Ile be seeing you..a little Re' of sunshine... (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well we've had a lovely day on the Ile de Re, cycling from the campsite to Portes en Re where Dawn managed to upset a French lady shopkeeper. She has a peculiar knack of spotting things she thinks are innovative and 'must haves' in her life, and this clearly fell into that category.....

image.jpeg

'We should have these for the beach Ger - easy to carry and they look really comfortable'. Then we saw the price - €49!!! 'HOW MUCH!!!! All it is is two sticks, bolted together and some thick canvas. I could make it for a tenner - get your phone out and take some photos of the bolts while I measure what length of sticks we need'. I followed orders and had just taken this photo when a very irate lady shop keeper came out, grabbed the sticks and canvas (Dawn had by then deconstructed the chair and was holding the sticks up against her leg to see how long they were) and with many a frosty 'merci, merci boucoup madam' she retreated with her seat back into the shop in a huge gaelic strop!

We moved on pretty sharpish and found another shop which happened to sell things of beauty..... €300 but with 50% off..... @Mr Mousy it's the blue one that took her fancy.....

image.jpeg

However just in case Martin's life is complete, Dawn is lining his mum up to knit her one!

We cycled across the salt marshes, and saw lots of heather (or what looked like heather) I am happy to be corrected....

image.jpeg

We cycled into St Clementine de Bellienes and stopped for coffee and cake......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

........Before cycling back to the site for a sunbathe and chill. We then walked up to the beach, passing two motorhomes pitched up on the pitches we were told were unsuitable for motorhomes because of the sand! They didn't seem to be sunk into the sand as deeply as Martins was, but we await their departures with interest!

The walk along the beach was lovely with many photo opportunities...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We finished off with a barby and some Ile de Re Rose. A lovely day, with more of the same to follow tomorrow!

Adeybabe

Free Member
Jan 24, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just seen this thread and today we just left La Flotte on Ile de Re. A beautiful place and our first trip abroad in our motorhome. Now off to Les Pyrenees...

Ade

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've just seen this thread and today we just left La Flotte on Ile de Re. A beautiful place and our first trip abroad in our motorhome. Now off to Les Pyrenees...

Ade

Just seen this, sorry to have missed you. We have just arrived in St Martin. Congratulations on your first trip, enjoy the mountains.

Which campsite were you on in la flotte?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well yesterday was another lovely day of cyclin and chillin. We peddled our way to Ars en Re, straight into a lovely market, where we wandered the stalls, and could have bought lots of nice things aka Pashminas, linen shirts, and shorts, table linen, and loafers, but didn't succumb, Dawn says this was only because Martjn kept his wallet in his pocket, and she only had €15 spending money! :(

image.jpeg

Lovely crepes and graces but no chairs and tables!

We walked around the harbour, and tried to find somewhere to have a coffee and cake but everywhere was full, so we cycled back to St Clement en Re and the cafe we found the day before for a repeat strawberry tart and coffee.

We cycled back to the vans and chilled for the afternoon, listening to a brass band playing near the lighthouse. They sounded so good that we cycled up to the lighthouse to see them. We'de just arrived as they were packing their instruments away, so I was going to get a photo of three of them sat on a wall - they shouted at me to stop, and I thought I was just about to be set upon for taking photos without their permission - but they all ran over for a group shot!

image.jpeg

Shame the wall they chose to sit on had an unfortunate sign above it!

Not content with that, one of them jumped out, took the camera off me and pushed me into the middle of the group for another photo opportunity!

image.jpeg

I'm not attempting a catwalk pose here - I'de just been grabbed by the shoulder and was trying to stop myself from falling over - they were very excitable! Excitable yes, but a lovely bunch of young people and very talented brass musicians - d'ya think they instinctively guessed I was a fellow musician? @Janine ;)

This really is a beautiful island and we are having a wonderful time, more chilled than last year, so perhaps not so much to write about - and we are definitely not getting into as many scrapes apart from fuel shortage bum clenching exercises and soft sand near disasters (an excuse to invest in self leveling jacks if ever there was one......) so we can only apologise if our thread is on the scanty side......

image.jpeg

Le Phare at Les Bellienes.

image.jpeg

The beach at Les Bellienes

We are now at St Martin De Re, on the municipal campsite where we (or should I say Dawn) has already upset the Kamp Kommandant but I'll let her fill you in on that little tale........

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
@Robert Clark was the closest it was €121 not Inc tip. @laser101uk was spot on with the place thanks. @Zoppydog hope you enjoy it as much as we do. It's always very busy and service is hit and miss but the food makes up for it.

121 euros !!!!! For one meal !!!

Chaser gets 3 weeks away for that!!! Including Deisel !!! Xxxx. It did look nice though!!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ha that was for 4 of us Ian. We've all been living on pork scratchings since.
Here are some pics of St Martin's
20160831_135834.jpg

20160831_135924.jpg

A lovely place to sit and people watch. The gorgeous weather continues too.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
This really is a beautiful island and we are having a wonderful time, more chilled than last year, so perhaps not so much to write about
I disagree - if the scale of green with envy is a judge - then this thread & gorgeous pics, is right up there :D

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Can't wait to discover it for ourselves! Should be there from around the 8th or 9th. Hope my Labrador is allowed on some of the beaches(y) Lovely photos ( and thread )!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Can't wait to discover it for ourselves! Should be there from around the 8th or 9th. Hope my Labrador is allowed on some of the beaches(y) Lovely photos ( and thread )!

Well we've seen dogs in restaurants, shops and bars and Cliff says he's seen no dog signs on the beach with dogs on it. So practice your Gaelic shrug and you should be OK.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Well we've seen dogs in restaurants, shops and bars and Cliff says he's seen no dog signs on the beach with dogs on it. So practice your Gaelic shrug and you should be OK.
Ah thanks for that

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hello all. Another day on the paradise island of Ile De Rey. We've had a day of punctures and split cycle tyres, with the boys making numerous trips to the bike shop in St Martin De Re.

Firstly to get a new inner tube for my bike. They went right on lunch time so had to kill a couple of hours in a cafe eating a tuna salad baguette and dining coffee.

When they peddled back with the inner tube, they fitted it and started to pump it up, but quickly realised that the tyre was perished and had split.

So taking a note of the size of the tyre (and poo pooing Dawn's suggestion that they take the old tyre with them) off they peddled back to the shop.

They peddled back with what I can only describe as a cheap and nasty version of the cheapest tyre possible. 'But it doesn't match the front tyre' I said. I got the 'look', so disappointed as I was, I shut up.

Luckily for me, the tyre, although saying 26 inch was at least two inches bigger in circumference than the original, so after much scratching of heads they peddled off to the shop again (this time with the original tyre on the rack as per Dawn's earlier suggestion).

'I bet I'm your best customer today!' Said Cliff to the shopkeeper. 'Forget about today' he replied, 'you're the best customer this year'!

They peddled back with what I can only describe as a three star Michelin tyre that matches my front tyre perfectly, and I think enhances my cycling experience greatly.

This time last year when we had a similar puncture episode, necessitating the boys going in search of repair kits and inner tubes, us girls whiled away the hours with a couple of these....
image.jpeg

We chilled today but unfortunately with no Mojitos to hand.

We cycled into La Flotte and spent a pleasant couple of hours walking around the harbour and the side streets. Sadly @Carol, the Oyster House was closed, but we will be back when it's open!

image.jpeg

They certainly know how to advertise fish!

image.jpeg

The notice says 'no fishing' but as usual the French have a healthy disregard of authority!

image.jpeg

Sadly Martin's life is complete - what a pity!

image.jpeg

They really know how to advertise their wares.

image.jpeg

Donkey jackets on, all ready for winter!

We've decided to stay on this lovely island for the duration of the @Mousy 's holiday and we are beach bound tomorrow for a few days at Le Bois de Plage. Hopefully the glorious sunshine will continue. Happy Days indeed.....

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We stayed at Suze sur Sarthe on the Sunday, then down to II de Re for a couple of nights on La Grantiere, cracking new shower blocks, now we're down at Lacauna Ocean, great place surfers paradise not that I'm one.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
d'ya think they instinctively guessed I was a fellow musician?

I think they instinctively guessed you were a Uke player and took pity on you so they allowed you to have your picture taken with REAL musicians.
written on my phone in Le Cretoy or dog-shite city as I have renamed it.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
La Flotte
20160901_164400.jpg

20160901_155642.jpg

Cliff and Martin walking harbour wall. For the benefit of our kids reading this...no dad hasn't got a man bag, it's my new holiday handbag.
20160901_163124.jpg

The empty market place, bike repairs meant we were two hours late.... conspiracy theories Moi?!
20160901_155711.jpg

This little dog loved to retrieve his friends flip flop.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another day on the Paradise Isle. Just off to a Vide Grenier, Dawn says to buy Christmas presents! This is one list I shall be happy not to be on..... Photos of 'Tat A la Francaise' to follow.....

Just a couple from yesterday for now,
image.jpeg

The monster from the deep from another angle.....
image.jpeg

Cliff with his Dame Edna specs on....

image.jpeg

More to follow mes amis!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cycled to the Vide Grennier yesterday and saw lots of Tat - we resisted buying these......
image.jpeg

I was tempted with the stripey number, but didn't think I would ever go anywhere posh enough to wear it......
image.jpeg

After perusing the stalls in search of body boards for the sea, but finding none, we wandered up into town to see if we could find any in the shops. We found two, but thought the striking pink colour and the 'Hello Kitty' emblem wouldn't do anything for the boys beach cred..... So we've decided to go two person lilo boarding this afternoon - will report back on proceedings....!

We wandered down to the beach last night and it was just as lovely......
image.jpeg

Martin maintained it was a tad chilly though......
image.jpeg

Another day of cycling, market and then beach - happy days.....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Those fish stalls look stunning - almost too nice to disturb by buying anything. Only almost.
I cannot tell a lie, this thread has been interesting but I am so disappointed - not a relic in sight as yet. What is the world coming too.:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back