuts Read Only Funster

We were parked up near Vron and were invaded by the Douane ( 5 girls and 1 bloke ) who asked the usual questions and when they found out we had been to Spain were most interested in what booze and fags we had on board.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I really had to smile a couple of years ago returning from spain by air,via east Midland Airport
    My passport was checked by two Indian princesses in full sari's and what looked like a Zulu warrior, and I had to ask them if I could come in
    I dont have a racial bone in me but couln't help see the funny side :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    GeO

6. billym

billym Read Only Funster

Custom Officers have always asked questions and made conversation. That is what

they are there for.

7. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

We got stopped saw the dogs and said move on:Laughing::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. dshague

dshague Funster

last year our van was searched . they looked in wardrobe and under seats . even asked me to open gas locker to See if any one was in there. our new van is even bigger than old one and as a double floor .hope they don't want to try and look under there .
    they did catch a man hiding in a 4x4 wile searching or van last time .:thumb:

9. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I use the euro tunnel regularly on business and I have had the full interrogation and many occasions.

10. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

And while they are checking our motor homes the illegal immigrant are all driving by us:Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

No its quite normal, we always get a tug and then thats followed by them boarding and terrorising the kids.
    Maybee its just the way I look, never look in the obvious places either, Always say there looking for immigrants, and never worry about the goods.:Eek!:

12. ricwig69

ricwig69 Read Only Funster

We got stopped coming back in the car a few years ago. The Customs Officer was as dry as sticks and asked us any amount of (seemingly) irrelevant questions, eg. where had we heard about the campsite we stayed at? Our honest answer that we hadn't until we found it was met by a very suspicious look.

When we told him we had been to the Normandy beaches, he looked mystified. When we explained: D-Day, WWII, some bit of history, he actually asked us if we had brought any weapons back with us!? I pointed out that they had mostly all been cleared away in the intervening 60 years; more blank looks.

Although (upon his request) when I showed him our boot full of muddy camping gear, he lost interest in any further search; but did take the car's logbook away for a while before returning and waving us on.

13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

The thing that concerned me was the "When did you buy the van" question could not see the relevance.

14. Briarose

Briarose

Hi we used the Euro Tunnel coming back in the middle of March, they hardly said a thing to us...........just passed a detector type thing underneath the drivers side and that was that, we also had two dogs on board.

15. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

No.....nothing new about this at all though the French side don't usually bother 'brits' too much....it's when you get back the hassle starts! Dover Port HMRC are notorious for their stop and search policy.

Generally they tend to target single males travelling alone and are primarily looking for tobacco goods. Its quite rare for them to stop a family or couple, and even more rare a single female travelling alone.

If taken to one side to be further questioned the only comparison i can make is its more akin to an interrogation. Their line of questioning may seem odd but is designed with entrapment in mind. They will ask some pretty obscure questions and take note of your reply, then ten or fifteen minutes later ask a similar question again and gauge your response. Answer differently and you may well find yourself 'digging a hole'. Thats when they dont let go....a bit like a dog at a bone. They go into everything. Place of employment, net income, Bank and/or savings account details, any debts, vehicle value, if owned, finance or rented, even how much your average weekly spend on food is! The list is endless and very intrusive.

They will also ask you to leave the keys of your vehicle with one of their officers "in case it needs to be moved". Don't let go of your keys! What they really mean is "give your keys to one of our officers because if we are not satisfied with your replies to our questions....we are going to impound your vehicle". Tell them if it needs moving you will move it....not them.

A lot depends on the type of HMRC officer you get. Most are right *******s, but once i had one who was a perfect gentleman and actually apologised for searching my car and commented "i can't understand why they sent you in to me"!

Dover Port is also the only place where i have been asked where i am going and what for on the way out! I was also asked how much money i was carrying and in what currency.

I often feel tempted to rip up my passport, turn my back on this country and wave goodbye forever to those white cliffs!

16. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

They like to know if they are dealing with someone who owns the vehicle, or if its rented. (see my above post).

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we got stopped at dunkirk on the way back.

he asked if he could look around inside.......feel free.:thumb:

in the cupboards, in the bog, under the seats, in the wardrobe, everywhere you could hide someone and some others where you couldnt.

then he said he needed to see the outside lockers, my reply.......what for, you just looked in 'em.:Wink:

look of surprise.....i havent he said.

you looked under the seats so you looked in the lockers.

oh...ok. enjoy your voyage.:Eeek::Eeek:

made me feel security was in good form that night.:Eek!:

john

18. Camperian

Camperian Read Only Funster

This thread has saved my sanity!

I thought it was only me that was always 'selected at random' for a special check whether leaving or entering the UK. As a singleton I have now got used to it.

There was one potentially embarrasing situation several years ago.

I was in my mid forties and had been visiting my parents who lived in Mallorca. On the day of departure, my mother announced "Ian, you are useless at packing, I'm going to do it for you"!

Bit strong I thought, but it got me out of a job I didn't enjoy!

As usual, I was 'pulled' at Gatwick.

"Is this your suitcase sir"?
    NO, I thought it might be fun to bring through someone else's "Yes"

"Has it ever left your sight"?
    No, I even stayed in the hold to keep an eye on it "No"

"Did you pack it yourself"?
    Um, err, my mummy actually did it for me "Yes":Blush:

Ian

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Pulled at tunnel

I was pulled over last September after a couple of weeks in France. They looked in cupboards etc but if they were looking for illegal immigrants they completely overlooked the roof box. Too much trouble to climb up there I suppose. An illegal immigrant in there would have to do without breathing of course :cry-smile:as it is pretty well airtight, but it could have held thousands of fags (it didn't but I guess we must just look dishonest).

20. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Theres lots of reasons for asking when you bought the van such as......

Could it have been used previously for smuggling and they were watching out for your regn number???

Was it made in the country you were in and did they think you were not paying the export duty????

Had they already checked your regn no against dvla records and using it just as a security question????

there are more but this is just a few

Can understand how you feel doesnt matter how innocent someone is they can make you feel like a criminal even though you havent done anything wrong :Laughing: