Ideas For Our First Few Outings

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ja63, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Ja63

Ja63

So, we are counting down the days until we get our first motorhome.....9 days to go.....

Would you tell me about some nice places you have been? We are located in Cannock (near Birmingham in the Midlands) and want some stopovers within and hour or two of home to test out our van and equipment then we'll venture a bit further.

I love the idea of waterside stopovers, a river bank, lake or a nice canalside location. The closer we can park to the water, the better. When we go a bit further, I've always envied Motorhomers parked up beachside for the night, so I definitely want to do that (but a quiet beach not Blackpool seafront!!).

It would be nice (if on small sites) if they are dog friendly and have something we can walk to...a pub, village or place of interest. When our children were young we used to spend days out in Snowdonia and always said a motorhome would be great for that......are there any nice stopping places there?

We don't mind Britstops (have subscribed but not received our book yet), 'wild camping' or small sites but aren't really keen on big sites with pools and clubs etc. We must be getting old because peace and tranquility with our two little fur-balls is what we crave.

Looking forward to your suggestions.......

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Have a look at this site - about 1.1/2 hours from Cannock. Beautiful site by the canal, fabulous shower block, great dog friendly pub right on the doorstep and walkable to Slimbridge Wetlands Centre.

http://www.tudorcaravanpark.com/

• Like Like x 1
  3. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Hi

Great idea to do your shakedowns local, so no long journey. We are very local to you and also believe that once away in the MoHo even at the end of the street is away, and have found a few local sites

All of these will be less than an hour from you, and all highly recommended

Red Lion Farm Haughton Stafford working farm cafe, own ice cream short 5mins walk walk to pubs, convenience store, or longer to the old railway track great for bikes, dogs
    Kingsbury Water Park, Kingsbury remote but relaxing ( bit of a theft prob at present I believe from travellers) lakeside walks
    Grindley Brook, Whitchurch sit in the van watch the canal boats go by. Cafe and petrol station shop really close
    Canalside grindley brook nice site, but a little odd, too many rules and signs every where, but great position.
    Wharf Tavern Goldthorpe, Market Drayton, pub with campsite right on the canal, fantastic food, make sure you book campsite and food else you won't get in very popular food with the locals
    Cotton Arms Wrembury right on the canal, good pub, 5mins walk to shop.
    Severn gorge Telford, no canal but 40 mins walk to bliss hill Victorian village museum
    Bit further afield
    Bosworth water trust Market Bosworth, our experience here was not good, muddy and dirty but sure it would be better in the summer

Seems I have given all my secret sites up....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    As above,"Cotton Arms Wrembury" and the good old faithfull..... Snowdonia? = SHELL ISLAND... Plenty of reviews/Pics etc on this Fun site. Go for it!!
    Tea Bag

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Another vote for cotton arms at Wrenbury..
    Also we are just back from a rally this weekend with the MCC. ( Motorcaravanners club) at Carsington water near Asbourne, Thats a nice spot. Small site just 5 min walk from the lake at £6 a night.
    As well as Grindley brook you have the horse and jockey pub on the A41.... Plus Chester, it's only a car park but you can stay overnight there. A good way to test everything in the van.
    There is also Tackeroo up on the chase....

6. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

wolverly club site, only an hour from you near Kidderminster, canal side location, the lock pub 50 yds from site,good beer and food, queens head in the village bands on Friday night, also good food, nice walks and great for a bike ride along the canal

7. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

shell island, we love it there

8. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

We are currently based just outside Rugeley and would have to agree with many of the sites recommended by trekkin, Kingsbury Waterpark is one of my personal favourites with plenty to do for a weekend and a great little pub the Dog and Duplet a 5 minute walk from the site (does fantastic homemade Steak and Onion pie and a great selection of beers), we often only travel an hour or less particularly in the winter and more often than not head towards the Peak District which has a multitude of sites to choose from which range from all singing all dancing family sites down to very small CL sites. Living in the midlands you are spoilt for choice as you are not really that far from anywhere in UK including the ferry ports. If you want more info on sites try these links www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ or www.pitchup.com

• Like Like x 1