I'd like to sell my van sooner than later......

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Elsewhere on the forum I have my van for sale. I have already had an offer from the trade which is a little too far from my asking price for comfort.

However ........................ Just before I put it on Ebay I am wondering about whether or not to adjust the price 'for a quick sale' :eek:

My view is that rather than take a lower price form a dealer I would prefer to take a lower price from a fellow funster who would appreciate the savings :)

I am wondering what is the best way to procure a quick sale. What would you do?

2. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

With the amount of miles you have done since i have been following you on your blogs in that van, may i suggest 'clocking it' then it will be a bargin?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ouch !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:laughing:
    I think it's a good price from what I can remember. Just put it on eBay and say or very near offer . You'll no doubt get the one legged soldiers being injured in Afghanistan , and I have a disabled child that would be more comfy in a Motorhome but don't have any money will you give it away stories , like we did. Maybe the odd well buy it with out seeing it and send a courier scam. But I bet you sell it. It's a great van.
    Put it on gumtree too. My friends just got full asking price after 2 days on there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

You can advertise it on ebay as a classified ad £15 I think. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I put my Geist Silver Spirit 700G on ebay this time lat year. I started it at 99p with NO RESERVE and $4at myself for a week. I planned it so that it finished on a Sunday evening at about 8.15 and it reached a fair if slightly disappointing price just 4-5 days in and stayed there until 2 minute to go when all the snipers leapt at it and it rose by almost £4000 in under 2 minutes.

The eventual buyer was well pleased with the price, couldn't believe his luck I on the other hand couldn't believe that I ran that beast for just over three years and lost less than £400 excluding what I spent on it in the way of LED/ Solar / Camos Dome etc. Right result lovely jubely.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Are you giving up or chopping in for something else for pastures new?

8. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Guy just joined the forum has started looking for a van.

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Phew you were brave. I wouldn't have dared.:Eeek:
    But I suppose if it didn't reach a good price you could pull out. If it meant losing £1,000's

10. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I put my motorhome on EBay with a starting bid price and a Buy it Now price. Someone clicked Buy it Now within hours, paid a deposit and arrived the following weekend to collect it. I was expecting a lot of hassle but it went through very quickly and easily.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Unless the winner went all 'legal' on you. AFAIK an auction sale is legally binding.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

my brother may be interested but wont know for a couple of days - presume that is too long.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

What s ebays percentage for a car/van sale?

14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

It varies, sometimes they write and say list it for £1.00, if it is an auction and you start off at 99p as I did that brings the rate right down. I sold for £31,400.00 and it cost me £34 in total for 9 photos and top of page or some other gimmick.

If it is just a classified advert it gets a lot more expensive.

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

yeah but with a classified the basic price normally about £15 is all you pay..its good value. weather improving now, in a weeks I have talks in progress with 2 serious buyers...so far all talk:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I was thinking more a buy now price. Its only my old car so not looking for much but i tend to ask 10% more than i want on other items to cover ebay fees. Just wondering what to add if u use it to sell my car.

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I recall that in just a few days it had bids up around £27,000, now if you are aware that the dealer had offered me £30,000 or £5000 off the price if I manged to sell it privately and that was without beginning to negotiate so at £27000 I was already £2000 ahead of the opening offer from Southdowns.

Then it sold for £30,500 and he gave me a further £900 for a load of bits an pieces. Then of course once I had been let down by the seller of the new Frankia I found the larger model in Germany and after a bit of negotiation saved almost £30,000 plus the exchange rate was in my favour as well, every day that I hadn't parted with the dosh saved another £1000 on the £100,000+ exchange rate.

All in all it was the deal of the century and I'm still chuffed to this day.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Is that all, my youngest son deals in trailers and he pays up around £30 for a £500 item, if it really is £15 then that is good value.

19. ****

**** Read Only Funster

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Mr B

Mr B Funster

I sold our swift challenger 620 a year ago. Got 12k for it... Cost £15 classified ad :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2