Ideas on interesting places to visit Europe. (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I know its a bit early planning but I intend to do a bigger tour of Europe now I am retired and have no time limit.This time will be on my own as wifey doesnt like "camping" and finds it difficult to do big walks. As I will be alone I need plenty of interesting places to visit I will have my folding bike and also a Honda Innova on rear of camper..My intended route will be over on tunnel (no return ticket) then Poland (auswitz/salt mines) and eventually hopefully reach Romania then back across Croatia Austria etc using Aires /Steplatz.Any nice /historical/interesting places on route will be appreciated/noted. Reguards Chris.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
So much to see and so little time.

As above

See the tourist offices where ever you are, they are full of surprises.
Wandering is also very good, who knows what you will come across.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
My intended route will be over on tunnel (no return ticket) then Poland (auswitz/salt mines) and eventually hopefully reach Romania then back across Croatia Austria etc using Aires /Steplatz.
Am with Yorick and Stealaway as the above is about as much planning as I would do. A bit of background reading is about all I would do so that when I am there I can think, "Ooh look, I know about that. I think I'll have a shutfti". That's how I would go but we are all different.
Having said that the Plitvice lakes in Croatia and the Italian Dolomites were places I found by this method.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was interested to read your post @ultima as I am planning similar for 2018 when I intend to take an extended break from work.
OH not keen to come so looks (at the moment) like I`ll be on my own with the dog !
The easy thing to do would be to not go but as it`s what I dreamed of doing for many years I`m not going to compromise.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
I find Lonely Planet and similar guides a good read over the winter, you can drive past fantastic places and end up in boring touristy ones if you just drive aimlessly.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Looking at your route, a few places leap out at me. Firstly, Venice, OK a bit off your route, but worth a visit. Then there's Stuabachfall in Switzerland, you can take a cable car up the mountain, an excellent day out, and you get to see the set of one of the James Bond films! :D
And in Southern Germany, there's neuschwanstein castle. A brilliant day out again, you get a guided tour of the castles, and you get taken up the hill on a horse drawn cart! :D

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I was interested to read your post @ultima as I am planning similar for 2018 when I intend to take an extended break from work.
OH not keen to come so looks (at the moment) like I`ll be on my own with the dog !
The easy thing to do would be to not go but as it`s what I dreamed of doing for many years I`m not going to compromise.
I was intending to go on m/bike as we did tour a few times on it,but think it is more practical and even cheaper allowing for cost of hotels/eating against m/home costs.Went last year -first time I had driven motor -Germany etc.Just want to pre-plan places to go instead of rambling on.One thing if on your own you dont have to be so "fussy/tidy" just gets a bit lonely at evening time.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I was intending to go on m/bike as we did tour a few times on it,but think it is more practical and even cheaper allowing for cost of hotels/eating against m/home costs.Went last year -first time I had driven motor -Germany etc.Just want to pre-plan places to go instead of rambling on.One thing if on your own you dont have to be so "fussy/tidy" just gets a bit lonely at evening time.
What bike does sir have ?

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
What bike does sir have ?
Just a 2007 650 Deauville now as the big bmw"s were getting a bit of a maul for me (5"8 /10 st )and I find the D/V much more manageable.Got the big lids on pannioers/comfort seat etc, also my little Innova for the van.Been riding bikes since 1967 though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Get the DK Eyewitness guidebooks for the countries you're going to travel through. They have good photos and highlight the best places to visit.
But given where you intend to travel worth thinking now about insurance and breakdown cover. ADAC very good for the latter if they let you join.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This time will be on my own as wifey doesnt like "camping"............t I will have my folding bike and also a Honda Innova on rear of camper.

With luck like you've got you don't need any help from us.

But since you asked. Chamonix, Aiguile du Midi is a must see cable car ride. Schloss Neu Swanstein. The Rhein Falls. The Rhein around Sankt Goar, just marvel at what runs on the Rhein. Chocham, round the corner on Moselle, marvel at the lengths they go to to make wine for us. Monte Baldo on Lake Garda, one of the best views in Italy. Guzzi museum on Como ( Lake Lario ). Florence, climb the Duomo and just admire the city. Ferrari and Ducati museums. That will keep you busy for a day or two.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I know its a bit early planning but I intend to do a bigger tour of Europe now I am retired and have no time limit.This time will be on my own as wifey doesnt like "camping" and finds it difficult to do big walks. As I will be alone I need plenty of interesting places to visit I will have my folding bike and also a Honda Innova on rear of camper..My intended route will be over on tunnel (no return ticket) then Poland (auswitz/salt mines) and eventually hopefully reach Romania then back across Croatia Austria etc using Aires /Steplatz.Any nice /historical/interesting places on route will be appreciated/noted. Reguards Chris.
So many, most recently I visited Bavaria in Germany lots historical sites to see like the Eagles nest and Berghoff, also Konigsee. We took the Jenner cable car 2000 meters up the mountain stunning scenery. Obviously better in the warm, if you don't ski.
Lonely Planet and the internet is essential for planning, you can download LP in PDF format and they often have a sale!!! If you register with LP they will send you offers.

BTW if you are in northern Poland the Wolfs lair is a must see!!
My pano towards the eagles nest
20160909_105544.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I've visited Auschwitz I & Auschwitz II (Birkenau) Auschwitz I is (more or less) still the same as the day it was relieved from the German's, it originally was a Polish army barracks.

Birkenau, which is a couple of miles away, and it's VAST, it took the wife and I nearly half an hour to walk from the front gate to the rear, where the remains of the crematoria lie, if you decide to walk one side to the other it's twice as far ?

Owing to the shear size of both Auschwitz I & II try to do the visit over a few days.

I also visited the salt mine, Wieliczka, a MUST visit, BUT, the ONLY way in to walk down a staircase, 54 LEVELS down, the good thing is you get the miners cage lift to get out.

Dependant on where you intend to stay, we stayed in Krakow. Within the town of Krakow there are small battery operated taxis (a bit like golf car/trolley) that will take you to the "Oskar Schindller" factory and/or the Krakow Ghetto. When visited the Ghetto (2012) there was a house there that had been pad locked up since the end of the war, awaiting the return of it's owner, I think it was to go over to council ownership at the end of 2015.

Poland, a very nice country and people, enjoy

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years

But since you asked. Chamonix, Aiguile du Midi is a must see cable car ride. Schloss Neu Swanstein. The Rhein Falls. The Rhein around Sankt Goar, just marvel at what runs on the Rhein. Chocham, round the corner on Moselle, marvel at the lengths they go to to make wine for us. Monte Baldo on Lake Garda, one of the best views in Italy. Guzzi museum on Como ( Lake Lario ). Florence, climb the Duomo and just admire the city. Ferrari and Ducati museums. That will keep you busy for a day or two.[/Q Thanks noted it down-.My first tour was Como on a 1978 R65 -wish I had known Guzzi museum was there !!

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
So many, most recently I visited Bavaria in Germany lots historical sites to see like the Eagles nest and Berghoff, also Konigsee. We took the Jenner cable car 2000 meters up the mountain stunning scenery. Obviously better in the warm, if you don't ski.
Lonely Planet and the internet is essential for planning, you can download LP in PDF format and they often have a sale!!! If you register with LP they will send you offers.

BTW if you are in northern Poland the Wolfs lair is a must see!!
My pano towards the eagles nest
View attachment 135185
Been Konigsee but would love to visit Eagles Nest and Wolfs Lair-any details where they are? Getting a list together now!

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I've visited Auschwitz I & Auschwitz II (Birkenau) Auschwitz I is (more or less) still the same as the day it was relieved from the German's, it originally was a Polish army barracks.

Birkenau, which is a couple of miles away, and it's VAST, it took the wife and I nearly half an hour to walk from the front gate to the rear, where the remains of the crematoria lie, if you decide to walk one side to the other it's twice as far ?

Owing to the shear size of both Auschwitz I & II try to do the visit over a few days.

I also visited the salt mine, Wieliczka, a MUST visit, BUT, the ONLY way in to walk down a staircase, 54 LEVELS down, the good thing is you get the miners cage lift to get out.

Dependant on where you intend to stay, we stayed in Krakow. Within the town of Krakow there are small battery operated taxis (a bit like golf car/trolley) that will take you to the "Oskar Schindller" factory and/or the Krakow Ghetto. When visited the Ghetto (2012) there was a house there that had been pad locked up since the end of the war, awaiting the return of it's owner, I think it was to go over to council ownership at the end of 2015.

Poland, a very nice country and people, enjoy
Thanks will take in Auschwitz and salt mines and intend to stay in Krakow,-Chris.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years

But since you asked. Chamonix, Aiguile du Midi is a must see cable car ride. Schloss Neu Swanstein. The Rhein Falls. The Rhein around Sankt Goar, just marvel at what runs on the Rhein. Chocham, round the corner on Moselle, marvel at the lengths they go to to make wine for us. Monte Baldo on Lake Garda, one of the best views in Italy. Guzzi museum on Como ( Lake Lario ). Florence, climb the Duomo and just admire the city. Ferrari and Ducati museums. That will keep you busy for a day or two.
My first bike tour was Como wish I knew the Guzzi factory was there!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My first bike tour was Como wish I knew the Guzzi factory was there!

It was out first trip to Italy, on an FZ750. Stayed on Lake Maggiore and visited Monza and Guzzi. There started our love of Italy. Returned to Italy by bike this year, solo, 'er indoors is not up for long bike trips now. Jaws has been doing a bike Italian run every year at the end of July for many many years now. Lots of biking going on in here.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I enjoyed visiting Vienna, Salzburg, and Zell am Zee this autumn. When driving 'through' Austria your SatNav may well take you into Bavaria, So consider looking at The Eagle's Nest, Schloss Neuwachstein, and Munich while you're there. We've also decided to drive up the Grossglockner Pass on our next Austrian trip, hopefully in a new MH - we left it this time as our old van is getting on a bit and I didn't want to knacker the brakes before selling it. I also imagine Hallstatt would make for an interesting trip. If you pop through the Brenner Pass into S Tyrol (N Italy) you could visit Otzi the Iceman at Bolzano.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Been Konigsee but would love to visit Eagles Nest and Wolfs Lair-any details where they are? Getting a list together now!
OK well the Wolfs lair is here and there is an aire on the site, so very convenient.
https://goo.gl/maps/8NSYW9egRQH2

You might want to go through Warsaw, Stalin's wedding cake and the zeppelin hangers were impressive!

This is the eagles nest car park, suitable for MH's....bloody tight steep climb though, not for the feint hearted driver or vehicle o_O
https://goo.gl/maps/pMJvXgc4MmP2
There are a couple of camping sites around the Berchesgarden area but I preferred the bad reichenhall spa aire,
https://goo.gl/maps/fy3G17hCjcC2

although a bit pricey you get free travel on the local buses and a discount for the other buses to Salzburg etc. Also a discount on their spa facilities.
There is also a free aire right in the carpark next door to the spa complex.
From this aire you can take the bus or train to Berchesgarden and connect to the eagles nest buses (2). On the second bus you go up and down the bendy road which was a feat of engineering at the time. You can also get the bus or train to Salzburg from Bad Reichenhall.
The Jenner bahn is also a must do, the bus that goes to Konigsee terminates there.

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
OK well the Wolfs lair is here and there is an aire on the site, so very convenient.
https://goo.gl/maps/8NSYW9egRQH2

You might want to go through Warsaw, Stalin's wedding cake and the zeppelin hangers were impressive!

This is the eagles nest car park, suitable for MH's....bloody tight steep climb though, not for the feint hearted driver or vehicle o_O
https://goo.gl/maps/pMJvXgc4MmP2
There are a couple of camping sites around the Berchesgarden area but I preferred the bad reichenhall spa aire,
https://goo.gl/maps/fy3G17hCjcC2

although a bit pricey you get free travel on the local buses and a discount for the other buses to Salzburg etc. Also a discount on their spa facilities.
There is also a free aire right in the carpark next door to the spa complex.
From this aire you can take the bus or train to Berchesgarden and connect to the eagles nest buses (2). On the second bus you go up and down the bendy road which was a feat of engineering at the time. You can also get the bus or train to Salzburg from Bad Reichenhall.
The Jenner bahn is also a must do, the bus that goes to Konigsee terminates there.
Thanks have noted it down two of the places I want to include Probably ride the little Innova there instead of my PVC 6 mtr conv.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have been to Romania 3 times in our van. I will put on some recommendations when I am next on a PC as opposed to a phone

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back