I would Like to Fit Solar Panels?

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by Firehymer63, May 2, 2016.

1. Firehymer63

Firehymer63

Hi, I would like to fit solar panels to our Hymer B584(1999),
    She hasn't got any at the moment, I have read a lot about having to have special
    fittings for the hymer. So much to know. Any information gratefully recieved please?
    Whats needed and how to fit it?

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Optional.

You can use a standard panel and regulator direct to your leisure battery, as I have. It means you don't see the charge current on the Hymer meter but the system is much easier to understand and fault find. Fit a NSA BM1 which is so much better anyway if you want to watch the solar in action.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

From your other thread you also want roof rails and Kyaks? They're not going to mix well and probably take you over your weight limit. Have you considered that?

5. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Hi, your Hymer will have a Schaudt electroblok. This has the fuses, mains charger and split charging from engine. You need to know which one, its labeled on the front ( ebl99, or similar) . Info available from schaudt website in germany under downloads. Udo Lang is their tech man, he speaks english and is very helpful and responds to emails promptly. Google for his email.
    you then have choice of using their solar regulator , lr1218 ( i think). According which electrobloc you have this will probably be able to charge both starter and leisure battery via the electrobloc. Other solar regulators can be used but theirs is easy way out coming with ready made cables to plug into electrobloc.
    Solar panels, fixings to roof, glands and cabling are same as any other van, as techno said there are lots of threads to read.

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Just to add to what @SandraL said, you can also get the Schaudt LRM1218 solar regulator which is a newer MPPT type, which is more efficient at using the energy from the panels, especially on a dull day. But it is more than double the price.

7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

:welc:

8. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Hi @Firehymer63,
    I have been going through just that learning curve for the past few weeks, see http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/another-fitting-solar-panels-on-a-hymer-question.132559/
    As has been said it depends on just which EBL you have and which control panel. I have the EBL101 and the DT201B panel. The Schaudt LRM1218 MPPT regulator is obviously the simplest option but not the cheapest and has a limit on the size of panels. I have 3 x 100 watt panels so finally have opted to go with the Votronic MPP Duo Dig €175 from offgridtech in Germany so about twice the price of the one that Andy, @Techno uses and I used on my last van but it does have the advantage that it will talk to the Schaudt regulator so it does not get confused by the state of charge of the batteries which is a possibility if you go down the direct to battery route. And it will switch the fridge to solar if you have excess power and the +S connection on the AES fridge (or want to do a bit of electronics to use the +D terminal).
    I am just waiting for the plugs I need to connect up so hopefully will have a result within the next week.
    Although we are about to be invaded by visitors so may get delayed. The problem with living in the South of France.
    Good luck...
    Steve...

9. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Just in the process of putting a new one on my B584 now, will post pics n stuff soon(y)

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have a Hymer with the older EBL 99 , also have 2 x 80 watt solar panels..

they have a standard solar regulator that is wired to the Elektroblok .. so it 'knows' what charge they are providing and meters accordingly .. wiring directly to the battery can confuse the EBL regulator.

to charge the engine battery I have a battery master..

If you want pictures of the connections I can provide

see drawing ..
    1. 7 Connections for solar charge regulator

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

as promised..

Just notice thread date 16 May 2016 OP not been back.. doh

no worries.. may help others

IMG_0324.jpg