If you use Windows 8 or 10 and are on BT or PlusNet. (1 Viewer)

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
No problems here - using Windows 10 and MS Edge.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Heard about someone today who has signed up with plus net..
They have been off line for 2 weeks..
Been trying to help mum out today... she is now off line and is with talk talk... she is convinced it's to do with windows 10 and something to do with her passwords,but I'm struggling to make sense of it all.. she has been on phone a fair bit today..
She can't see her router on the available WiFi connections that are available... that's on her phone or laptop..
To me that's a router problem... any suggestions please..
Andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are BT and Windows 10, just recently had succession of problems where my internet effectively stops, seems to be fixed, albeit temporarily, by turning my laptop wifi off and back on again after a few seconds

It was a tip given to me a couple of years ago when trying to connect to highland wifi, it does always seem that when reconnecting it sees more options available and then goes straight back on line with quick updates

Deleted User
Windows 10 and PlusNet, never had any problem

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I had the problem yesterday and a quick search through Google produced a solution that worked for me. My ip address was missing. I Googled the exact problem that came onto the screen and the solution appeared but I cannot remember the exact words that were on my screen

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Been trying to help mum out today... she is now off line and is with talk talk... she is convinced it's to do with windows 10 and something to do with her passwords,but I'm struggling to make sense of it all.. she has been on phone a fair bit today..
She can't see her router on the available WiFi connections that are available... that's on her phone or laptop..
To me that's a router problem... any suggestions please..
Andy

Andy
Has she tried connecting her laptop directly to the router with an Ethernet cable? Does it work? If so, would narrow it down to wireless issue. If not, would be a wider WAN (upstream connection) or router hardware issue. Is the router still plugged into the wall?:whistle::xdoh:
Has she turned off wireless functionality on the router therefore it's only working in wired mode?:xdoh:
Has she switched on "router hidden" or whatever it's called?:xdoh: I'm using an ethernet connection on a desktop at the moment so can't check correct terminology but there's a way of setting your router to not broadcast it's wifi connection log-on screen therefore you won't see it listed in available wifi connections albeit it's still operational? From memory, you can create a "new" network connection by entering the router address and password even though it's not listed, obviously, you need to know this info!:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Cheers

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy
Has she tried connecting her laptop directly to the router with an Ethernet cable? Does it work? If so, would narrow it down to wireless issue. If not, would be a wider WAN (upstream connection) or router hardware issue. Is the router still plugged into the wall?:whistle::xdoh:
Has she turned off wireless functionality on the router therefore it's only working in wired mode?:xdoh:
Has she switched on "router hidden" or whatever it's called?:xdoh: I'm using an ethernet connection on a desktop at the moment so can't check correct terminology but there's a way of setting your router to not broadcast it's wifi connection log-on screen therefore you won't see it listed in available wifi connections albeit it's still operational? From memory, you can create a "new" network connection by entering the router address and password even though it's not listed, obviously, you need to know this info!:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Cheers
Thanks Grant..
I'm still trying to sort it out but it's over the phone and she gets a bit confused with all the question's. ..
I'm over there at the end of next week so if she can't get someone in the village to help I'll get back to you for some help if that's OK. I've got her shutting everything down now including the wireless connections... then asking her to rent boot everything to see if there's any change..
I've also asked her to dig our her ethernet cable to maybe try a wired connection if the reboot doesn't work..
Thanks again...
Andy..

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
RE Win 10 and Plusnet

I have been on plusnet for YEARS and recently changed to Fibre to box system so upgraded from 2MBps to 32MBps but the only time either Steph or I have problems is when there is a Windows update queued for install
Once the update is installed everything is fine

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks Grant..
I'm still trying to sort it out but it's over the phone and she gets a bit confused with all the question's. ..
I'm over there at the end of next week so if she can't get someone in the village to help I'll get back to you for some help if that's OK. I've got her shutting everything down now including the wireless connections... then asking her to rent boot everything to see if there's any change..
I've also asked her to dig our her ethernet cable to maybe try a wired connection if the reboot doesn't work..
Thanks again...
Andy..
No probs.
Cheers

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've already used the Windows 10 option to postpone the latest updates for several more days (too much open stuff on the laptop at the moment), and that was before I saw this thread.

Darn it....I can't push it back beyond Friday. Never mind, I'm sure they'll have it all fixed by then :ROFLMAO:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @Gromett , me & Him Indoors had just about come to blows over this (my lappy runs Vista & has no problem, his runs 10 and was refusing to connect), I said "LOOK I'll ask them on Fun, somebody's sure to know the answer", saw this thread, read through, did a restart (had previously turned off with no effect) and hey presto! - connected.
You're a star
thank-you-card-smiley-emoticon.gif

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Suppose the question from the man in the street is "if I can't get access to tinternet how do I download the fix"?:confused:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Suppose the question from the man in the street is "if I can't get access to tinternet how do I download the fix"?:confused:
That would have been my next question if the restart that MS suggested (as opposed to switch off) hadn't worked! - but then, if I hadn't had the 2 laptops running on Vista & 10, I couldn't have gone on here to ask that either :xdoh:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There are ways listed in the articles I linked, however a reboot or two should do it.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just picked up on this thread my laptops will not connect to the internet since the windows update but my iPad and apple phone are ok .will try the recommendations on the thread lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back