If you have a phone with flashlight...read

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Billy23, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Just had a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8xz8xKEFvU
    If you have a phone with a flashlight app, you might well want to look at this video, I don't know if it has been posted before, but what the heck, might as well be informed.

Its good to be reminded just how careful you have to be when downloading ANY app for your phone or Tablet, after all how many actually read the terms and conditions before they click "Agree"

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

This video gets worse with age, Billy. I think its about three years old now. Its a bit of a con, yes, you should be careful what apps you load, and where from, but its pretty well documented that this guy was scaremongering for his own business interests. I spoke to an IT guy when I first saw this. He just laughed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Oh well, thanks for the heads up on that, still the good thing is, it is a reminder, be careful out there (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Could never understand why some minor apps, like the flashlight app, needed access to your contact list, location, ability to phone people, google account etc.

Its a method of turning on an LED or increasing the brightness of your screen if you dont have a camera flash....it shouldnt need access to anything other than your camera of screen settings.

5. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

The problem is that there is no individual permission for the light. It's part of the camera, so the app has to ask for permission to use the camera.

Android has tightened up on permissions recently, but it has also reduced what the user sees. I believe the thinking is that if the user is only presented with essentials, they are more likely to actually read it.