I'm finished with Rock and Roll

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by makems, Oct 18, 2012.

1. makems

makems Funster Life Member

We had air suspension fitted to our Rapido at the Lincoln Show and WhAT a difference it has made. The Merc Sprinter chassis is so softly sprung at the rear that it would rock wickedly from side to side over even quite innocuous bumps. Going round a mini roundabout required the passenger to hold on for dear life to avoid being flung from his seat.
    Well no more! The airbags have made an amazing difference - one of our better investments.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I had them on my FFB, but none on the Merc 410 chassis. Have got a price to have the rear springs re tensioned and an extra leaf put in for £125 both sides, which is much much cheaper than the price quoted for air suspension. Its going in on Monday to my mechanic who will take the springs off and Jones Springs need them 24 hrs for the work. Hope this will stiffen her up a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Fitted Air suspension to mine earlier this year and it transformed the handling.:thumb:

4. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

Got air suspension on ours and the ride is spot on. easily adjusted too.

5. JJ

JJ Funster

Airbag assisted suspension ROOLS OK?

JJ :Cool:

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

And people say the Fiat is too hard on the back but the merc is too soft

7. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Which did you go for/ fitted by ??

8. veevee

veevee Funster

The usual rule is if you increase spring tension you must also increase damping too, it's a proportional thing.

9. Snowbird

Am only bringing the springs back up to there original spec. The motorhome is now 22 years old and its a heavy body, so re tensioning is the answer. I have fitted an extra fuel tank on the opposite side to the water tank, so the extra leaf is to compensate for this and allow me to travel with full water tank.
    Have spoken to Jones springs of Darlaston who are well known and respected in the field of suspension and they have advised me this is the way to go in my situation.
    There is I believe only one air suspension kit in the UK at the moment suitable for this vehicle and the cost would be most prohibitive for the full kit, complete with gauges and pump. New shocs were fitted last year.

10. veevee

veevee Funster

Don't mean to be argumentative but you did mention an extra leaf in each spring on top of re-tensioning. That changes the rate of springing and shock absorbers have only one purpose, to control the spring rate.
    It was always match damping to spring rate, never worked to any other formula.

Used to use Jones Springs a fair bit way back, a good company too, so am not going to argue against their advice.

What was your view on air suspension on your FFB, did it work as you hoped?

11. Snowbird

Hi, The air suspension on the FFB was factory fitted from new and was very good indeed.
    the problem with fitting air on my Merc is its now an old chassis and the units are no longer made for it. There are a few new/old stock units but they are not only like hens teeth they are well over priced. Will speak to Jones today and ask about your concerns as I want to get it right first time.

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We had AS Air suspension fit out our Hymer, We tow a heavy trailer and it made a big difference to the handling. When not towing we sit a little high at the rear so only have just enough air in to protect the bags.

No matter how heavy the nose weight of the trailer, the raised suspension makes the trailer look empty. :thumb:

13. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

When reviving springs, they are reheated and cooled under tension. This allows the metal 'crystals' to tighten back up from being stretched. Only down side is, that each time this is done is slightly alters the elemental make up of the metal, and thus changes it's character.

This means that to reinstate the spring to it's original condition would be fine with just heating, but to maintain that strength and load carrying to original for a period of time, would need an extra 'fresh' spring to ensure it maintained shape better.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry

Terry Funster

NoJJ full rear air suspicion ROOLS OK :BigGrin:
    Terry

15. makems

Our air bags were supplied and fiitted by Airride at Lincoln show Price was £520 which was a show "special" ( so he said). I asked him he had a good show - "Crap. He said. "Never gonna do it again ". It's the simple system with valves and pressure gauge in the ffotwell. None of these fancy compressors and dials on the dashboard.

16. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Thank God for that!!!!!!! I thought you meant no more AC/DC or Deep Purple, phew :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

17. makems

Thank God for that!!!!!!! I thought you meant no more AC/DC or Deep Purple, phew [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Those that know me well know that a Les Paul guitar and a loud amplifier will ever be far from my hands.

18. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

Spot on "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution" I fly my Paragliders with it booming in my ears lol. :BigGrin: