Idiots question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hotelman, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

What sort of length of clear hose do we need for filling up the water tanks???, and before someone says it, the answer is NOT ' how long is a piece of string !!!'

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Correct, it's how long is a piece of hose.

Clear ??

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Ours is about 5m - not had a problem so far. We have a longer hose but haven't had to use it. If buying, I would be tempted to get 10m and cut it in half and quick release joint so that you have the capacity for 10m but don't have to deal with such a length for the majority of the time.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

How far will you be from a tap?
    If you know this, then your question is answered.
    Simple really.

5. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

I bought a flat food grade hose 15mtrs I think on a reel, I only use it at home to fill tank, then use watering can to top up as needed on site, saves hassle of getting to a water tap.

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Get more than you need and cut the hose into two sections clipped together with Hozelock type adapters - that way you can use whatever length you need on the day. Don't buy your hose fittings in a garden centre or B&Q - local markets are often a whole lot cheaper.

7. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Why clear hose? I have a 7m length of Whale (I think) that connects to the filler unit on the van but carry a variety of Hozelock connectors to extend it with ordinary hosepipe if necessary. If you drink the water from your onboard tank use blue potable hose and try a 5m length with an extra length in reserve to extend it if necessary. :Smile:

Edit: magicsurfbus beat me to it.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i have 2x 5m lengths of food grade hose with hoselock fittings on. I also carry a selection of brass connectors, hose end and tap connectors. i usually get away with using just 5m but on occasions have to connect the 2 hoses.

with a brass hose end, i can shut the water off till i reach the tank, plus the weight and size of it holds the hose into the filler port well so i can let go and do other jobs as the tank fills

i wouldnt choose clear food grade hose, as it will discolour and although remain safe it will probably start to look nasty. mine is white marine grade which i picked up locally at under £10 per 5m length

9. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I've been using a 3 metre length of food hose for 5 years and haven't failed to fill up. (yet)

10. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Where does everyone buy their hose, connectors etc is it from a diy shop or online. Was told i would need a collection of connectors so not sure what to buy.

11. maz

maz Funster

I use blue food grade hose rather than clear. Bought a 30m length that I cut into three sections: 3m, 9m and 18m. All equipped with Hozelock connectors so they can be connected together to form one continuous length if necessary, but more often used separately according to distance from tap. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I bought a reel of 20Mtrs flat hose at dealer where I bought van,and then various connectors from DIY stores and M'sieur Bricolage :BigGrin:

Mike

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i have a shop i use locally that sells garden stuff and bankrupt stock. but also bought some more quality fittings from ebay cheaply. dont rely on the cheap chinese plastic copies of hoselock fittings as they crack or wear out quickly. 99p for a chinese one £2.99 for a quality part

could also use B&Q etc as they always have stock

or
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Solid...eeder_CV&var=600042557219&hash=item46032715df

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I use an aquaroll and a sub pump....

15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Clear hose is not the best as daylight penetration can promote algal growth in the damp hose. I carry black food-grade hose in two lengths: 5 metres and 15 metres both equipped with push connectors (Hozelock) and a coupling spigot.

16. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Hose

Hoselock now do a mini reel with 15 mfrs hose. very compact and easy storage. Its not food grade but I flush it through thoroughly before use and do not think water from it will cause any problems.

17. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I carry two flat hoses, one a 10mtr the other a 20mtr, also 3 tap connectors, 2 screw on ones of different sizes and a push on one. I have a hose connector as well but never had to use it. The short one is most used but have use the long one a few times on sites to reach distant taps without moving. :BigGrin:

18. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I have a 25mtre blue flat pack hose & a short clear hose for filling next to the tap & on our last outing we needed to fill up so we rolled out both & were a few feet short so had to move the MH so another blue flat roll is needed....

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You can get food grade hose from a caravan/motorhome dealers accessory shop. The hose we use the most is about 5m and is reinforced water pipe of the type that is widely used for MH internal plumbing. Our is actually red (hot water) as the shop at the time didn't have any blue.
    Also have a reel of layflat food grade which is rarely used, and a 2m one for when I'm next to the tap. Also carry a watering can.

20. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster