If you tow a toad are you legal (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its possible to tow a trailer of 8 +ton behind a 3.500kg gvw vehicle. and driven on a b+e licence. that is fact . i build them and so do many others . get your facts right . read the posts .
you take a 7,5ton truck lower its gvw to 3.500kg it keeps its train weight of 12 ton.
ideal for over 70,s no medical.
i keep mentioning all this .
some seeds fall on stoney ground .
i regularly laugh with vosa and dvla at this daft ruling.
no offence i hope but i,m sure you must read some of my posts . i do go on about it alot. hee hee.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
its possible to tow a trailer of 8 +ton behind a 3.500kg gvw vehicle. and driven on a b+e licence. that is fact . i build them and so do many others . get your facts right . read the posts .
you take a 7,5ton truck lower its gvw to 3.500kg it keeps its train weight of 12 ton.
ideal for over 70,s no medical.
i keep mentioning all this .
some seeds fall on stoney ground .
i regularly laugh with vosa and dvla at this daft ruling.
no offence i hope but i,m sure you must read some of my posts . i do go on about it alot. hee hee.

Just out of curiosity, Alan:
How do you downplate to 3.5t?
Its not just a paper excercise as you know?
What changes do you make.
A company I worked for downplated vehicles to save on VED, but constructional changes were necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well if its private pulling a living van its only a paper exercise. if for work you need brake etc calculations . but having said that many importers do it as well. i first got wise of it when isuzu offered me their show mini artic . . having spoken to dvla . vosa and gareth marsh at sv tec i found its really simple .
been doing it for about 11 yrs now. its really that easy.
even better build an artic keeping the gvw over 3,500g, it doesnt need an mot if pulling a living van with a max gvw of 3,500kg.
if i get to 70 i will drop my mitsubushi to 3,500kg .move the trailer wheels forward toease the pin weight then up the trailer weight to 5ton its original weight . train weight then can be 9.800kg driven on a b+e .
i found it all hard to believe years ago. as it is vosa have pics of mine . even better i run it on a disabled tax so they really do have a laugh with me. its my choice of disability car.
i say use the rules try not tobreak them.
i even shorten chassis as well ,again all ok if private.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'll leave that there untill I've looked this up properly, Alan, but business or private use, no difference in plated weights re braking efficiency, etc.
In any case, to say that a B+E entitlement allows you to drive larger vehicles than a C1+E is ridiculous.
Take this up soon as poss.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but we know the brakes are up to it . they were before they havent changed . best speak with vosa ,or ring gareth .ring ross frost at vosa he is head of the mot section. pm me for his number . was talking with him about it only the other day.its a joke really . my trailer is a living van. i canmake it a caravan . ,because its got a garage it as to be a living van . if i class my monkey bike as a disability scooter it could be a caravan with disabled scooter parking. but then i must mot the unit so no gain. different ball game to being fully commercial. do look it up its really interesting . changed my life and way of thinking years ago.
i did used to build commercial trucks before hand upping and lowering the normal way with vosa retests etc. favourite was buying 10tonners at auction then lowering to 7.5ton . easy money.
by the way not larger just a greater train weight. have a leaflet from iveco explaining it but cant get pics up on this laptop . they lower 5ton or 6,5ton vehicles to allow b+e licence driving. all good fun.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back