Idiot question about twin wheels/axels (1 Viewer)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
This may make me feel like a complete prat but whats new ?

Many caravanettes :)Rofl1:) have twin back wheels, either on the same axel or twin axels, so...... how do you know when you get a puncture ?

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I can answer that one!! It's not a daft question if you have never felt it.

The van 'sits down' on that side. Had one of the twin rear wheels rupture a valve stem on our first trip with the van to France. You certainly feel it.The remaining wheel can't take all of the load and If you don't stop soon it may blow out.

Have steel valves all round now - don't want to do it again!

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years

Many caravanettes :)Rofl1:) have twin back wheels, either on the same axel or twin axels, so...... how do you know when you get a puncture ?
I had one on an old transit self build and when it blew it made a hell of a noise like someone was banging the floor to get in:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hi Graham,
Being an ex-HGV driver, l have had this happen to me, and you will notice on corners that something is amiss. Also there will be a large bulge in the remaining good tyre, because its now carrying twice as much weight. As for tag axles, it should become more apparent.
Craig.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

You'll know when the second tyre blows out because of the extra load.. :roflmto:

Only had it happen on a twin axle caravan.. when one of them blew out the van gave a jolt but stayed under control.. but I have heard of RV drivers not knowing and ending up with two shredded rear tyres.. :cry:

You can get remote wireless sensors installed which constantly monitor the pressures and give an audible alarm if something is amiss..

Jim

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
a caravanette is too small to have a twin wheel let alone a twin axle.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Smile:
But raises an interesting point. I take it that in order of 'goodyness' a twin axel is better than twin wheels ?

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
But raises an interesting point. I take it that in order of 'goodyness' a twin axel is better than twin wheels ?
Now you run the risk of this thread degenerating.

My preference is for twin rear wheels based on the fact that this gives 4 wheels driving.
Second or 'tag' axles are seldom driven which means you have a front wheel drive van. (nuff said)!

Other opinions are available and all PMs may be recorded for training purposes.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
twin wheel is far superior to twin axle as all four wheels are driven, giving a distinct advantage on soft or wet ground

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
twin wheel is far superior to twin axle as all four wheels are driven, giving a distinct advantage on soft or wet ground

I will bear that in mind but is the twin axel better for weight distribution or why ?

OP
OP
6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope

I will bear that in mind but is the twin axel better for weight distribution or why ?

and a puncture would inevitably be on the inside wheel so I assume you have to remove the outer one first ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

and a puncture would inevitably be on the inside wheel so I assume you have to remove the outer one first ?

A twin axle may spread the load better but will also result in more tyre wear, however the twin wheel chassis is designed to take the max load anyway so what do you gain. Yes you have to remove the outer wheel to do anything to the inner one, on mine anyway, some may well have nipple extenders to overcome that. My main concern would be not getting stuck on rally fields, not having to carry large bread trays etc.
I would suspect that twin axle would use more fuel as well. try moving a twin axle trailer and compare to a single axle to see what I mean a huge amount of extra effort is required, plus you have the weight of the extra axle, more springs and bushes to maintain

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have a twin wheel single axle. The outside tyre punctured and shredded and then with the extra wheight on the inner wheel the inner tyre blew.

I new immediatley when the first puncture happend because you can stii see the brown stains on the M53.

Jim

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +

Not according to many Caravan sites that have banned twin axle motorhomes/caravans due to the damage they cause on grass by 'turning' to tightly and screwing great lumps out of the surface of the grass.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i have only one wheel on each corner it matters not to me which is 'superior'

but in my opinion twin wheel, single axle vans really do look 'commercial'.:RollEyes:

Tag axles look the part....:thumb: and unless you do a lot of 'junction' turns the tyre wear is minimal.
no more so than a twin wheel , when sharp cornering, where the outside tyre is taking a slightly larger radius than the inside on the same hub so needing to turn fast but cant due to it being bolted to the inner one.
one of the tyres has to take some extra scuff wear.

makes sense to me, does it to you?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Tag axles cost more on some bridges/toll roads in Europe as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tag axles cost more on some bridges/toll roads in Europe as well.

as they do in the UK.
dont know about others cos i avoid 'em like pig flu but the humber bridge toll works on axle numbers.

twin wheel, single axle wrecker and a car on the spec frame = 3 axles on road.... goods vehicle rate. about £13 at the time.

return journey...just the two axles = heavy car rate :h:500kg...much cheaper. £2 odd

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back