I'm an idiot - damaged new motorhome (1 Viewer)

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Had cause to be cursing youths who were partially blocking my route up our shared drive as I reversed up - I was looking too much at them and the trailer I was slaloming round and not at my slowly approaching motorhome in my mirror.

As a result, I reversed into my own motorhome. The impact was not enough to even wipe the dirt off the car but has resulted in this damage.

I'm struggling to find somebody that will do the repair in time for us going away on the 16th and was hoping there are some GRP experts out there to advise. I was considering stop drilling and just applying a bit of fibreglass repair kit to the rear side until I get home but in experience would it continue to crack ?
The rear metal support is bent here right behind the crack and I've moved it back forward to release any pressure on the crack.

DSCF3365_zpstexr7x4w.jpg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ouch, that is the most annoying thing to do to yourself. To say it could happen to any of us is of no consolation.
Hope you get it fixed.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear that but your not the first nor will be the last.

Looks as if it will be easy repaired if you take your time. And a lesson to be learned. I haven't made the same mistake twice and hopefully you wont either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I feel for you.... done some idiotic things whilst being distracted by my "head"...and EGO... :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would drill it for now at least.
As it will need flatting and painting for a lot more than the damaged area you could pop rivet a small metal plate on the back for now....rivets from the outside of course.
The repair should cover the rivet holes once removed.
Surprising how much vibration there will be on the loose bits.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Did very similar damage to ours - I think it was around £250 for repair inc respray
I wouldn't have minded, but the wife had already offered to get out and see me back. Of course being a bloke, I graciously declined her kind (but seemingly unrequired) offer of help. :whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It doesn't need drilling (but it won't hurt it) as its already reinforced with random orientation glass fibre which will stop it getting any worse, if it's going to flap just put something behind at the bottom edge a bit of wood and drill through underneath and screw it.

Repair will be easy but could need paint really to finish it off, at the moment it will just be gel and no paint, a decent place might bo it with matching gel and rub back.

Martin

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Duct tape is a wonderful thing.
White is available for a temp repair.

Richard.
I would agree with that. Maybe a small stop hole at the end of the crack and cover it all with white duct tape. The less you do before a professional repair the better

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Superglue a piece of plastic to rear, tempory clamp in place whilst set. Repair later. Picked this up watching builders fix facia trim, used to use nails, now use 2 part superglue.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would agree with that. Maybe a small stop hole at the end of the crack and cover it all with white duct tape. The less you do before a professional repair the better
I agree with Dux, don't go glas sing the back as it will just make it harder to repair properly, I know you want it looking nice but it won't take any harm if you just put a reinforcing plate or something behind it.

Martin

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Superglue a piece of plastic to rear, tempory clamp in place whilst set. Repair later. Picked this up watching builders fix facia trim, used to use nails, now use 2 part superglue.
Just an addition. I've seen a spay used which is an excelerant ( speeds the setting process up ) spray on first, apply glue, push together and sets immediately. Think you should be able to get from any facia company. Goggle local firms or yellow pages
Ray

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don't beat yourself up. I've reversed in to mother in laws nearly new car,a tree,and a white van,although not all at the same time. I'm OK going forwards.
Use duct tape for now.
Relax.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I wouldn't touch it, Please don't even consider Drilling/ Rivetting/ Clamping/ Glueing or any other temporary repair it will only make it more difficult for a professional to do a correct repair.

Fiberglass is extremely robust and though you've cracked it, it's very unlikely to get worse as it's not in a stress area and even if it moved a bit it's a lot less hassle to repair correctly without some botched up make good temporary repair.

So you have to drive with a bump on the rear! Who cares,just enjoy your trip and sort it when you get back.

Brian.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had a similar but larger crack to the rear of our previous motorhome. It survived with some duct tape for nearly a year before we got the damage properly repaired very cheaply and to a very good standard in Morocco.

OP
OP
adt

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all.
The repair company is going to see if they can squeeze me in, but if not I think I'll try the extra strong tape ..... and a bit of steel bar, riveted, glued and then fibreglassed ! :whistle:;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm in conversation with Bendalls (r-hind) but looks like they cannot get me in until the 13th and need it for 6 days.
The Hayling island one is a bit distant but there are boat repairers round Windermere I could try, thanks.
Make sure the boat repairer can match the Gel coat you don't want it sprayed. Any good boat repairer should be able to do, I was amazed at how good the repair was to the front of my Hymer that a local boat guy did.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If I remember rightly, @peterc10 had to wait awhile for a repair to be done to the front of his Hymer. It was a similar crack, but larger. I'm fairly sure he just used duct tape on his & I don't think the crack got any worse in the meantime.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks all.
The repair company is going to see if they can squeeze me in, but if not I think I'll try the extra strong tape ..... and a bit of steel bar, riveted, glued and then fibreglassed ! :whistle:;)
If you want to do something useful you could contact the manufacturer of your van and ask then what is the RAL number for the Gelcoat, the repairer will want to know this.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want to do something useful you could contact the manufacturer of your van and ask then what is the RAL number for the Gelcoat, the repairer will want to know this.

Martin
I don't know about other manufacturers but Hymer don't have have any codes for the Gel coat but any good repairer will be able to match it.

This was my damage, after the repair you could not see any sign of a repair even the glass behind the panel blended in perfectly.
IMG_20160327_111523.jpg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If I remember rightly, @peterc10 had to wait awhile for a repair to be done to the front of his Hymer. It was a similar crack, but larger. I'm fairly sure he just used duct tape on his & I don't think the crack got any worse in the meantime.
Simon is correct. The duct tape lasted for 5,000 miles before I got the repair done. And it was holding the number plate on as well!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back