Ile de Re start of June (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Heading off to France for the first time in June and after reading reviews on here we're looking to spend a few days in Ile de Re around 7-11th. Current favourites are the municiple campsite at Saint Martin and the Campiole Les Amis de la Plage.

Do do we need to book in advance or will it be ok just turning up at that time of year?

Thank
Andy

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We were there in September last year so don't know about availability in June but there are a lot of sites and aires there so you should get on somewhere.... the island is lovely, the "well to do" French take their holidays there so it can be a bit pricey in the shops and restaurants. If you've got bikes it's a perfect place to ride... you'll have a great time...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Andy you will be fine in June. But although the campsite in st Martin is well placed for exploring st Martin, its tight in places and not all pitches are the same size, we also found the staff slightly difficult.

Can anyone help me find my thread I wrote with cliff and Ger on our trip to the ile de rey? It might be of interest.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The MH compound (some might say aire) at Campiole Amis de la Plage (Bois Plage en Re) is our first choice for the Ile de Re. We spent 8 nights there just a couple of weeks ago, and that was our third visit. You can't book it, you just have to turn up, but the usual aire rule applies - arrive mid-morning when the overnighters are departing and you should be OK for a pitch. Of course there's the campsite too but you'll pay twice as much, and the aire has marked soft pitches with a bit of sitting out space. The sunniest pitches are furthest away from the entrance, and the nearby beach is pretty good. For water, don't bother with the 100 litres a go service point - it's free from the outside tap on the public loo/shower near the beach entrance. Just pack a plastic watering can. The restaurant near the site entrance isn't bad either, although St Martin is better for eating out.

The Municipale at St Martin is, funnily enough, our second choice. As mentioned above, some of the pitches can be a bit limited but we've always managed to use the same pitch every time(!) and there are plenty of others that MHs will fit into. Beware of grounding on the tight turn up the far end of the site - take it slow. The price is good for what it is and it's very convenient for the town and for cycling around most of the island. It's only about 20 minutes on a bike from the Bois Plage site so if one's not possible the other will do the job. There's an Intermarche and an E LeClerc within easy cycling distance of the Municipale, and both do diesel. My missus is in shopping heaven in St Martin - I just go and rootle around on the beach below the battlements.

From Bois Plage we've cycled everything from the amusingly-named Ars-en-Re to the bridge at Rivedoux-Plage and we're not lycra-clad bike nutters by any means. Far from it. For exploring the top end of the island I'd suggest using the aire at St Clement des Baleines, which is fine for the purpose even if the nearby beach is a bit crap.

We've only been back two weeks and I already envy you - enjoy the trip :)

[Edited afterthought: For a mid-morning crack at the Ile de Re aires, consider stopping overnight in the Ave Jean Moulin P&R at La Rochelle, where there is ample MH spots. Very handy if you're making a long journey to get to the area, and La Rochelle is worth a look too. The aire price includes return bus fare to the town centre for up to 6 people.]

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
It may be a higher budget than you want, but we have just been to Camping Interlude on Isle de Re and enjoyed it.

It is right by the beach in the middle of the Island, South side. We managed to cycle to all 4 corners of the island . There are some lovely Oyster shacks on the north coast.

Last edited:

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
It may be a higher budget than you want, but we have just been to Camping Interlude on Isle de Re and enjoyed it.

It is right by the beach in the middle of the Island, South side. We managed to cycle to all 4 corners of the island . There are some lovely Oyster shacks on the north coast.
I agree went last sept great site right on beach but only give 10% discount with ACSI card

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Thanks for all the replies, that's really useful.
Does anyone know if there are any adult only sites on the island?

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
@AndyJJDavies. Just to say....we went to Ile de Re in June 2 years ago, I really wanted to stay within walking /cycling of Le Bois Plage as there is an excellent daily market in the village there. However we couldn't get a pitch at either Camping les Amis or at Les Varennes (arrived at 1pm on a Friday so that may be the reason!!!!) We ended up in Couarde at Camping la Tour de Pris which was fine and able to cycle the whole island from there. We could only stay 3 nights as they were fully booked after that. I'm sure you will get in somewhere though as there are lots of campsites and a few aires. Definitely visit St Martin's, La Flotte, Le Bois Plage, Loix, Ars en Re (sardine festival was on in June when we were there which is fab) & go to the top of the island to the lighthouse (phare des Baleines) I love the island, it's easy cycling all on good paths with good way markers. You can get a piste cyclable map from the tourist office or from the campsites.

Edit....just checked and the sardine festival is on June 10th this year . If you want adult only then don't stay at camping Interlude. We've stayed there before & it's great with kids or teenagers as it's next to the beach and has full facilities & entertainment programme. If you don't want that then give it a miss.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We were at the aire in St Martin a week or so ago, great little aire for exploring the delightful town and harbour, it's also positioned next to the ancient ramparts so well worth a night or two at approx €10 per night. Early May and it was close to capacity by 6pm so arrive in good time if you wish to stay.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Campiole Amis de la Plage looks like the favourite but I'm a bit confused, do they have an Aire as well as a compsite? Also I see they are in the ACSI book at €17 a night but how do we get that rate the if we want to book in advance online?

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ile de re is fantastic, especially with bikes. Aire at St Martins was expensive and we found the campsite tight and full of mozzies to an enormous degree. We loved les varennes and also La Grainetière, a site very nr to le flotte. One nr south of island too, Camping La Tour des Prises was wonderful and very different aspect to the island. We love the donkeys in pyjamas. Stay a day or 2 extra and take one of the frequent buses to La Rochelle. Full of history.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Campiole Amis de la Plage looks like the favourite but I'm a bit confused, do they have an Aire as well as a compsite? Also I see they are in the ACSI book at €17 a night but how do we get that rate the if we want to book in advance online?

Take a look at this Google Streetview panorama - the orange sign is at the entrance to the aire/MH compound run by Amis de la Plage. It has an automated ticket barrier, and you can spend up to 45 minutes inside either looking for a pitch or using the service point without having to pay on exit. If you scroll the view round to the right you'll see another orange sign which is the main campsite entrance. When we were there over Easter we paid 12.90 Euros a night on the aire, but the rate increases in the summer. A pitch on the campsite costs about double that, and was about twice the size of the aire pitches (which are marked). If you have any issues with a UK bank card at the aire exit barrier, you just pop round to campsite reception and they'll sort it for you.

There used to be a free aire on the car park opposite (still visible in Streetview), but that is now closed with a height barrier - you might still see out of date references to that online. Amis de la Plage is the only gig in town. As far as I know, you can't book the aire but you can (of course) book the campsite.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ile de re is fantastic, especially with bikes. Aire at St Martins was expensive and we found the campsite tight and full of mozzies to an enormous degree. We loved les varennes and also La Grainetière, a site very nr to le flotte. One nr south of island too, Camping La Tour des Prises was wonderful and very different aspect to the island. We love the donkeys in pyjamas. Stay a day or 2 extra and take one of the frequent buses to La Rochelle. Full of history.
Oops meant north !!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Take a look at this Google Streetview panorama - the orange sign is at the entrance to the aire/MH compound run by Amis de la Plage. It has an automated ticket barrier, and you can spend up to 45 minutes inside either looking for a pitch or using the service point without having to pay on exit. If you scroll the view round to the right you'll see another orange sign which is the main campsite entrance. When we were there over Easter we paid 12.90 Euros a night on the aire, but the rate increases in the summer. A pitch on the campsite costs about double that, and was about twice the size of the aire pitches (which are marked). If you have any issues with a UK bank card at the aire exit barrier, you just pop round to campsite reception and they'll sort it for you.

There used to be a free aire on the car park opposite (still visible in Streetview), but that is now closed with a height barrier - you might still see out of date references to that online. Amis de la Plage is the only gig in town. As far as I know, you can't book the aire but you can (of course) book the campsite.

We spent a week there with @cliffandger, think we had acsi rate, wonderful beach, campsite and the on site restaurant does a mean pizza.
Perfectly placed to cycle most of the island.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Also consider Ile d'Oleron - the next island down. There are a couple of large aires that are ex municipal campsites, so include toilets, showers, individual EHU etc. The municipal campsite in St Denis is also great - right on the beach and with a super every day market in the village.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Just a quick update to say we ended up staying at the Campiole Les Amis de la Plage campsite for 4 days. we rolled up on 7th June and there was plenty of room with around 10 pitches to choose from. I must admit the pitches were a mixed bunch with some small and close together but we managed to get a big open pitch in the highest area. The site was very nice with pretty good facilities and @EUR17 per night using our ACSI card we thought it was good value (We did look at the aire next door but to be honest after checking it and a few other's out we've decided that aire's aren't for us except if we want a quick park up somewhere overnight - they are just too cramped!)

Le Bois-Plage-en-Ré was a wonderful location to be based central to everywhere and a great market everyday.

Apart from Il de Ré we also spent a some time in sites at Saint-Jean-de-Monts in the Vendée, and Marçon in Pays-de-la-Loire. We loved all of them and will certainly head back to France again - September is tempting as the 'off season' certainly seems to be the best time to go - I can image all the places we stayed would be quite different in July & August :unsure:

Thanks for all the advice everyone - invaluable! (y)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
The aire at St Martin is lovely
nut busy
an if you get on have a walk through the tunnel that runs underneath the aire
it leads to the dry moat where the donkeys live
Take some carrots

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
it leads to the dry moat where the donkeys live
Take some carrots

..and some ganja - some of them are Rastafarians :)

images-94.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went to I de Re in May don't understand what people like about it. Been visiting and traveling through France for over 30 years one of the few places we wouldn't want to go back to. Flat and boring beaches not very good. Didn't think much of the cycle paths, they would end without any directions and could go down the roads as big no cycling signs on them, us and loads of French going around in circles trying to find out where to go.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We went to I de Re in May don't understand what people like about it. Been visiting and traveling through France for over 30 years one of the few places we wouldn't want to go back to. Flat and boring beaches not very good. Didn't think much of the cycle paths, they would end without any directions and could go down the roads as big no cycling signs on them, us and loads of French going around in circles trying to find out where to go.
Each to his own Lenny - we love the Ile de Re, and the flat cycle paths are a particular favourite of mine.... ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back