I'm coming round to the 'Drive thru France' to Spain idea..... (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Road miles are cheaper than sea miles.

For us it would be Calais to Parc Futuroscope Aire on Day 1, Futuroscope to Anglet aire on Day 2 (allows for some evening beach time in summer) then straight into Spain early on Day 3.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I did Barcelona and back last January...... F**king freezing, few places open... if you 'do' France in Winter, get South as quickly as possible, ferry or peage....

(y)

No different then to driving after 10pm at night in summer ? Apart from a bit warmer.:)

£200...........£200 :eek: Crikey Judge, I know you like to drive fast but ......:rolleyes:
That is a bit steep considering Barca is 1000kms from me
Reminds me of going to Uk one year when I used car & toll roads via Barca. Even though I then went up centre of France ,on which only toll is the Millau bridge, it still cost me 425€ each way . 225€ diesel & around 200 € in tolls.
& this was still cheaper then a return Plymouth -Santander crossing.:xdoh:
Never again would I use toll roads, even in a car . Even taking in to account slightly lower fuel consumption using non toll stop start roads through the villages & towns it still wouldn't equate to toll costs.

One thing I don't like about ferries is the engine vibration. Certainly couldn't put up with it/sleep on a long crossing.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No different then to driving after 10pm at night in summer ? Apart from a bit warmer.:)

That is a bit steep considering Barca is 1000kms from me
Reminds me of going to Uk one year when I used car & toll roads via Barca. Even though I then went up centre of France ,on which only toll is the Millau bridge, it still cost me 425€ each way . 225€ diesel & around 200 € in tolls.
& this was still cheaper then a return Plymouth -Santander crossing.:xdoh:
Never again would I use toll roads, even in a car . Even taking in to account slightly lower fuel consumption using non toll stop start roads through the villages & towns it still wouldn't equate to toll costs.

One thing I don't like about ferries is the engine vibration. Certainly couldn't put up with it/sleep on a long crossing.

my £200 probably completely wrong..Ignore my contribution please:) I seem to remember filling up 3 times? I'll leave it for others to work out as I dont really care what it cost as aint going near them boats(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
For anyone planning a trip through France this weather forecast site is good as it gives weather models for months in advance. http://www.metcheck.com/WORLD/europe.asp
I used it to plan my trip 'doon the rood' to Portsmouth hopefully avoiding snow in Scotland and keeping an eye on temps. Then will keep an eye on the weather in northern spain. Slightly more scientific than putting a pin in a calendar.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just realised I left out:

Newhaven/Dieppe ............. £72 for the ferry and £55 for the diesel = £127 (y)

I meant to say prob use this one :)
You maybe paying too much for the ferry, are you eligable for the 20% discount (over 60) also saves about a fiver if you pay in Euro.
With your fuel cost you must be getting 50 mpg , I reckon £100 for fuel Newhaven to Bilbao, £90 if you use the toll roads, baised on 26mpg as won't be hanging about this time of year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You maybe paying too much for the ferry, are you eligable for the 20% discount (over 60) also saves about a fiver if you pay in Euro.
With your fuel cost you must be getting 50 mpg , I reckon £100 for fuel Newhaven to Bilbao, £90 if you use the toll roads, baised on 26mpg as won't be hanging about this time of year.

This is one of those few occasions when I wish I was older ;)

As for the miles I worked on 35mpg but only to the Spanish border. The 650 mile journey to Bilbao would cost about £64 for me at 'French prices'. If I were to drive at my 'usual' touring speed of 55mph indicated then I would reckon on 42 mpg (£53)

Normally the 'tour' is the reason for travel for us but in this particular case we just want to dash there reasonably quickly (y)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm ............... I really must get out more :rolleyes:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

As for the miles I worked on 35mpg but only to the Spanish border. The 650 mile journey to Bilbao would cost about £64 for me at 'French prices'. If I were to drive at my 'usual' touring speed of 55mph indicated then I would reckon on 42 mpg (£53)

Normally the 'tour' is the reason for travel for us but in this particular case we just want to dash there reasonably quickly (y)
There is a fuzzy vehicle bit in the middle of this, if the conditions are more arduous the harder the electrical system works and uses more fuel. Plus all that mileage will add to maybe a little depreciation and of course general system wear and tear.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've done both and at different times of year, and enjoyed both. Much depends on any time constraint for me. Meandering down the Atlantic coast and across Spain in early Autumn was a real pleasure, so much so we took 3 weeks each way, coming back via Cassis, Beaune, Epernay, and the Somme.
Taking the overnight ferry from both Portsmouth and Plymouth to Santander and using the savings from Club Voyage to get a top class cabin was very pleasant too.
Pros and cons for both of course. Time, fuel, stress or otherwise, wear and tear, convenience, you name it. I wouldn't rule out either option. But I hope you have a great trip all the same! Gary

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
I had to rush to spain once,living in kent it was a no brainer.We left home 6pm friday evening jumped on the ferry at Dover to Calais then drove down using motorway all the way via lyon and down (was the year before the viaduct opened )we arrived at our destination just outside Tossa (nr Llorett) at 11am on the saturday.
I much prefer to drive down but at a slower pace taking in the villages

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Having just checked the ferry prices for January I am beginning to think that going via Calais instead of Bilbao is not such a daft idea :rolleyes:

The saving once the cost of diesel is taken into account is approx £200 one way :eek:

Does the panel (hehe, I know you're all out there:whistle:) have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

:xgrin:
My wife and I did France (Newhaven-Dieppe) to Benicassim two small tolls, total price £247

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
A good point was raised about prolonged driving on salted roads on the long drive down to southern Spain if the weather is bad. There's nothing worse than having the underneath of a motorhome plastered in de-icing salts, it attacks all the exposed metal, in particular the brake pipes so it's all about trusting your luck. I've booked the Portsmouth Santander ferry again as always, it's our preferred way.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The first year we did it we used aires.. After that.. motorway stops and the like..
Main reason is ease and speed.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
View attachment 85512

Above is result of some calc`s recently done. SWMBO had suggested Flying to Spain for a break. (Benidorm actually) So I ran down some figures.

Interesting exercise in that you can have Twice as long for a lot less per day!.

Pete

BUT you have to compare like with like!

I don't know where your figures are from, but assuming £38 is available throughout the holiday (in fact, it might get reduced) then the fly-drive line could become:

£300 + £38 * 28 (=£1064) = £1364 Total > £48.71 per day (2nd cheapest option?)

I love my MH and prefer "home" cooking to paying money for basic meals, so that would need factoring in to any choices - Gordon

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
A good point was raised about prolonged driving on salted roads on the long drive down to southern Spain if the weather is bad. There's nothing worse than having the underneath of a motorhome plastered in de-icing salts, it attacks all the exposed metal, in particular the brake pipes so it's all about trusting your luck. I've booked the Portsmouth Santander ferry again as always, it's our preferred way.
Plays havoc with the finish on the MH as well, and the only way to get rid of salt from underneath is to get right under there with a hose pipe/spray gun into every orifice, which are many in a van!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The last 2 years we have driven through France down to south of Spain normally leaving around the 20 December, this year we are getting the Ferry from Portsmouth - Santander. This has nothing to do with costs/fuel etc. For us it is about saving time as I am still unfortunate to be working so only have 2 weeks off work at xmas. Not going through France and back will save approx 2-3 days which is a lot for us. Also self employed so any extra days costs a lot more, no brainer for us.

If it were about costs then it would always be the drive down through France to Spain. Everybody has different priorities/needs but if you have the time and want to save money then drive :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Eh? is French salt any worse than British salt?
Not sure, but he who does not clean the underneath of any road vehicle regularly in the winter will start loosing brake pipes and getting corrosion. I have a mate in the auto trade who twice yearly coats his vehicle underneath with what looks like a centimetre of Waxoyl! After 8 years there is no rust on it, but he has the equipment and aptitude to do this. Certainly if I was doing any prolonged mileage in my MH in salt I would definitely Waxoyl as much as possible underneath. It amazes me how the underneath of vehicles are sometimes neglected in terms of regular washing and protection until its too late.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not sure, but he who does not clean the underneath of any road vehicle regularly in the winter will start loosing brake pipes and getting corrosion. I have a mate in the auto trade who twice yearly coats his vehicle underneath with what looks like a centimetre of Waxoyl! After 8 years there is no rust on it, but he has the equipment and aptitude to do this. Certainly if I was doing any prolonged mileage in my MH in salt I would definitely Waxoyl as much as possible underneath. It amazes me how the underneath of vehicles are sometimes neglected in terms of regular washing and protection until its too late.
I agree with you, but for me it makes no difference as we use the van all year (and Scotland has a LOT of salt) :unsure:

Edit: haha, just realised you are in Weegie Land too :oops:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I agree with you, but for me it makes no difference as we use the van all year (and Scotland has a LOT of salt) :unsure:

Aberdeenshire was worse than down here for salt :xblink:
Also it is true that garaging a salty vehicle is a corrosion magnet, as the salt wicks up every bit of moisture and keeps on working at the vehicles surfaces without being washed off!

I do have salt paranoia :xsurprised:

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hold up a mo ............. this is serious thread drift ..........

Er, wait a sec, it's my thread so it's alright (y) tee hee

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Having lived in France for 12+ years, salting/gritting is a rarity, especially precautionary gritting.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

How on earth are you getting those sorts of mpg figures! 35mpg and 42mpg ... are you sure they're right????

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For several years around here they have been using some weird stuff that I THINK is derived from sugar beet
It is as sticky as all hell but does do a very good job on the roads

Not sure if it was a long term thing or they just tried it for a few years..

Me, if I worried about salt etc I would never move the van or cars.

In the UK, they put it down at the merest hint of a cold snap ( don;t blame them, as they get completely lambasted if the stuff aint down within seconds of an ice crystal starting to form ) and anyone who thinks it all gets washed away is sadly mistaken !
Several years ago I was vaguely involved in a test undertaken by a council to discover how long the salt is active for
It was still being sampled in mid June on some roads !!!!!!!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
For us it would be Calais to Parc Futuroscope Aire on Day 1, Futuroscope to Anglet aire on Day 2 (allows for some evening beach time in summer) then straight into Spain early on Day 3.
Ideal spot Futuroscope. + over the road you can also park in the station & by Aldi's.:xThumb:
You get a lovely view on the glass bridge from station across road to the Futuroscope site.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
For several years around here they have been using some weird stuff that I THINK is derived from sugar beet
It is as sticky as all hell but does do a very good job on the roads

Not sure if it was a long term thing or they just tried it for a few years..

Me, if I worried about salt etc I would never move the van or cars.

In the UK, they put it down at the merest hint of a cold snap ( don;t blame them, as they get completely lambasted if the stuff aint down within seconds of an ice crystal starting to form ) and anyone who thinks it all gets washed away is sadly mistaken !
Several years ago I was vaguely involved in a test undertaken by a council to discover how long the salt is active for
It was still being sampled in mid June on some roads !!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to worry about salt in Norfolk just Mud, Mud and more Mud. It certainly protects the underneath though.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seeing as others are doing it.

Motorhome is a tag axle Chieftain
Minimum MPG 20
Average MPG 21.5 ( 11.23 kpl )
Highest MPG 23

From Thetford to Benidorm using NO toll roads, and going a longer route to avoid mountainous areas is 2743 miles return

UK leg
Diesel in UK average £1.09 ( = £4.95 per gallon )
mileage in UK ( return ) 253
Cost of UK leg ( return, using Chunnel ) £58.24

French leg
Diesel in France average £3.74
Mileage ( return ) 1610
Cost of french leg £280.06

Spanish leg
Diesel average £3.40 per gallon
Mileage ( return ) 880
Cost of Spanish leg ( return ) £139.16

Chunnel tickets ( inc discount for Tescos vouchers ) £154.20

Total £631.66