IAM? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Ok so I have just signed up for the Institute of Advanced Motoring motorcycle training and test...:Eeek:

Has anyone else done it? And if so what do you think?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I did the training & passed my test a few years ago :Smile:
You may be surprised at how much you learn and how quickly you are expected to ride safely :Eeek:
Good fun and well worth it in my opinion - I reckon I am a much safer driver because of it & that includes Bikes, Cars & Motorhome :Smile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I did the training & passed my test a few years ago :Smile:
You may be surprised at how much you learn and how quickly you are expected to ride safely :Eeek:
Good fun and well worth it in my opinion - I reckon I am a much safer driver because of it & that includes Bikes, Cars & Motorhome :Smile:
A long time ago, and I agree with all here.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It is well worth doing. For a spell before we moved home I was a volunteer observer, coaching people for the test.
Its not about fancy driving, its about making adequate progress, safely and being observant. You will be surprised after doing a course and passing the test how much you didn't see before you started driving to the system
Good Luck and enjoy

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I did mine in 1986..can't remember what the cost was..I am also a member of the IAM from 1983 as I qualified as a Driving Insructor in HM Forces as I was instructing on Basic car/Land Rover..HGV all classes as it was then..PSV..then in 1985 I did my Motorcycle Instructors course so then did the advanced in 86...I also did coaching for riders and helped a lot qualify...Nice feeling when someone passes...
I've also done the Police course at Hendon and the anti hi-jack driving course..the only thing I've never done but always wanted was to do the skid pan with a big London double decker..cor that would be class...Oh yes and I had 18 hours logged on helicopters too!!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
done it, got the Tshirt and made absolutely no difference to me...

I still rode like a prick...

with an place helmet on head, disengage brain catch me if you can attitude.

You can't teach a know it all nothing :youbetcha:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
IAM

Done it on a bike, best money I have ever spent.
It was one of my son's birthday presents when he was 25.

Gave up membership when they put the fee's up about 50% in one year.

The instructors/trainers are brilliant and worth every penny you spend whilst you are with them, their management are not on our world.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
No charge as I remember just have to belong to the IAm club best money and life saving training I've ever had and as a bonus you can ride like **** safely.............. road positioning...... observation go for it you will not be disappointed:thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I also have advanced motoring skills::bigsmile:

Completed mine about 15 years ago, but in a car not on a bike

Lesley

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I did the motorcycle advanced course and it made a huge difference to the way I handled the bike. My wife also noticed a considerable difference whilst riding pillion. It was the best investment in time the I spent whilst I had motorcycles but unfortunately still did not stop the short sighted octagenarian pulling out in front of me :Eeek:
We both ended up lying on the road, my wife nursing a broken rib and I had a big lump on the head but at least we survived. Could have been a lot worse but signalled the end of our biking days. :cry:

stagger01

Free Member
Jun 21, 2010
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I did the IAM course about 9 years ago, a pal who had done it kept trying to get me to do it but I was not that bothered (possibly not wanting to show myself up) but in the end I decided to go and go through the assessment ride and then politely decline to shut him up but to my surprise I enjoyed it, it made sense what they were saying and in my opinion made a significant difference to my riding and my safety. Do it.

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
joinin IAM

Afternoon all,It is the best thing you can do riding motorcycles,It gives you rider awarenss,Idid mine but carried on and became senior observer doin the mock tests ,best thing i ever did.It depends what area you are doing it.I was observing 1to1 using radio bike to bike.But some areas have 1 observer to 2 riders.Good luck and enjoy it.:thumb::Cool: THE BANDIT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back