I'm new too! (1 Viewer)

sundancekid

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
shropshire
Funster No
Exp
Just
Hi to all you well experienced motorhomers. I am so new at this game that I actually have not got a motorhome yet but I am spending a lot of time (and money) looking. So many questions, so little time. I will posting lots of questions soon so be prepared to get the old grey matter working. I am in sunny (but rather chilly at the moment) Shropshire, where there are amazingly few motorhome dealerships (why are they are in the east and south?)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi sundancekid

Welcome and eveyones advice will be the same, do not rush and layout suitable for your needs is the main criteria.

Spend time looking at plenty and sit around in them and fiddle with things no good dealership will mind at all.

There are one or two interesting places to look near the M6 up north of you in Lancashire

what ever you decide on ENJOY

Cheers Alan and Lynda

KenandSue

Free Member
Feb 20, 2010
West London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Less than 1
Hi sundancekid :welcomefunster:

We are new to it too - really loving it, so good luck with your search!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Welcome to the forum! Don't worry if it takes time to find your first one - average owner takes around 2 years! lol!

It is a case of looking round as many you can - show season is coming, so maybe book yourself some tickets and have a browse - they are not all new, many dealers bring some used too!

Good luck!

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Hello Sundancekid! I'm the same sort of new as you :Smile:

Have you decided anything about the layout you'd like yet? I'm finally settled on a rear lounge/overcab set up and am now trying to get my head round all the options relating to technical stuff about heating and water storage quantities and ... um ... all the other things that I ought to be thinking about but haven't yet learned that I don't know :ROFLMAO:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Hi Sundance We haven't a MH either but the sites great for info and the Craic.
I get quite envious when people start saying where they're going to!!!!:RollEyes:

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello Sundancekid! I'm the same sort of new as you :Smile:

Have you decided anything about the layout you'd like yet? I'm finally settled on a rear lounge/overcab set up and am now trying to get my head round all the options relating to technical stuff about heating and water storage quantities and ... um ... all the other things that I ought to be thinking about but haven't yet learned that I don't know :ROFLMAO:

I hope you don`t mind me joining this thread, however I feel it`s relevant for us too.

It`s the technical stuff regarding 12 volt that I am looking at now, as we are upgrading our Motorhome to a Dethleffs and want to get it right this time. Our present Pilote Galaxy 75 hasn`t given us all that we needed when travelling Scotland early spring...and late autumn...the times we tend to explore and enjoy.

This time we`d like to know that we are comfortable...we are settling on a rear lounge, A Class (drop down bed ) set up too !! Now I`m trying to make sure that we include what is necessary to run our two pc`s..TV...and chargers with peace of mind that we have enough power every day. It seems for Scotland, at the times we go, that solar is not the way to go...as experienced in our Pilote. So any advice from anyone who can advise us would be so very much appreciated.

We intend adding another leisure battery....and, as we generally have to wild camp at that time of year with a stay on a camp site every week to empty and fill up with what we need, ( maximum we`ve ever stayed in one place wind camping has been 4 days)...we like to know what we should include on the new motorhome to cover our 12 volt needs with peace of mind. The maximum use of TV would be around 4 hours per day....and, as photographers, two laptops ( with special cigarette adapters I have been advised ) for say 3 hours each a day a day....and the usual camera battery chargers.

With our solar panel, at this time of year, the Inverter was always screaming at us from low voltage at some point every day !! :shout:

Any help anyone can give us on this subject would be really appreciated ::bigsmile:....as the amount we are about to spend is substantial to say the least, and would like to be able to relax in comfort.

I hope i`ve explained that well enough ?...any questions, suggestions and advice is welcomed.....and thanks in advance :Smile:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Hi sundancekid I dont have a MH yet as you can see from the posts you are not alone but you have joined the best forum to find out what you need to know:thumb:
I work in Shropshire and when in the office I sit next to a window thats overlooking the m54 so I can see all the funster drive past and I turn green but one day that will be me too:thumb::thumb:
Welcome to the funsters

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
No MH as yet:cry:....still doing lots of homework....looking and trying is the best way to go...we looked at Chausson MHs at the weekend...nice but not for us. It really is a process even down to the colour of the veneer woodwork. We walked into one MH and hubby turned round and said "good God I feel like I'm in a coffin":Eeek:........its funny we have our favourite MH make which has been in the running from the very beginning and stays there thus far. Lots of info on here and its a great and exciting learning curve. We are some way off from purchasing....but enjoying the process none the less....anyways hello:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site, the Beast in my avatar is now for sale, details below

Link Removed

we have an active chatroom, and have a quiz night there on a thursday 8-9pm

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Welcome to the Funsters, you have picked a great Form to become a member of :thumb:

Good luck to all of you looking for your first motorhomes, it is great fun searching and looking at as many different types as possible to make your final choice.

We never researched layouts or thought about anything technical when we bought our first van, it was all done purely on a very tight budget.

We thought we had got it right when we bought our 2nd van and for 18 months it was fine, but we had issues with various aspects of what we had thought was our perfect layout :Doh:

Then we found our current Motorhome and it was love at first sight much to the disgust of the bank manager when we blew the budget and a big chunk of our savings :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 4 years on and our "Wendy House" it is still our perfect home from home.

Tina

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:welcomefunster:
Hi to all you well experienced motorhomers. I am so new at this game that I actually have not got a motorhome yet but I am spending a lot of time (and money) looking. So many questions, so little time. I will posting lots of questions soon so be prepared to get the old grey matter working. I am in sunny (but rather chilly at the moment) Shropshire, where there are amazingly few motorhome dealerships (why are they are in the east and south?)
Hello and welcome to the fun. If you think your area is short on dealers you should try Scotland.Hope you find what your looking for.:thumb: :welcome:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi sundancekid :welcomefunster:

If any one needs any 'newbie advice', a phone call and we will be happy to advise. Doesnt matter if you dont want to buy any of ours!

Pter

OP
OP
sundancekid

sundancekid

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
shropshire
Funster No
Exp
Just
Thank you all for your warm welcomes:Smile:

Have been looking at some of the posts on the various forums. I think it is fair to say that you are all mad! Nice to know I am in good company.:Eeek:

All I need now is a motorhome so I can get out and about and you never know, I might run in to some of you (in the nicest possible way of course).

Just hope that the following days get better. After the day I've had, (boiler at home broke, lost all my photos on my 'puter, no reply from job application.)....could do with a drink:beerchug:

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Do not jump in feet first, look, look & look again, we went to loads of shows and every dealer we saw we went in & looked, poked & sat in everything we could. We took about 2 years to find what we thought we wanted, lived with it for two years, the second van lasted three years, now this one is it!!!!
It's only time will tell-don't rush.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back