I'm after a capsule espresso coffee machine for domestic use. (2 Viewers)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Dolce Gusto for me also. I do agree that it could be a tad hotter so now I warm the mugs in the microwave half filled with water. Personally I am a latte fan, but I don't drink a lot of coffee. The capsules aren't cheap but there is a good variety including chilled teas etc for summer.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think you have to pay many many thousands of pounds to get the miracle machine that @Chris has obviously purchased. :whistle2: :wink:

Yes ok,that bit was BS.

It's nice coffee though and low in calories.:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I couldn't find a pod I liked so we have one of these

9062135_R_Z001A_UC1246760

Amazing coffee at the press of a button..

The version for the campervan doesn't seem to exist though so its a caffetiere when mobile.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had a coffee machine bought for us at xmas i call it the white elephant as prior to its arrival we had 5 cups of instant coffee a year now the elephant is costing me a tenner a week and i cant not have it out as my son bought it for us

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have a Nespresso machine with milk frother at home, works for me as I like convenience. The price per cup is relatively expensive, but the coffee tastes good. The pods purchased tend to be at the high end of the intensity scale, unless my son demands some of those strange vanilla or chocolate concoctions :sick:

Interesting how many visitors keep popping in for a coffee since we got it too.

But we make do with instant in the van. Perhaps that needs to change, life is too short to drink crap coffee.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Tassimo, use Costa Pads from Amazon. Either use the creamer pod, or a battery operated whisk to froth up milk, with an Americano. My hubby adds an Expresso as he likes it stronger. I use the Decaf Pods. I warm our Thermos travel mugs and have our coffee on the go....perfect

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Going back to the Mini Me! We noticed the offers floating around and ordered one to collect from Argos at £63 if I remember right. Walking through town I popped into the Co-op and they had it for £60 so bought it there instead. Last week they were on offer in Sainsbury's for £40. :crying1:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
All nespresso shops have a coffee bar in them so you can sample the coffee, whichever flavour you like and see how easy it is to use and clean.

I'm a big fan and loved it so much we bought one for the RV too.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also a coffee lover and use a Gaggia Classic .. and was tempted by a Nespresso.. until I saw the cost of pods .. 40p per cup. :eek:

we each drink at least 4 cups per day... that works out rather expensive..

I'm not tight, but a 1kg bag of decent coffee beans from Makro, costs £6, and using 5gm per cup, = 200 cups = 3p each

Even if it cost £10 per kg, it would still only be 5p per cup ..

however.. I can see the benefit for the motorhome, no mess and no fuss.. so may buy one..

@GeriatricWanderer , thanks for starting an interesting thread..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Also a coffee lover and use a Gaggia Classic .. and was tempted by a Nespresso.. until I saw the cost of pods .. 40p per cup. :eek:
I'm not tight, but a 1kg bag of decent coffee beans from Makro, costs £6, and using 5gm per cup, = 200 cups = 3p each
however.. I can see the benefit for the motorhome, no mess and no fuss.. so may buy one..
:whistle:

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014

The pods aren't as cheap as beans, ranging from 31p upwards, depends on flavours, offers, etc.

I'm just hoping that one day George Clooney will recognise the aroma and drop in for a cuppa haha

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Whilst I like the idea of these pod things I have to say 40p per cup is high for something that you have no idea what inside that pod! I have long been a fan of grinding my own beans and filtering the coffee at whatever strength I want.
I bought one of these for the MH and one for the house total cost 25 quid. Money well spent.

cup1.jpg

• Featuring a clever double wall construction to keep your coffee (or tea) 3 times hotter and fresher for longer! Dishwasher safe.

Simply boil water on gas - grind or buy ground coffee add to strength wanted - plunge and enjoy.

Cost of coffee? around 5p a cup or if you really want to be outrageous 10p a cup.........

NO EHU needed in MH and at home simple boil kettle.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We do it the old fashioned way, grind the beans, make the coffee in a De Longhi machine. Used to own a Briel machine which was superior but couldn't find a replacement. Much cheaper and nicer than pods especially when you buy Kilo bags of beans, keep them in the freezer once opened. In the van we use a Moka type stove top, makes excellent coffee.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
With the 15% Subscribe and Save discount my Dolci Gusto pods cost between 18.5p and 21p, depending on strength probably, that's Americano/Lungo/Grande Intenso/Cafe au Lait etc. The 2 pod varieties Chocochino/Cappuccino double that price per cup but still a lot cheaper than Coffee Costa and just as enjoyable.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Now I drink 4 cups of coffee a day, so your pods are 21p each = 0.84 a day or £5.88 a week and worse still £305.76 a year............ Thats just me add the wife and thats £611.52 a year.

Thats a lot of camp site fees down the drain or should I say down the neck.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Now I drink 4 cups of coffee a day, so your pods are 21p each = 0.84 a day or £5.88 a week and worse still £305.76 a year............ Thats just me add the wife and thats £611.52 a year.

Makes you think doesn't it?

I only have one "posh coffee" a day, maybe two at Weekends.

I drink tea the rest of the time.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Makes you think doesn't it?

I only have one "posh coffee" a day, maybe two at Weekends.

I drink tea the rest of the time.
Chris, even 2 a day pod wise is still £81.12 a year if there is two of you. I agree that for most people the odd cuppa now and then perhaps, but still a lot of money to spend on pods. We might spend £60.00 a year on beans and that is top end drinking the amount we do.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
We have a Nescafe Dolce Gusto.

I have tried a lot of the rest - this is the best.

The pods aren't cheap though.
Ditto......good selection of coffee and the hot chocolate is spot on. (y). Got ours from York Outlet on offer £30

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have a Phillips sensco coffee machine at home but it's to big for the van, after much searching we found a machine in the USA called Hamilton Beach, it only makes a cup at a time but it takes sensco pods but is small enough to fit the van, it's 110v but with a travel plug transform/adptor it works a treak and the best bit it only cost £10.00. Had it shipped to my daughters in Houston and picked it up on a visit to her. (y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
we have one of these at home, managed to get a good deal with it off internet from a wholesale electrical outlet for £199 delivered.
This is a bean to cup and also has a frother for doing Latte too, a bag of strong beans from Sainsbury costs £3.50 - sometimes less if on offer and lasts about 2 weeks doing around 4 to 5 cups a day - which is great value - we also have a Tassimo machine in the PVC which you feed it the pods - its ok for convenience but the taste just doesnt compare to the bean machine.
Seco coffee.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

We rarely eat out, don't smoke, don't drink apart from a bottle of wine a week between us and don't begrudge the small, to us, price of the coffee and the camp site fees. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back