Identifying the right LPG regulator - Help please. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Can someone help please? :(

P1040323.JPG

Having scoured the internet, I can find similar, but not the same 28/30 Mbar LPG regulator pictured above, which forms part of our bulk gas installation, and came with the MH. It is in good working order, but is time expired (if the two digit number underneath is anything to go by :eek: ).

Underneath that silver paint, there are traces of red, which also confirms it is a propane regulator, much like some American camping applications. To save any modifications, I would like to change it "like for like".
The threaded female inlet and outlet, appear to be 1/2 inch (12mm), with double male adapters at either end.

A local reputable dealership accessory shop advised that the Comap Clesse regulator (pictured below) was a direct swap.

$_12.JPG

As you can see, it clearly isn't a straight replacement or a direct swap. :(

Any help with the above, would be gratefully appreciated please. (y)

Thanks,

Jock. :)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I am not an expert! Ok so this is just my rambling. It seems to me that a regulator without a m20 hose connection is likely to be set at 37mbar, the pressure propane is used at by anyone outside the motorhome/caravan world. To get 30mbar means a m20 connection one end ( gas in) and a 8mm or 10mm compression the other end.
You can get a female m20 to 1/4" bsp male adapter. From BES part no 8915 ( w20 nut) and part 8995 ( 1//4" bsp male tail). From 1/4 bsp male I am sure you can get to copper compression. see bes item 11693, 8mm comp to 1/4 bsp female.
I dont think you will get straight replacement. Another thought is your copper pipe imperial or metric, are they compatable?
Must be others out there with better ideas though......

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The one shown is 30mB and it is possible that it is a direct swap. Your original is fitted with male-to-female and male-to-male adaptors on the LHS. Discard these and it's likely the pipe sleeve nut will fit and that the pipe end will have a female flare - both suitable for your new regulator. Similarly the RHS of the existing regulator has a male-to-male adaptor fitted, Discard this and it's likely that the new reg will screw directly in. You won't be certain until you remove the old regulator and, assuming the new one fits as described, you will need gas-rated PTFE tape or liquid sealant for the RHS joint.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I am not an expert! Ok so this is just my rambling. It seems to me that a regulator without a m20 hose connection is likely to be set at 37mbar, the pressure propane is used at by anyone outside the motorhome/caravan world. To get 30mbar means a m20 connection one end ( gas in) and a 8mm or 10mm compression the other end.
You can get a female m20 to 1/4" bsp male adapter. From BES part no 8915 ( w20 nut) and part 8995 ( 1//4" bsp male tail). From 1/4 bsp male I am sure you can get to copper compression. see bes item 11693, 8mm comp to 1/4 bsp female.
I dont think you will get straight replacement. Another thought is your copper pipe imperial or metric, are they compatable?
Must be others out there with better ideas though......
Thanks SandraL. :)

There are quite a few alternatives available, but I specifically do not want to go down the route of modifying, or altering the current set up.................................unless I am forced to, but that would require a more professional input, as it's something I am not keen on doing myself. :(

The one shown is 30mB and it is possible that it is a direct swap. Your original is fitted with male-to-female and male-to-male adaptors on the LHS. Discard these and it's likely the pipe sleeve nut will fit and that the pipe end will have a female flare - both suitable for your new regulator. Similarly the RHS of the existing regulator has a male-to-male adaptor fitted, Discard this and it's likely that the new reg will screw directly in. You won't be certain until you remove the old regulator and, assuming the new one fits as described, you will need gas-rated PTFE tape or liquid sealant for the RHS joint.
Thanks Tony. :)

I already removed the old regulator last week, and the two male to male 1/2 inch adapters. This is how I know that the advised replacement, won't fit, A... because the threads are wrong, and B... it is too long to fit in the gap. I have reinstalled the original unit, using PTFE tape, and leak tested after completion, using a propriety fluid. (y)

BTW, the connection on the right of the original regulator, is to a vapouriser.

Cheers,

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@Techno. Andy, do you have a link please, to the regulator (far left) which you fitted to your bulk tank please?

CA_11231411581952-L.jpg

Cheers,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have the identical one to your original.:) I just changed mine for an equivalent from the MH dealer + new flexible hose . Mine I believe ,fitted straight on & was also connected to the liquid vaporiser after the main bulk tank.
Unfortunately I cannot tell you what make/type new one is as to fit/repair etc; the whole bottom side panel had to be removed from the van .
Through the access hatch all I have access to is the gauge which has the gas fill inlet valve attached on left & outlet valve on right.
After I changed it I have looked at the old one & wondered whether it was possible to still get replacement diaphragms.:D2 Mine was a 'GOK' make . Italian.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Gus. :)

I'll have a look.

My original was 1990 stamped on it.
This one has two digits stamped on the base of it, ie, 92, so I am assuming that was the year of manufacture.

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back