I'm worrying about weight now..... (1 Viewer)

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
......and I hadn't even got a MH yet.
I am restricted to 3500kg due to MH licence and after reading a few posts on here it looks like I may have to reconsider what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for at least a 4birth I will be travelling with my wife, teenager and 8 year old. I'm about 100kg on my own☺️ (Might have to go on a diet) From what I can gather I will be using half the payload on us, leaving very little for water clothing and the rest we will be needing.

Has anyone else had these issues and how do you he over them? Oram I looking at it all wrong?

Thanks for any advice

Paul

MAT900XLT

Free Member
May 2, 2013
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2013
Do you ever get weighed!!!!
If you exit M4 Junction 15 Northbound during summer weekends you have a possibility of being pulled, as the Weigh Station is within 400M of the
junction.
Local Motorhomers will usually exit Junction 16 during this time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Depends upon model Eddie. The B class has a GRP roof as standard. The difference is mine appears to have two layers of it!
@peterc10 - having discussed at length with our dealer re our Hymer, I was told the new Hymers have an overall aluminium roof ( in either white or grey), which then have the GRP covering (your white panels) bonded over most of the top. This is standard on the B class but is an option on the Exsis. Given a solar panel easily weighs 10kg it's easy to see where the 30kg weight comes from, but it should be included in your Std weight as a B class.

Opinions on its effectiveness differ, given it doesn't cover the edges of the roof, so it's still possible to get hail damage even on the B class:-(

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@peterc10 - having discussed at length with our dealer re our Hymer, I was told the new Hymers have an overall aluminium roof ( in either white or grey), which then have the GRP covering (your white panels) bonded over most of the top. This is standard on the B class but is an option on the Exsis. Given a solar panel easily weighs 10kg it's easy to see where the 30kg weight comes from, but it should be included in your Std weight as a B class.

Opinions on its effectiveness differ, given it doesn't cover the edges of the roof, so it's still possible to get hail damage even on the B class:-(
Exactly the GRP roof panels & the paint are two separate items.
Hymer tend to state the maximum weight of add ons so the same weight will be given for paint finish or GRP roof panels (in the case of the Exsis) regardless of being a 6 metre van or a 8.5 metre van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Paul, you are being very sensible!

Your boys will continue to grow so the payload available for other bits will diminish over time.

3.5 ton is doable so long as you're sensible and don't get something with loads of extras fitted as they can add a heck of a lot of weight, and don't go for anything too big.

The Chausson range on the whole have a very good payload with the ones on the Ford base being better than the equivalent Fiat ones, I assume because the Ford is slightly narrower. We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 which had a 'true' payload of over 700kg and we never got close to using it!

If you can tell us:
  • your budget
  • age of vehicle you're looking for
  • your preferred layout
  • what 'toys' your likely to want to take with you
  • what equipment you need on the MH
we can see if there's anything that meets your requirements.
Hi Minxy girl

I have just found how to pay my subs

We are looking around 20000 - 25000 maybe stretching to 27000

Looking for an age from 2005 onwards

4 berth with good length beds

We have been looking at a bessacarr e435 2005 at the bottom end of our budget and at the top end a swift escape 664 2010 and a Autoquest 145 2010

I do prefer the low lines for looks and also I'm not sure how comfortable the over cabin beds are?

Thanks for any advice you can give us

Paul

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had a ci mizar gtl living . 2006 model ( changed build quality and layout after that )
It had bunk beds and an over cab kingsize bed that we slept in. The big lounge , L shaped sofa ( 2 seat belts) and bench sofa , along with the swivel front seats made a good family lounge. It also had a separate shower cubical and decent sized loo area.
Great van . We had ours reupholstered to modernise it.
Great family van. You can still pick up the older models. Up to 2006. Have a look . This was ours. We loved it, great with the kids.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ci-mizar-gtl-living-topclass-2006-30k-on-clock.105202/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow nice van, I love the upholstery how much did that set you back as the look of some of the vans are of putting

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Don't let a manky interior put you off. You can always get it redone.
we had that done at a place I wouldn't recommend at all though !!
Saying that quite a few people on here have used them , and been very happy. Ours must have been an off one.
They had to redo curtains and nets ( unmatched lengths it just mm , inches! ) and sofa covers ( unmatched stripes puckered stitching ) they weren't there when we turned up . 120 miles for us , local for them. The son arrived eventually after 3 hours , hung over in a taxi after a wedding the night before , forgot the warehouse keys, so we had to wait for someone to bring keys. We let the them keep the MH for a week too ! Traveling back on the train ! Then back on the train when it was ready.
Very disappointed. But They did sort it , while we went out for lunch to a local pub and a look about town.
And we were given a bottle of cava and some out of date chocolates ( that had gone white ) :Eeek: which was a nice gesture haha

All that for not much less than a place we would fully recommend ! Which is REGAL
http://www.regalfurnishings.co.uk/
Another family run company .
Fantastic service from start to finish. Fantastic results. Nothing needed redoing. All done in the day , whilst they took us into town and picked us up.
They did a cracking job on our self build Pug. Totally recommend regal to anyone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Luvin156

Luvin156

Free Member
Apr 23, 2016
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Soon too buy
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't let a manky interior put you off. You can always get it redone.
we had that done at a place I wouldn't recommend at all though !!
Saying that quite a few people on here have used them , and been very happy. Ours must have been an off one.
They had to redo curtains and nets ( unmatched lengths it just mm , inches! ) and sofa covers ( unmatched stripes puckered stitching ) they weren't there when we turned up . 120 miles for us , local for them. The son arrived eventually after 3 hours , hung over in a taxi after a wedding the night before , forgot the warehouse keys, so we had to wait for someone to bring keys. We let the them keep the MH for a week too ! Traveling back on the train ! Then back on the train when it was ready.
Very disappointed. But They did sort it , while we went out for lunch to a local pub and a look about town.
And we were given a bottle of cava and some out of date chocolates ( that had gone white ) :Eeek: which was a nice gesture haha

All that for not much less than a place we would fully recommend ! Which is REGAL
http://www.regalfurnishings.co.uk/
Another family run company .
Fantastic service from start to finish. Fantastic results. Nothing needed redoing. All done in the day , whilst they took us into town and picked us up.
They did a cracking job on our self build Pug. Totally recommend regal to anyone.

Thanks for that recommendation I will drop them a line

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back