Igloo dog beds

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Minxy Girl, May 5, 2014.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When we were at Peterborough we had a good shuftie at the dog bed 'igloos' that were for sale but they were a bit on the big side for our camper, both for when in use, but for storing during the day, especially as we'd need 2 of them for our smallest doggies ... hopefully to encourage them to stay there rather than want to be on the bed with us! :cry:

Anyway, it got me thinking about if I could make a more 'streamlined' type of igloo as, after all, only the base needs to be actually padded, not the sides, so I had a play with a pop-up laundry hamper and an existing dog bed which I could probably adapt to do what I want, however when I was looking at dog beds on Ebay the other day I came across these which would be easier to adapt:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271464265956?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I know they haven't got much of a base but that's not a problem as I can easily make some nice padded bed cushions for them, and also black-out covers for the sides to go over the netting/wire to give the igloo effect and which could be removed to still allow them to be squished during the day and packed away.

What do ya think? Worth a try?:Smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Very cheap, worth a go

3. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Don't the dogs get really cold? :Blush:

• Like Like x 2
  4. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

It's worth a try but I bet the dogs get the bed and you finish up with the igloo :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  5. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Check out the cat igloo,s there are smaller our yorkies have 1 each but usually squeeze into one lol.

6. Minxy Girl

Well, I've already made them their own duvets so they shouldn't! :BigGrin:

I'm trying to 'create' a safe space so they don't feel the need to come on the bed with us, and also to block the light out a bit as, even with the blinds etc down, some still gets through and wakes them up.

The little ones aren't toooooo much of a problem on the bed unless they're in a particularly 'riddly' mode. :Doh: The problem is when our much larger dog (cross staffie/greyhound) wants to join them as she gets 'jealous' and I end up being shoved up against the rear doors!!! :cry:

7. Tootles

Tootles Funster

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Try a rolled up newspaper! :Wink:

8. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Ours feel right at ho!e when we trevel that's cos we actually break there home in half & take it with us :Wink:
    They travel with there house, beds, food bowls, etc all in there own mobile home...

The hardest part is getting the guinea pig cage in the motorhome :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. Minxy Girl

... funnily enough ... we used to take our pet rats with us on holiday ... they used to have a lovely time!!! :BigGrin:

10. Minxy Girl

Well, decided to 'bite the bullet' and 'treat' our little monsters to some 'pet caves' rather than try to make something myself (that makes a change!!! :RollEyes:).

I've bought a couple of these for them, that way they can use them at home and in the camper too so should be happy to use them when we're away ... well, that's the theory anyway! :BigGrin:

I'll let you know what they think of them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171318866900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

Wow, what service! The dog beds have arrived and the dogs LOVE THEM!!!

Tazzy went in of her own accord straight away and once we'd shown Lily hers she went in it too, both settled down without being asked!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  12. poki

poki Funster

oooh they look comfy, may get 2 for my little uns :Smile:

13. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

What size are your dogs Minx? I can see they are terrier types but are they big or small for their type? I am wondering if these beds would be big enough for our border terrier?

14. Minxy Girl

We have a cross Chihuahua/Jack Russell aka a 'Chisel' (the white/brown one) and a brown Patterdale. I've just measured them and both are about 31cm from floor to top of shoulder and 60cm from tip of nose to base of tail (I didn't measure to the end of tail as one only has a stubby bit! :RollEyes:) so pretty similar to a Border Terrier. Tazzy (Chisel) had tucked herself more into the 'cave' than Lily (Patterdale) so she still had some room to spare so i think it would be pretty much ideal for your dog assuming it's not a 'monster'! :BigGrin:

The bed measures 65cm side to side and 59cm back to front. The 'hood' is removable so they can be used without them, and the whole lot is removable for washing. I did look on the web for alternative suppliers but no-one came close to the Ebay price for the exactly the same bed. There are some others, dearer, but they don't have the zip off top or covers so not as good.

The Ebay seller has just put on a new listing with a few more but it looks like one has been sold already, so if you want one I'd get in quick as at that price I don't think they'll be around for long:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pet-cave-...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item27e3ad7183

As I'm typing, guess where our two have just gone and laid!! :thumb:

15. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Thanks Mel

I will measure her tomorrow. She's fast a sleep recovering from a little op that she had today. They look so vulnerable when they are off colour, I haven't got the heart to disturb her.

Attached Files:

16. Minxy Girl

Poor little thing ... as a girl I used to work with would saw ".... awe .... blessssss....." :BigGrin:

17. poki

poki Funster

I ordered 2 of the same beds should be here tomorrow , but I didn't get them from the same seller as you Minx, I looked around on ebay first and found another seller had the same identical ones same colour same size and they were on special offer BOGOF + free delivery for £16 ..thats what I call a bargain :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Silvia

18. Minxy Girl

How about sharing the info on where for others to benefit from? :Smile:

19. poki

poki Funster

20. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I just wish Funsters would stop showing me bargains.:Smile:

It is costing me a fortune:Smile:

What with mifi's :Smile: SIM cards And now dog caves:Smile:

I must have spent hundreds of pounds on all these bargains over the years:Smile:

I cannot resist a bargain, whether it is needed or not:Smile: