If you travel with your pet to France...

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sidney, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Have you ever wondered by the ferry operators and Eurotunnel charge for pets travelling EACH WAY?

Going to France on the Ferry. NO checks, no paperwork, pets stay in your motorhome.

Going to France on the train. No checks, no paperwork, pets stay in your motorhome.

I could take 8 human passengers and there is no charge - take a pet and that'll be £16.00 each way.

2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Yes - it's a total rip off. There is no way to justify the cost. However, if you want to take your pet you have to pay.

3. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

The reason given is that the charge is for the people employed and building in france that have to check your dog and papers, only ever having been given the scan machine to read the chip myself and then hand the machine back to the checkin person ,i do agree that it is a bit of a rip off

4. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Brittany Ferries charge £16.50 both ways.

DFDS charge £30 from Calais to Dover (while Dover to Calais is free).

P&O charge £15.00 each way.

Condor charge £30 for the first pet, and £15 per subsequent pet when travelling on a return journey from the UK to St Malo, Portsmouth to Cherbourg.

So you could go to France with DFDS and return with P&O or Eurotunnel and save £15 per pet.

I think the reason they charge for Dover to Calais is because they can :Laughing:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

As far as I'm aware the ferry companies operate the Pet Passport system in its entirety (auditable database, required staff, scanners, insurance, etc) so there will be substantial cost associated with it. Though I suspect substantial profit is there to be made :Wink:

6. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

There would be a bigger profit in it if one of the carriers allowed pets to go free.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sidney

Sidney Funster

It's hard to see the bigger picture when you are milking the cash cow

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Absolutely :RollEyes:

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I did write to Eurotunnel a couple of years ago asking them to consider reviewing their pet charging policy, suggesting the full fee for the first and a reduced fee for subsequent ones (I wasn't aware that Condor already did it!) but just got a reply back saying they had no plans to do so. :Sad:

With 3 dogs it costs us a lot every time and we feel is a rip off - the time taken is miniscule and just a way of making a profit at pet owners' expense. If they did reduce the cost we would certainly go abroad more, but this year we're only going once and will do some of the UK/Scotland instead - £90 will pay for quite a few CLs if we need them if wildcamping spots aren't available.