If i go LPG what size tanks?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Road Runner, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Really considering it now as will feel more comfortable travelling to the meet from Wales.

Less ££'s to the mile:Doh:

I reckon I need at least them holding a minimum 300 litres what have you got or recommend?

Plus i would have 2 filler thinking front and back what your view?

2. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

As many tanks as possible and put the filler in the middle of the rear bumper (access from any side!!)

3. olley

olley Funster

hi john dazzers right, but you have a problem the same as I did, on a short length RV were the heck do you put them?? a 100litre tank is about 13" in diameter and 36" long, if yours is a chevy p32 chasiss you won't even be able to fit two of them inbetween the rear frame rails as they did with mine, and then they had to reduce the fuel tank by a third to get them in.

Stick them in your lockers and you lose locker space, I saw one with the tanks under the bed, my wife absolutely refused to sleep in it. So before you look at what you would like, see what you can actually fit.

Olley

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Too much gas in the bed already mate.. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. Road Runner

Mine the Ford F53.

Well some can go under the bed as never use this area.

Hope not to loose lockers though as Luv em got so muck crap in em:RollEyes:

6. des

des Read Only Funster

hi john

i have 3 70litre tanks. do about 1.5 miles per litre. the "guage" with 4 green / 1 red led is useless, so i reset the trip meter every time i fill, and reckon to fill by 225 miles. never had a prob. getting lpg with this range, but sometimes have to pay too much (target under 40p, best around 32p, worst 56p)

fringe benefit - the oil never gets dirty! my first service was after about 4,000 miles, and the oil looked almost new. apparently due to the purity of lpg.

it was expensive, done by steve at anglo american, newport, but worth every penny in my view

7. olley

olley Funster

Hi des the reason the gauge is useless is because its only connected to one tank, the same as mine.

Olley

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I know I should convert, especially with the amount of miles I do, (8000 in last 6 months) but I have trouble now (at almost 13 feet high & 35ft long) getting petrol with some stupid station forecourt designs.

These days I never fill up without looking for the lpg pump, and they seem to put those in the most inaccessible places, so being able to fill from both sides must be a huge bonus.

Are there any Lpg pumps appearing in the HGV filling areas?

9. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim seen any lorries running on LPG? until we do the pumps will stay with the cars. I think 3 fillers would be the ultimate, 1 either side and 1 at the front.

Olley

10. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: We had 2 x 110 Litre tanks fitted to our 1988 Coachmen Classic. I had them fitted ABOVE the chassis and below the floor at the very rear end. When measuring we didn't take into account the angle necessary to fit them by taking off the rear quarter panels. So we had to cut a groove and re-welded a plate. They fitted snug and tight. Didn't really need any straps. But they were fitted anyway. :Rofl1:

BTW. Fitting the filler at the rear of an RV is NOT really such a good idea. Many was the time that you will either block an entrance or exit positioning at the fill-up point. :Doh:

With hindsight? One either side near the middle gives the very best option. :Wink:

11. des

des Read Only Funster

i have fillers both sides roughly "amidships". never had a problem getting to the pump, but sometimes access is awkward, esp. if car on the back. biggest problem is spotting where the darned lpg pump is before committing to the wrong lane. usually send swmbo to sus it out first.

des

12. Road Runner

God I have enough problem with SWMBO finding the most awkward pitch to park up on:Doh:

13. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi john..i have two 90 ltr tanks fiterd in a cage up between the chaisis at the rear end of my ford c class. one filler on the right hand side near the rear:thumb:

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No, why is that? the miles they do you think they would be converting. But if there is nowhere to fill up I suppose they aren't going to, and the service stations aren't going spend money because no lorries are converted, a catch 22.

Couple of years time Gordon Brown will have LPG at the same price as derv anyway:Sad:

15. fordy

fordy Deleted User

Hi John i have a 200l tank under the bed , and a filler on each side both are towards the back as if you want fast fill hoses you can only go 6-7 ft from the tank as joining the hoses is frowned upon, but its just a matter of blocking some pumps when filling:Blush: or in the large filling stations i back in to the pump ,, or you could have a slow fill with the copper pipe and get it fitted where you want :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

16. olley

olley Funster

What do you mean fordy "fast fill?" in france they are half as thick and twice as long and they seemed to fill the tank up just as slowly as ours do:BigGrin:. Plus they don't cut out at 99 litres.:Angry:

Olley

17. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Hiya Guys
    just catching up on things

I have 2 x150 ltr tanks with a central rear filler, don't have problems filling but generaly fill at my local heating gas supplier with 300 ltrs on board i have never run them dry
    do i recomend conversion? do bears sxxt in the woods? :BigGrin:

18. Road Runner

I found a local LPG (Calor depot) but wanted a massive 52.9p a Litre.

So it's still Morrison's for me and RV couldn't start to get in:cry:

19. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

You just said the magic word John Calor
    my local dealer is a private one just gone up to 40 p a ltr

20. Road Runner

One of your posts has got me thinking your up for a change Tony?

R U?