Im all for fun

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Casper the Ghost, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Casper the Ghost

Casper the Ghost Read Only Funster

Hi been motorhoming for about 9 years not too serious about it and time has been limited but hoping to make up for it this year 74 supposed to be retired but the wife keeps me at it did I say at what NO!!! . Anyhow we are off early Jan fromDover on the 6:30 am ferry to Calais to the south of spain La Manga Murcia Malaga area and looking for the best route trying to avoid as much toll roads as poss can any of you exp travellers advise route with suitable overnight stops we are travelling in a 7mtr 3ltr unit and can cover a fair distance in a day. Tks in anticipation
    Casper

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to Fun, enjoy and have a good trip to the sun.

Peter

3. artona

artona

Have fun in Spain Casper :BigGrin:

4. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

Hi welcome, relax & enjoy

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Casper

There are plenty of routes through France, though snow, if its around, might affect which high routes you travel. A good map a one eye on the weather and you'll be fine, just explore away heading in a general southerly direction:thumb:

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Casper, welcome to the fun. there are two main routes the coastal route which is flat and at time quite boring and the central A20 route. This route is easy to drive and there is always an "N" road alternative when you come to toll sections so it it possible to get south without massive toll bills. There are ,any plces of interest along this route. France is a huge country please don't dismiss it in your rush to get south into Spain you are paying for the fuel so enjoy the trip. As to places to stop. "All the aires of France" is a good place to start it is in English! Published and sold by Vicarious books (members on this site)
    http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/
    give them your Fun membership number for a discount.

7. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and Welcome

for toll free routes stick to the N roads they are excellent roads, but for some big cities e.g. Bordeaux it is a good idea to jump on the toll road to get round it rather than through it. A good french map book is a good idea and of course Tomtom makes it easier. We tend to do a mix of N roads and the free and toll motorways.
    France is colder than England in the winter so make sure your heaters work, we tend to get through with 2 overnight stops if we are not pushing time

If you have tomtom just set it so it says no toll and it should only put you on a toll road if there is no alternative

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Usually it's hard to beat Google maps. Just tell it you don't want tolls and it will give a really good route and let you play around with it.

9. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

I never knew that dammit. Paid full price for the 3 books I bought from them :Doh:

David

10. Casper the Ghost

Casper the Ghost Read Only Funster

You ask if my cup is half full or half empty
    well today I had a full bottle of Iron Bru It was half empty by lunch time and no one admitted drinking it so I spent the afternoon just waiting for someone to Rift
    Csper