Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Hi Folks. We are planning our 1st trip to France via the tunnel, the last two weeks of June.

Il de Re looks lovely & we would like to spend at least a week here. We love to be near the sea, nice beaches & cycling, mainly flat terrain where possible.

I've been looking at lots of campsites & would like to know if it's advisable to book in advance, also any recommendations for campsites.

We would have one night en-route from the tunnel to break the journey, so any suggestions would be welcomed for a nice aire to stop at. We would probably do a mixture of toll & non toll roads.

Any suggestions please, for our second week?

Sorry, if too many questions. Thanks.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a fabulous time on the island in September with the @Mousy s - read Our thread for campsites, beaches etc. It was quite busy in September, so I would advise booking at least for the best site (which for us was Le Bois en Plage).

Sorry I don't know how to put the link up for the thread but this is the title...

Ile be seeing you..a little Re' of sunshine.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
we stopped at the municipal in St Martin de Re in 2015 was ideal for us, easy cycle routes and access to everything. we stopped at Alencon (campsite) and Saumur (aire) on way. Loved the Il de Re and planning to be there again same time as you in 2017.

http://www.saint-martin-de-re.fr/fr/information/30580/camping-municipal

http://www.campingfrance.com/uk/find-your-campsite/normandy/orne/alencon/camp-municipal-de-guerame

http://www.ot-saumur.fr/CAMPING-CARS-ACCUEIL-ET-STATIONNEMENT-A-SAUMUR_a8987.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
We had a fabulous time on the island in September with the @Mousy s - read Our thread for campsites, beaches etc. It was quite busy in September, so I would advise booking at least for the best site (which for us was Le Bois en Plage).

Sorry I don't know how to put the link up for the thread but this is the title...

Ile be seeing you..a little Re' of sunshine.

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Many thanks. I can't find a campsite of this exact name as it comes up with the town. Do you have the address so I can look it up?

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
we stopped at the municipal in St Martin de Re in 2015 was ideal for us, easy cycle routes and access to everything. we stopped at Alencon (campsite) and Saumur (aire) on way. Loved the Il de Re and planning to be there again same time as you in 2017.

http://www.saint-martin-de-re.fr/fr/information/30580/camping-municipal

http://www.campingfrance.com/uk/find-your-campsite/normandy/orne/alencon/camp-municipal-de-guerame

http://www.ot-saumur.fr/CAMPING-CARS-ACCUEIL-ET-STATIONNEMENT-A-SAUMUR_a8987.html

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Many thanks. I'll have a look at the sites you've mentioned.

Will you book your site in advance?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Many thanks. I can't find a campsite of this exact name as it comes up with the town. Do you have the address so I can look it up?
The site was Campeole Les Amis de Le Bois en Plage. Its in the ACSI book - which is the book to have if you're travelling in France.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Many thanks. I'll have a look at the sites you've mentioned.

Will you book your site in advance?
we did book last time as there was a few of us. There is also an aire just outside the campsite but if your staying more than a day or to I recommend the campsite. It wasn't that expensive compared to other sites at that time of year and the deposit wasn't much, 15 euros per pitch or something like that.

they speak English if you ring

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Thanks, I did find that one but wasn't sure if it was the one. I'm waiting for my ACSI card to arrive.

if you book online, do you have to quote ACSI number for discount?

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
we did book last time as there was a few of us. There is also an aire just outside the campsite but if your staying more than a day or to I recommend the campsite. It wasn't that expensive compared to other sites at that time of year and the deposit wasn't much, 15 euros per pitch or something like that.

they speak English if you ring

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We've never booked sites, but we've found that if it's an ACSI site, and you have the card, you will get the discount. I think the receptionists would find it strange if you DIDN'T have an ACSI card! ;)

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Last June we atayed on a site called camping interlude it's a large site right next to the beach with a great bar and take away there is also a shop which was well stocked.
It is in the ACSI book but only gives 10% discount I think it was about 25 euro a night more than I normally pay but we enjoyed the location.
It'is a very busy site.
Great cycle paths all around the island.
Love il de re we may be back for a few nights ourselves in June

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Last June we atayed on a site called camping interlude it's a large site right next to the beach with a great bar and take away there is also a shop which was well stocked.
It is in the ACSI book but only gives 10% discount I think it was about 25 euro a night more than I normally pay but we enjoyed the location.
It'is a very busy site.
Great cycle paths all around the island.
Love il de re we may be back for a few nights ourselves in June

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Thanks Kelv, I had seen that one come up in my search. I'll give it a closer look.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My daughter stayed at Phare des Balienes, right at the far end of the island, next to the lighthouse. Had a great holiday but advises stocking up on food in advance as the island was expensive.

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
My daughter stayed at Phare des Balienes, right at the far end of the island, next to the lighthouse. Had a great holiday but advises stocking up on food in advance as the island was expensive.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I've just had a read of your thread & it sounds fabulous. Lovely pics too. Out of interest which site was it where the pitches were soft?
If I remember right and without getting my log book out of the van, I think it was Les Beleines, near Le Phare (The Beacon). Not all the pitches are soft though, just the ones at the top of the site nearest to the beach. The site was a good base for cycling (as are most of the sites really....) !

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
If I remember right and without getting my log book out of the van, I think it was Les Beleines, near Le Phare (The Beacon). Not all the pitches are soft though, just the ones at the top of the site nearest to the beach. The site was a good base for cycling (as are most of the sites really....) !

Thanks.
I'm looking at Camping Interlude at the moment, looks nice.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
We stopped at Locean campsite around 3 years ago.Restaurant small shop etc.Beach across road.straight onto cycle paths.And it was in Acsi.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
IMG_0149.JPG
Pitched up on camping interlude

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
If you book as ACSI site online, how do you get the discounted price? Most of the sites I've looked at ask for a deposit then full payment 30 days before your arrival.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi we've been to the ile de rely in June and I don't think you'll have a problem getting onto any site. I'd wait until you get there and choose, no point booking now for June. If the weathers awful you could head to the sunshine, a motorhome gives you such freedom. Also if you have great weather driving down you may want to linger somwhere else. June is very quiet on the island.

OP
OP
zipppydj

zipppydj

Free Member
Jul 17, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ford Chausson 727GA
Exp
Since May 2016
Hi we've been to the ile de rely in June and I don't think you'll have a problem getting onto any site. I'd wait until you get there and choose, no point booking now for June. If the weathers awful you could head to the sunshine, a motorhome gives you such freedom. Also if you have great weather driving down you may want to linger somwhere else. June is very quiet on the island.
That's true. We didn't want to end up driving round looking for a site. I suppose I can give the site which we like the look of a call en route to check if they have vacancies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back