if a MH is sorn does it have to be insured

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chybax, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

Hi
    I was talking to a few people in work today and I mentioned that I cant wait till 1st March so I can tax the MH and a few of them said that on a car if its SORN then the Insurance is void, does this apply to a Motorhome or does it depend on your Insurer ?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if a vehicle is on sorn it DOES NOT have to be insured or MOTed......but you'd be a fool not to have insurance....electrical fires happen

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

:thumb:

they can also go walkabout

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

got my insurance renewal yesterday (Safeguard) and in the terms it says the vehicle MUST be taxed and MOTed for the full term of the insurance.

my thinking is if its on the road the above must apply as a legal requirement but when off the road it must include a Sorn declaration as that too is a legal requirement.

5. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

Its always Insured , I was worried it may effect my Insurance but I've never heard this before , maybe they were pulling my leg , hubby will be :Rofl1: at me when I tell him the question I've posted :Doh:

6. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

(Safeguard) and in the terms it says the vehicle MUST be taxed and MOTed for the full term of the insurance.

my thinking is if its on the road the above must apply as a legal requirement but when off the road it must include a Sorn declaration as that too is a legal requirement.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was worried about ! will check Insurance

7. Sidney

Sidney Funster

This is an odd requirement and I'm not sure what the advantage is to the insurance provider. If it is SORN it's off the road (and is less likely to be damaged by third party vehicles).

I'd assume this is a general covenant and as long as your vehicle is legal i.e. taxed or SORN you'll be okay. Equally if you vehicle is under 3 years old you legally don't need a MOT so you wouldn't hold one.

I did work in a Lloyds motor insurance claims office for a number of years and I can't see why it would have changed since then.

8. pappajohn

my interpretation exactly.
    i'm sure they realise because its a motorhome it wont be used 365 days a year and will be off the road in winter,

i know some use theirs all year round but many more dont.

9. pappajohn

This is what I was worried about ! will check Insurance

Just rang Safeguard with a renewal query (£40 cheaper than last year :thumb:) and also asked about the road tax situation.

as long as it has either a current tax disc or a current SORN declaration it IS insured :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  10. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes - I think what they really mean is, it needs to be legal LOL but a bit daft if you elaborate, to limit it to only one scenario, and far too complicated to denote every possibility - eg the SORNED vehicle MOT expires, then you book it in for one and need to drive it to the garage. That's legal. I presume it's legal to drive straight back home/to storage after that too?

(Bit annoying as you could have done a minor detour to the Post Office on your way home with the MOT pass certificate and taxed it - but there you go! LOL)

11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

BEFORE i sorned mine, i phone C&CC, they said it IS still insured,

12. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

I agree it does not have to be insured for use on the road but common sense says that is should be insured against all forms of mishaps that may cause it damage.

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

It MUST be insured when used on a public road but you may drive it to a MOT station for a BOOKED appointement for a MOT without a currect tax disc.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I think you have your wires crossed here... A vehicle does need to be insured for use on the road.

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Now I know I'm getting old and my mind does not always work the way it should. However I am sure there was a recent change in the law regarding SORN'd vehicles and insurance.
    but for the life of me can't think what it was

16. pappajohn

yes Roger, there is a new law.

the extent of the new ruling is, even if a vehicle is kept off road for any period (ie: garaged show/classic car etc) and is not declared sorn, it must have a current tax disc (even if its exempt through age/disabled registered etc) AND insured regardless.

declare sorn then it doesnt need insurance or MOT because its officially declared off the road.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  17. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Being on a SORN does not invalidate your insurance unless there is a clause to that effect, which I've never seen on any insurance policy I've bought. Obviously, this is presuming the vehicle is kept off road. If you're driving or parking a SORNed vehicle on road (and I'm not suggesting you are), then it is a very serious criminal offence considerably more serious than driving without insurance.

Christian.

18. Chybax

Chybax Read Only Funster

Its on our drive:Wink: Will be taxed on Friday and I will be intouch with my insurance company to see if it needs to be taxed for the duration of the insurance period, some companies DO state that even if SORN it must still be taxed ! Rip off :Angry:

19. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

Not all park up in winter many of us use the motor home 365 days a year
    Why would an insurer presum any thing ?
    The DVLA are trying to introduce that every SORN vehicle has to have insurance
    This may come in to force in 2014

No way to escape the Ever increasing costs

20. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Can you name some or all of these companies? I would like to avoid them.