If Carlsberg made stupid questions then....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rogsmith, Oct 27, 2013.

1. rogsmith

rogsmith Read Only Funster

Ok me again,the newbie from hell.After already receiving lots of advise and help from people on here im back with some more questions.

After reading forums and other stuff today i have come up with a set of questions.Probably naive,possibly stupid but im not bothered i would just like to know the answers.
    These are based on me and my soon to be purchased van (hopefully) using site with electric hook up for starters.

So here goes

1/ Does the fridge just run off the electric on site.Or can it be loaded up before i leave home and it be powered somehow.

2/ Do i only need gas for cooking (and/or heating).I dont overly like the idea of having gas in the van but i realise its necessary.

3/ How many sockets are there in an average van,can i run a tv,laptop charge a mobile etc all at the same time.

4/ I know this one would go against a lot of peoples ideas of this sort of thing but my daughter couldnt go without it.
    Sky tv,i realise you would need to play around with a dish for a picture but can you take your sky card and system (if you got multi room easy to do) and use that.

5/ How much water does the tank hold,or whats the average usage if you were (3 people) showering everyday and just washing up etc

I know i had more questions than that but i cant remember them so i will post now and add to it later.

Or if anyone knows of a complete idiots or newbies guide that would answer these and more daft questions then please let me know of it.

2. Phill D

Phill D

see above:thumb:

3. rogsmith

Thanks mate,thats probably ended that thread then unless i can remember my other questions.Could be the shortest thread on the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Rog

As for the fridge do as mentioned and then when driving put it on 12v this will keep it nice and cool until arrive at site.

As for the shower we have 3 in the family and our last van was an elddis with a small fresh water tank I think it was 40L plus the water in the hot water tank about 15L, we could all shower in this no problem secret is turn shower on get wet turn shower off wash yourself then wash soap and shampoo off hardly any water used. Our new van has a 100L tank so my daughter has a big shower :Rofl1:

As above for sky you can buy a cheap portable sat set from aldi or lidl and they work a treat.

Some MHs have gas rings and one electric so is possible to cook with electric and if the site amps will take it you can use electric kettle and microwave.

We have 3 240v sockets but we tend to use more 12v stuff so we don't need to rely on electric, you can charge your phone and stuff via 12v or an inverter.

Hope this helps and the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

Pardon my asking, but why are you worried about having gas in the 'van?

Most fridges (especially in an older van) have a three way system, gas, electric and 12v.

I've got four electric sockets and two 12v sockets.

6. rogsmith

Just the safety aspect probably daft but we know what dodgy gas can do and has done.

7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Your first priority should be to fit both a smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector in the m/h.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogsmith

Exactly the two things i wont be without.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See the first link in my signature below. Might prevent you making some of my mistakes :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I have neither I'm doomed :Eeek:

My van is 13 miles from the house so I go over on the morning and put the fridge on gas.
    In the late afternoon I take the cold stuff over in a cool box and load the fridge ready to go.

EDIT this big Rapido only had 2 x 230volt sockets ( pitiful ) I now have 5

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. rogsmith

GJH
    Top notch mate,that could be exactly what i need to read.

Just thought of another question.I know this cant be exact because everyones situation varies but what are the average monthly costs for owning a van.Just owning one not site fees etc.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Take your Annual Insurance cost + Your annual Vehicle Tax Disc + MoT and then divide by 12 = Monthly basic costs for owning a van

Then there are all the other fcators, Storage charges, Fuel and Oils, Etc. But as you say they vary from one person to another.

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It is very hard to get the right van first go infact it would be miraculous as after lots of use you learn the shortcomings of the first purchase.
    The biggest losses are in buying and selling so try to at least get the second choice right.
    Before we turned MH'rs we added up our annual holiday bill as a budget.
    I'm not concerned with depreciation any more as we are now both happy with the second van in our lives and expect to keep it until retirement.
    Just remember that when you spend a bundle on a package holiday you might if you are lucky come home with a tan besides some photos but nothing else. When you come home from weeks around France etc you still have your van :thumb:

14. rogsmith

Techno100 ,
    Those are my thoughts exactly and the main reason i started looking at vans.I have paid stupid money for a caravan on a haven site because i have to go in School holidays.The cost dosnt stop there either £4.50 a pint im used to that where i live but come on.

I would much rather be sitting outside my mh on a nice evening watching my daughter playing and sipping on a few nice cheap cans.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Get your gas system pressure tested- if your worried turn off the gas before
    going to bed.

16. Phill D

Phill D

we have a gas alarm ( no not so we dont get gassed and robbed :Doh: ) sited to pick up any gas leaks while we may be asleep if we use gas for heating in winter or are off EHU.

£40 simple to fit. peace of mind as my other half has doesnt sleep easy with the gas heating on unless she knows the alarm is set.

i know its another cost ! ( smoke alarm, carbon monoxide alarm etc ) but you only have one life and you dont want to be spending it freezing your bits off in winter..:RollEyes::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. estcres

We would never consider having the heating on whilst we are asleep, electric or gas, think of the cost.

We have 4 hot water bottles, fill them a couple of hours before going to bed, when you get into bed it's lovely and warm and you stay warm throughout the night. Also save cuddling up to get warm:Rofl1:

By the way we also use them at home.:thumb:

18. Phill D

Phill D

if your on EHU youve already paid for it :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Exactly!!! If you are on site, SO are your toilets, showers, wash up for dishes, elsan dump, mate! if you are paying! use the bloody things!!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. estcres

True, my mistake