Mar 30, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
1985 Talbot Express
Exp
Since 2013
Hi

We have a 1985 Talbot Express 2.0l petrol motorhome (aka Tiddles). She has been losing power when trying to climb hills and I have had the distributor cap and spark plugs replaced. Still not resolved the issue and the garage reckon its the ignition coil. The problem is trying to track one down. I have tried breakeryard and other scrap websites, but no luck so far.

Has anyone got any ideas?????

Thanks very much

David and Rachel

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Your coil should have some information on the casing that would help in searching via Google

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm struggling to see how the ignition coil will slow you down on hills. In my experience they either work or they don't. Worth getting a compression test done as that might show up things like worn pistons or leaking valves. Is the air filter clean? If it hasn't been replaced in the last couple of years I suggest buying a new one. Ditto any fuel filter.

My point is if you are losing power there could be any number of reasons and a faulty ignition coil isn't the first place I would look. If the engine starts and runs the coil sounds fine.

I suggest looking for a different and more experienced garage for a diagnosis. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I always thought a coil is a coil, 12 volt in ,loads out but not necessarily a special one for each vehicle (n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A coil can be faulty but still give enough voltage for a weak spark..

more herehttp://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-symptoms-of-ignition-coil-failure
If your vehicle is getting a lot less mileage for the gallon, it could also be a sign of an ignition coil failure. When less power is reaching the spark plugs, your vehicle will struggle and use more fuel to compensate for the lack of power transfer.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It used to be standard practice to replace plugs, cap and leads every two or three years..
From experience, if a coil is breaking down it will usually cause issues at 3500 revs..
I would like to be able to say why that is but I honestly have no idea.. But I do have lots and lots of examples of it happening on bikes and cars ocer the years.

Question.
When the motor looses power, does it start to miss-fire or does it still sound ok, just a bit low on oomph ?

Reactions: DBK

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A coil can be faulty but still give enough voltage for a weak spark..

more herehttp://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-symptoms-of-ignition-coil-failure
If your vehicle is getting a lot less mileage for the gallon, it could also be a sign of an ignition coil failure. When less power is reaching the spark plugs, your vehicle will struggle and use more fuel to compensate for the lack of power transfer.
If theres enough spark to light the fuel Jim, it will burn all the fuel....it cant burn just a bit of it.
The only possible drawback with a weak spark will be the likelyhood of easier plug wetting causing a dead cylinder or misfire.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had a talbot with similar problems and it was the tank rusting and blocking the carb
i think the coil is diferent to many as mine had a basic electronic ignition pack ie no points

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i would be inclined to fit an electronic ignition kit...much more reliable

thinking back, i remember one of the old talbots which had similar issues. turned out to be the fuel pump. accelerate up hill it lost power as the fuel pump was tilted

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Problems with the ignition are unlikely to cause lack of power but will cause a missfire
Check the colour of the spark plugs ,they should be a light straw colour and all the same .
Any difference in colour could indicate a problem with that cylinder .
Not sure on which carburettor is fitted but but could well need cleaning and if fitted check that the accelerator pump is working

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If theres enough spark to light the fuel Jim, it will burn all the fuel....it cant burn just a bit of it.
The only possible drawback with a weak spark will be the likelyhood of easier plug wetting causing a dead cylinder or misfire.

so which is it.. ?

I'm old enough to remember changing coils because they weren't performing as they should.. ie .. loss of power , poor fuel economy..

also remember fitting a 'sport' coils that gave a fatter spark, which meant you could also increase the plug gap for improved combustion

still sold..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I said Jim, the plug will either spark or get wet and not spark.
As long as it sparks it will ignite the fuel.
If it gets wet it obviously wont and power will suffer running on less than all four cylinders.
At cruising speed it may not be too noticable theres a cylinder off....bit of vibration maybe....but come to a hill !!!!!

Just had this problem with a mates bike.....very weak spark.
Checked the coils primary and secondary windings plus the igntion power source coil in the magnito and all well within resistance tolerances but the spark is barely visible.
It will run smoothly for a while then quits with a wet plug.....easy to detect, its a single cylinder.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
my guess from info given would be a fuel problem. But without knowing the condition of other components to eliminate them then just a guess.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back