If I don't do Mount Blanc Tunnel - how bad drive over?. (1 Viewer)

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
We will be down in Switzerland in next few days. I wondered about the drive over the mountain rather than the tunnel. We have the time.

I also understand there is a quiet aire on the route over. We are heading into Italy ultimately.

Anyone have any guidance experience ?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We will be down in Switzerland in next few days. I wondered about the drive over the mountain rather than the tunnel. We have the time.

I also understand there is a quiet aire on the route over. We are heading into Italy ultimately.

Anyone have any guidance experience ?
We have been over the top some time ago in a T5 pop top. From what I remember it was really nice without any bad points that stick in my memory.
If you do then you wont miss the cow bells, they can be heard clunking across the hills. The poor cows must be stone deaf.(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2016-7-15_11-40-46.png

although there are various ways over the mountains into Italy, as far as I know there is no road option close to the Mont Blanc tunnel. I may be taking your question too literally, but if you turn up in Chamonix, I don't think you have any options to cross without driving a lot of miles (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Depends where you are in Switzerland. I seem to recall the Gotthard Tunnel being pretty straightforward, and the price is included in your Swiss motorway vignette, whereas the Mont Blanc Tunnel toll is quite expensive for a MH.

As for going over the top, I think our SatNav took us over the Grimselpass one summer and it wasn't desperate. It's going downhill that's more of a problem than going up - you need to use low gear a lot and be careful not to overheat your brakes. As long as you're on the equivalent of an A road it's possible in a MH.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've been across the petit St Bernard pass a few times and it comes out at Courmeyer. It is OK.

Just drove the monster Mercedes moochermobile across the St Gottard pass this morning (just as well, there appeared to be a lot of queueing for the tunnel) and apart from thick fog at the top it was OK. Left Milan this morning and now in Mulhouse.

Speed cameras everywhere in Switzerland, by the way

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You don't say if you have been through the tunnel, but if you havnt , it cost us 30 odd euros, but well worth it , to go in , in snow and out to sun, brilliant.
But if you have done it it's probably worn off now

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you do go over the Cenis, there is a lake at the top believe it or not. Oh if Victors is still there you can park up and get a good meal. Say hello to Sonya for me;).
img023.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It was, Cummins 350 big cam. Fuller 13 speed. On route to the Laverda plant in Breganze to collect a combine harvester. Long time ago now.
Was that Fuller twin split? lovely smooth box. Owned a couple of them back in the 90s...BUSBY:):):)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't say if you have been through the tunnel, but if you havnt , it cost us 30 odd euros, but well worth it , to go in , in snow and out to sun, brilliant.
But if you have done it it's probably worn off now
When did you last go?
€57.60 from the French side, €58.50 from the Italian side.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was that Fuller twin split? lovely smooth box. Owned a couple of them back in the 90s...BUSBY:):):)

Thats the one. Good drivetrain in the day. That job was also a good un. Down empty, drop the trailer in the factory, go on the play for a couple of days whilst they loaded and chained it all down. Then paid for storage back in the UK until they wanted it delivered to customer. Happy days.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
Keeping my eye on this thread (could do with all the help I can) as I have it in mind to go to Ancona next year for the ferry to Greece and the Mont Blanc Tunnel is in a straight line from our usual arrival point of Roscoff.
Any suggestions (other than the tunnel) gratefully received.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Keeping my eye on this thread (could do with all the help I can) as I have it in mind to go to Ancona next year for the ferry to Greece and the Mont Blanc Tunnel is in a straight line from our usual arrival point of Roscoff.
Any suggestions (other than the tunnel) gratefully received.
Last year we went to Ancona through Austria via Fern & Brenna passes no tolls.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
In my experience going through the Blanc is akin to going through the channel tunnel. Its a big black hole with no scenery. I also prefer the run down the Milou valley and up the other side to going over the bridge. The view as you go over the top of the alps is far better than going through a big black hole, which what the tunnel really is. Each to there own I suppose but after the fire in the tunnel I never went through it again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Four years ago, :( and we are under three and half ton
No weight limits just a Camping Car Class.

In my experience going through the Blanc is akin to going through the channel tunnel. Its a big black hole with no scenery. I also prefer the run down the Milou valley and up the other side to going over the bridge. The view as you go over the top of the alps is far better than going through a big black hole, which what the tunnel really is. Each to there own I suppose but after the fire in the tunnel I never went through it again.

Totally agree who wants to go through a boring tunnel, did the Mont Blanc about 30 years ago in a car, don't like two way tunnels that long, bad enough when I was young trying to stay awake to avoid oncoming vehicles. Don't like the Chunnel either much rather be on a ferry.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

No weight limits just a Camping Car Class.

Totally agree who wants to go through a boring tunnel, did the Mont Blanc about 30 years ago in a car, don't like two way tunnels that long, bad enough when I was young trying to stay awake to avoid oncoming vehicles. Don't like the Chunnel either much rather be on a ferry.
Yeah ok , but you have both done it(y) agree about the milou bridge as well but would still go over it if I hadn't already done.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose which route will depend on where you want to cross from and end up in!

We went across up the Col del Grand St Bernard from the South in Italy at Aosta but didn't cross into Switzerland as we hadn't finished with our tour of Italy! Instead we went further West and crossed on the Col du Petit St Bernard into France - it is a beautiful route and easy, better scenery than we saw on the Grand one (at least on the Italy side).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All these tunnels and bridges and things cost, so ok when you have done it, they look dear and dark and high and anything else you can think of , but we are only here once and when you are there you might just as well use them the once, just to say , iv been there , iv done that, as most of you appear to have done, so I don't see why we should say to people who ask, don't do it.(y):)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All these tunnels and bridges and things cost, so ok when you have done it, they look dear and dark and high and anything else you can think of , but we are only here once and when you are there you might just as well use them the once, just to say , iv been there , iv done that, as most of you appear to have done, so I don't see why we should say to people who ask, don't do it.(y):)
... but we are entitled to give our opinions and taking the Millau bridge as an example, it's stunning to look at but absolutely boring as hell to go across as you cannot see a thing and don't appreciate the height, so unless you are in a hurry then going down via Millau itself would be the most scenic option. Similarly with the Mont Blanc tunnel ... I've not been through it and have no intention of doing so ... it must be boring as hell!

Give me a good old mountain pass any day (unless there is no other route other than a tunnel) ... we went across the Grossglockner Pass into Austria which cost us €35 one way but what a pass ... beautiful!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
... but we are entitled to give our opinions and taking the Millau bridge as an example, it's stunning to look at but absolutely boring as hell to go across as you cannot see a thing and don't appreciate the height, so unless you are in a hurry then going down via Millau itself would be the most scenic option. Similarly with the Mont Blanc tunnel ... I've not been through it and have no intention of doing so ... it must be boring as hell!

Give me a good old mountain pass any day (unless there is no other route other than a tunnel) ... we went across the Grossglockner Pass into Austria which cost us €35 one way but what a pass ... beautiful!
Absolutely agree with you especially millau bridge, a very big disappointment but the fact remains we have done it and I don't know about you but if I hadn't , despite all the facts I would do it again , also agree bout the tunnel but the experience of going in , in freezing snowy weather, all black for however long it takes and then suddenly coming out to bright sun in another country, I thought was amazing but there again don't think I will do it again, but there you go , been there, done it(y):)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014

We are off to Italy next year. Is the Grossglockner pass a very steep road or quite easy to drive?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Absolutely agree with you especially millau bridge, a very big disappointment but the fact remains we have done it and I don't know about you but if I hadn't , despite all the facts I would do it again , also agree bout the tunnel but the experience of going in , in freezing snowy weather, all black for however long it takes and then suddenly coming out to bright sun in another country, I thought was amazing but there again don't think I will do it again, but there you go , been there, done it(y):)
The Mont Blanc tunnel will always be special to us , we did it four or five years ago now, and when we started from home in our old converted LDV van we didn't really know if it would get us out of uttoxeter never mind up the Alps, but it never missed a beat and we carried on from there to Pisa and all around the Rivera into Spain and back, and would still have it now if the body would have stayed on:(:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We are off to Italy next year. Is the Grossglockner pass a very steep road or quite easy to drive?
It's not difficult at all however there is one bit you might NOT want to do and that's the road off to the 'bikers rest' bit when it's busy as that road is VERY windy and has a 3.5 ton limit ... but then again it also says no caravans but try telling that to the Dutch ... oh and the coaches that are allowed up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back