I'm after a capsule espresso coffee machine for domestic use. (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I know there are numerous brands around with a variety of good and pad points.
I'm not as interested in the make or features of the machine as much as the choice and quality of capsules offered for that brand.
My coffee intake is quite small so I'm also not necessarily looking for the cheapest capsule - just the ones with the best flavours and strengths.

All recommendations, reviews and opinions will be welcome - thanks.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Scary really, I looked at your post a while ago, next time I looked at MF refreshed page and in the Google adverts on my page was an advert for....?a coffee machine. Big brother or what! And some people worry about an ID card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Tassimo Vivy is a good machine but shop around I got mine on offer from Curry's under £50, since seen it in Tesco, John Lewis and Amozon for £99, the prices for the machine (and the pods ) fluctuate all the while, bide your time!

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Got a Tassimo as well, if you like costa coffee great, Lots of choice but no decaf if you prefer, found it cheap to buy on the continent as well

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Nescafe Dolce Gusto.

I have tried a lot of the rest - this is the best.

The pods aren't cheap though.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Don't do it, do the job properly.

I have been doing it properly for years but as I get older, although I still love my coffee, my intake has reduced dramatically which means that I open a nice fresh pack of coffee but before I'm a quarter through it, it's lost much of it's flavour - and yes, I do keep it in a sealed jar, in the fridge.
So, capsules sound a good route for me but only if the coffee produced is good. I'm of the opinion that the capsule quality is far more important than the machine quality which, after all, is just a kettle. That's why I'm asking for recommendations on the coffee produced rather than the machines

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

Yes, I have my eye on one of these but have read reports that the coffee is not very hot and that you have to stand over the machine while it's working - don't understand this - does it not turn itself off when the procees has finished?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Nespresso make perfect espresso drinks, consistently high quality every cup.
Cheaper machines are available, but good coffee is worth paying that little bit extra for

I was so impressed with my Nespresso machine at home that I managed to get the slightly smaller machine for the van.

I will not put up with second rate coffee.......

Broken Link Removed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
after all, is just a kettle.

That is the whole crux of the matter, it is not just a kettle, it produces steam which travels through the capsule at high pressure to produce that magnificent taste.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes, I have my eye on one of these but have read reports that the coffee is not very hot and that you have to stand over the machine while it's working - don't understand this - does it not turn itself off when the procees has finished?

Its hot enough for me. You need to make sure the light is green before you start.

You did have to stand over the old ones but the new ones automatically cut off. They have a little lever with lines that you match up with the lines on a pod to give you the perfect cup.

We have one at home and one in the van.

Been using them for about 5 years every day and wouldn't go back.

Its the only coffee machine I have ever owned than hasn't found itself pushed to the back of a cupboard.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Another vote for Dolce Gusto .... good on line ordering with free delivery on 4 or more boxes. I often order on Sunday and get delivery on Monday.
We keep around 20 different varieties including some cold ones for the summer.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Deja vu Chris, bit like gassing and A frames? (y)

Dolce Gusto for me too. Buy the pods on Amazon on a subscribe and save deal and get 15% off. I juggle my orders and occasionally miss a month to make up the five items needed to qualify.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
By some weird coincidence I've been looking at the same sort of thing for my workplace, and have discovered an unused Tassimo machine in our kitchen, given to us a while ago.

What sort of unit price are we looking at for the pods if bought from a discount source? Nothing fancy - tea, basic coffee, chocolate.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another vote for Dolce Gusto .... good on line ordering with free delivery on 4 or more boxes. I often order on Sunday and get delivery on Monday.
We keep around 20 different varieties including some cold ones for the summer.

My wife drinks some weird and wonderful flavours.

I am just hooked on the cappuccino light which keeps me looking slim and young looking:D

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Tassimo has a bar code reader built in that identifies the type of pod you have inserted and adjusts the variables accordingly. I had a Gaggia coffee machine prior to this tTassimo and that was a machine that DID get pushed to the back of the cupboard just too much hassle to use it then clean it afterwards.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If the OP @GeriatricWanderer has been making coffee "properly" for years then I strongly recommend he samples pod coffee...
Pod coffee is highly controversial, always elicits strong polar opinions :boxing:.

Personally I have both Nespresso & Tassimo.
Nespresso is best for espresso style.
Tassimo for longer drinks (Costa style)

I think coffee is such a personal thing, it's be best to try both out to see if either would be acceptable.
Supermarkets often do taste tests & you can try out Nespresso at their Boutiques or some Department Store outlets.

I've been put off Dolce Gusto by rumours some pods are filled with "instant" coffee.

Nespresso pods are monopoly priced regardless of source, no bargains. In my experience the compatible pods are significantly inferior.
Tassimo & Dolce Gusto in all supermarkets, often on promotion. Other drinks as well as coffees.

If price is no issue, its all about taste - and only you can make that decision ;).

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I think you have to pay many many thousands of pounds to get the miracle machine that @Chris has obviously purchased. :whistle2: :wink:

Well coffee may not make you slim but I've been knocking it back for years and it's definitely kept me looking young :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back