iBoost - help me decide which model to buy please (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We're going to buy and iBoost and see that there's a new 2015 model available. The cost of the new one is £349 and the other version is £199. Can anyone tell me what the main advantages are of the new one opposed to the old model please?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The one you are looking at for £349 is designed to be permanently installed i.e with the antenna fixed to your roof. The other one isn't, you put the antenna out as you need it and then put it away again.

Other than that, in terms of functionality, the kit is identical as far as I know.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi ..not looked but from memory I think the fitted one is an omni directional antenna whereas the more popular choice at less money is the directional antenna with a better stated range.. The downside been that it requires pointing... but that's no real hardship. .. about 4 turns gets you the 360degrees and then you can choose your preferred connection.... that's assuming you don't get a suitable one on your first point...
Hope that helps..
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi ..not looked but from memory I think the fitted one is an omni directional antenna whereas the more popular choice at less money is the directional antenna with a better stated range.. The downside been that it requires pointing... but that's no real hardship. .. about 4 turns gets you the 360degrees and then you can choose your preferred connection.... that's assuming you don't get a suitable one on your first point...
Hope that helps..
Ta andy

I've got a normal omni (not the fitted one) and the range isn't bad. Need to park up next to someone with a directional and do a proper comparison.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've got a normal omni (not the fitted one) and the range isn't bad. Need to park up next to someone with a directional and do a proper comparison.

The directional antenna can be permanently mounted as well.. techno did an excellent how to using kit easily sourced..
My point was that the two antennas mentioned differ in one is omni directional and gathers all available signals without the need to rotate but the directional with a stated better range does obviously require pointing at its sources..
Ta Andy. .

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm getting a bit confused now....

As far as I can see, there are three products available from iBoost - which are:

= iBoost Pro D8 Directional System £159
- iBoost Omni-Directional System £199
- 2015 Fitted iBoost Omni-Directional £349

Obviously two of the products are omni-directional. What I'd like to know is what the main differences are between the two omni-directional ones. Can anyone help please?

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
The more expensive one is permently fitted to your van with a fitting kit, the other you manually set up and take down each time you use it.
So the additional cost is for the permanent fitting kit, both function the same.

I have the directional one and works well.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The more expensive one is permently fitted to your van with a fitting kit, the other you manually set up and take down each time you use it.
So the additional cost is for the permanent fitting kit, both function the same.

I have the directional one and works well.

£150 for a fitting kit! Are you sure?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Obviously two of the products are omni-directional. What I'd like to know is what the main differences are between the two omni-directional ones. Can anyone help please?

£150 for a fitting kit! Are you sure?

Yes.
My first reply to your OP :doh:

It's not really just a fitting kit. It's a slightly different antenna that allows itself to be permanently fitted and the router is in a different case that allows permanent fixing.

The electronics inside are the same in both. In terms of functionality they are identical.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

As far as I can see, there are three products available from iBoost - which are:

= iBoost Pro D8 Directional System £159
- iBoost Omni-Directional System £199
- 2015 Fitted iBoost Omni-Directional £349

I think I have got the cheapest version.

Works well for me and has paid for itself many times over.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sorry.. its me causing the confusion..didn't look at the Web site and was going from memory... The two devices you are looking at are both omni directional... just one is a fitted price... I've had a look now...
Sorry for the confusion @NickNic
Ta Andy. .

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes.
My first reply to your OP :doh:.

OK - there's no need to get exasperated!

Can you not see that its a little hard to understand how a fitting kit can cost £150?

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Just get the iboost pro d8 £159 on the back of it, it has led's to show signal strength, comes with every thing needed to stick it on the outside or inside windows it has a more powerful range and you can pack it away. The £349 one are you going to drill a hole through your roof?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have the omni but used it as a fixed installation
I mounted the antenna to the top of the sat dish.. When the dish goes up it is usually the highest WiFi antenna on the site ( or at shows ! )
I have been told folk can 'see' Jaws WiFi' all over the showgrounds !

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have the £159 omi directional one. It works great with my iPad but with my windows 7 laptop it's a pain in the a. I have to go in and change its DNS settings to manual one to get the pop up screen to work for logon. If it broke would I buy another, probably not

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have the omni but used it as a fixed installation
I mounted the antenna to the top of the sat dish.. When the dish goes up it is usually the highest WiFi antenna on the site ( or at shows ! )
I have been told folk can 'see' Jaws WiFi' all over the showgrounds !

That's a great idea!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Don't forget to leave enough lead loose so the dish can swing through the full 360 rotation !

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Don't forget to leave enough lead loose so the dish can swing through the full 360 rotation !

Yes, will do. Did you drill a hole for the cable or trail it through a window? I feel a bit nervous about taking a drill to the MH.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I bought a proper entry box, drilled the hole in the roof ( it has to be quite big to get the plug end through ) passed the cable through the rubber gland and then sikaflex'd the box to the roof. I also added a bit of sikaflex to the actual rubber glad the cable went through to be 100% sure !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This is what I used:
Broken Link Removed