If you travel with your pet to France... (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Have you ever wondered by the ferry operators and Eurotunnel charge for pets travelling EACH WAY?

Going to France on the Ferry. NO checks, no paperwork, pets stay in your motorhome.

Going to France on the train. No checks, no paperwork, pets stay in your motorhome.

I could take 8 human passengers and there is no charge - take a pet and that'll be £16.00 each way.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The reason given is that the charge is for the people employed and building in france that have to check your dog and papers, only ever having been given the scan machine to read the chip myself and then hand the machine back to the checkin person ,i do agree that it is a bit of a rip off

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Brittany Ferries charge £16.50 both ways.

DFDS charge £30 from Calais to Dover (while Dover to Calais is free).

P&O charge £15.00 each way.

Condor charge £30 for the first pet, and £15 per subsequent pet when travelling on a return journey from the UK to St Malo, Portsmouth to Cherbourg.

So you could go to France with DFDS and return with P&O or Eurotunnel and save £15 per pet.

I think the reason they charge for Dover to Calais is because they can :roflmto:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As far as I'm aware the ferry companies operate the Pet Passport system in its entirety (auditable database, required staff, scanners, insurance, etc) so there will be substantial cost associated with it. Though I suspect substantial profit is there to be made :winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did write to Eurotunnel a couple of years ago asking them to consider reviewing their pet charging policy, suggesting the full fee for the first and a reduced fee for subsequent ones (I wasn't aware that Condor already did it!) but just got a reply back saying they had no plans to do so. :Sad:

With 3 dogs it costs us a lot every time and we feel is a rip off - the time taken is miniscule and just a way of making a profit at pet owners' expense. If they did reduce the cost we would certainly go abroad more, but this year we're only going once and will do some of the UK/Scotland instead - £90 will pay for quite a few CLs if we need them if wildcamping spots aren't available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back