LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jim, not an iBoost, but I had the same problem the last two years at Malvern, using a directional Ralink antenna, and only early morning or late at night, could I access the BT Fon signal from the houses on the hill. :(

I am having the same problem on the North Norfolk Coast, with the ALFA R36.

Good luck. (y)

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've had no success yet, either in France or the UK ... except outside my house and connecting to the local pub free wifi

While in France I tried it every time we stopped for the night, but could never find an open wifi and when I tried connecting to France Fon using my BT address and password it wasn't accepted..

Not saying it's a bad bit of kit, far from it, but I'm thinking it may have been better to spend the £160 on a 3 Mifi with a ton of data..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I had no success yet, either in France or the UK ... except outside my house and connecting to the local pub free wifi

While in France I tried it every time we stopped for the night, but could never find an open wifi and when I tried connecting to France Fon using my BT address and password it wasn't accepted..

Not saying it's a bad bit of kit, far from it, but I'm thinking it may have been better to spend the £160 on a 3 Mifi with a ton of data..

The benefit we get Jim is when we stay on sites.

One wifi token feeding 4 tablets.

Likewise on municipals I always try to park in range of the office which often has a wifi zone.

I have had lots of success with Fon in the UK but never abroad.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Spain, France, Germany and UK no problem with "Fon", however in France you most change the base IP address of the router as "Fon" login page will not open. This has been posted here on the forum.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The benefit we get Jim is when we stay on sites.

One wifi token feeding 4 tablets.

Likewise on municipals I always try to park in range of the office which often has a wifi zone.

I have had lots of success with Fon in the UK but never abroad.

Hi Chris, I can see the benefit when you are on a site.. but we seldom if ever use them.. so to date it has been an expensive bit of kit that we haven't been able to benefit from

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've had no success yet, either in France or the UK ... except outside my house and connecting to the local pub free wifi

We've got both.

I've had far more success with the iBoost in the UK than in Europe. Exactly the same as you with France FON although the only BT email address I have is a business one so maybe you don't get FON with that. It did work perfectly in Freiburg with the Stellplatz wifi though (€1 for 24 hours access) where the Mifi wasn't picking up anything usable.

The Mifi is only used abroad with a 3 SIM card until one of the other networks produces something similar so I can throw it away. I but 7GB on it before we left and that was more than enough for the 3 of us. I found the 3G coverage in France to be far better than it is in the UK. I was also getting 4G on my phone almost everywhere. Coverage seemed a bit patchy in Germany though.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Spain, France, Germany and UK no problem with "Fon", however in France you most change the base IP address of the router as "Fon" login page will not open. This has been posted here on the forum.
Hi John. .how is that done.. my instructions say not to go to the other pages on the router log in site and change the settings ,but I'm assuming that's what I would have to do...
If you could give me an pointer I'd appreciate that,but it would have to be in simple terms..:)
Ta Andy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I do not have a clue of what you are talking about.....BUSBY:D:D:D

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Andy, just about to go out and sort a funster here, but if you do a search on here you will find the post that details how. If you fail I will find it on return

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am glad that some of you have finally come out and said you can't get any sense out of bt fon in France, I have been saying this now for three years and all I have had is people saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, and they watching TV and all sorts with it, I have only once got a connection with it and that was a couple of months ago outside a cafe, but it last all of two minutes then a message came up it was cutting off because to many devices connected(n)
Just can't make it out.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy, just about to go out and sort a funster here, but if you do a search on here you will find the post that details how. If you fail I will find it on return
Thanks John. . Your services are always in big demand as I've seen at meets.. I'll have a look...I could only remember people advising changing the details but never how they did it...
I'll try and find it but my previous search skill have been poor....:LOL:
Thanks again..Andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I only have FON not BT but it will sometimes find a SFR FON spot when in France and I can log on OK, sometimes when the signal is too weak you can see the WiFi spot but the log in won't open.

@andy63 i don't mess with anything I shouldn't.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 i don't mess with anything I shouldn't.

Hi Martin,and I won't,but there does appear to be an issue with a lot of people not been able to log on to sfr in France ... There appears to be a fix if you know how so if I end up in that position I'd like to know how to have a go...
I'm always prepared to mess around with my own toys lol... sometimes disaster sometimes you learn something....
I'll bet you are just the same..:LOL:
Ta Andy

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I am at Malvern and connected OK to BT fon but as @Don Quixote says it can get overloaded when everyone is trying to connect to the same one.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Put it in the bin and go for a run instead jim.
The complaints well still be there when you log on at home

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Well I'm on someone's "Fon" now checking emails and connected first time, but as 90% of the iBoost MH owners are at the show it's easy. Come 6PM not a chance...................... back to mifi

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
So I just went out and bought one. I can see the three counties signal but get no signal strength. I've managed to connect to a house on the hill fon signal but I'm not a fon member so can't see if this is working or not

Have to try it tomorrow on the campsite

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Ok I now have a signal to three counties at 81sbm. Just about green xt ex is 6.5mbps/24mbps. Still can't get on websites though

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Why not just get a 3 Huawei Mifi router works all over Europe, most now at no extra travel cost.
A third of the price as well by the sounds of it.
That's all we ever use now cost us £49.99 to buy I think and under a £10 a month for something like 7 or 10 gig runs 5 appliances at once if needed and we've never used it all. Use it all the time laptop smartphones and kindles great little gadget and simple to use.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why not just get a 3 Huawei Mifi router works all over Europe, most now at no extra travel cost.

Because 3G isn't a replacement for Wifi. It has it's place but for us it's as well as, not instead of.

FunnyFendt

Free Member
Jun 21, 2010
BH24 2LG
Funster No
MH
Rapido 927F, A-class, LHD
Exp
Since 2000
We have been using the iboost for a couple of years now, mainly for a wifi connection when we are touring in France. It is better if you aim for a larger town as you stand more chance of connecting to a signal. We changed our home broadband from tiscali to BT so we could get the wifi hotspots and equivalent when abroad. Just come back from 6 weeks touring France, Spain and Belgium and iboost worked flawlessly when connecting to SFR signals.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Just moved to a campsite near Bristol I boost seems to work perfectly to boost the free wifi signal here as it was a bit week

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Has Jim ( the self confessed idiot) connected yet?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jim, sitting in a farmyard in Watchet,,,, closest wifi is a fon hotspot about 250 yards away..

Logged on to my mhw set up ( already covered above ) went to wireless, select , then scan. Select the strongest signal from the list ( that is the one with the lowest first number ) click on the little box to the left of the station you select, click on change, then apply

If you have selected a bt station then you should open a new window and go to www. Bt.com and log in. I have a fon account ( one off payment of £19 to get the fon modem and lifetime membership ) .. So I can either go to bt.com or type in www.fon.com ( as bt work in conjunction with fon )
I can then log on using my name and password,to the fon server..
From that point on you can use the interweb as if you are directly connected to it.. ( and it must say, the station I am currently logged on to is WAY faster than my own internet at home !! )

Reactions: Jim

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
Can anyone help on the security on this. The password I've been given by the campsite is 4 digits long. I've tried all the different security options - WEP, WPA, wpa-TKIP etc but they are all saying the pass key or password isnt long enough?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can anyone help on the security on this. The password I've been given by the campsite is 4 digits long. I've tried all the different security options - WEP, WPA, wpa-TKIP etc but they are all saying the pass key or password isnt long enough?

Doesn't sound right to me.

Router passwords are usually 8 characters minimum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back