I will be a newbie when I find a van! (1 Viewer)

Coopersale

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Coopersale Essex
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi all
Looks a busy forum, I'm currently searching for a van, we'd made our minds up on the Swift 680FB, or one of the several names it appears as.
Then last night the spanner was thrown in the works by being offered a Autotrail 840D Cheyenne se, tag axle. (At trade money)
Now I know this is big but at the price I'm sure we could get the money back next year if we wanted to downsize.
A quick check on ferry costs looks ok but French tolls look crippling.

Richard

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
:hiya2:

You can generally avoid toll roads in France as long as you're not in a desperate hurry to get somewhere. I'd suggest investing in a motorhome specific sat nav to help you avoid really narrow routes.
Exciting times ahead, choosing your motorhome then setting off....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Welcome..
One of the hardest things to get right is the layout, I think many of us have bought vans as newbies and then only after use have decided we needed a different type of layout.
Question.. Will you ever want or need to carry passengers ? I notice both vans you mention, although big vans will only have 2 belted / travelling seats. No rear belts so no passengers..

Whatever you buy, consider an independent check, especially for damp..

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Only ever used tolls twice by choice and a couple of times by accident.

Wyn

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I could ask "why is the Autotrail trade money"? is it from a dealer or private? does somebody "want rid" don't let your excitement rule your head and as others say "get it checked over"

And welcome BTW.

Martin

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The van is a bit bigger so probably wise to stay away from DFDS on the ferries. Chunnel would be a better option. As for Tolls, dont use them unless going through Swtizerland where you can get it cheaper. There are plenty routes to different parts of the South of France without the need to go on the tolls which might cost you a £100 to save you a couple of hours (or something similar0
As per the previous advice, depends what trade price is and from who it is that has told you. Get the van checked.

And welcome

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hello, and Welcome. Good Luck with the Moho search. I agree about tolls in France. We used them quite a lot in our "car" days, as we were usually rushing to reach a gite or hotel before dark...Moho travel is more leisurely, as you have so many more options of places to stay. The scenic routes are certainly scenic.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Richard,and welcome. Forget about the motorhome makes, names and number of axles and concentrate on the layout within. There will be a layout that suits your needs perfectly, except people rarely get it right first time and they lose money when changing to put it right. Best of luck. You really should have a read of this The Definitive Guide to Buying the Right Motorhome at the Best Price Subscribers can download The Motorhome Buyers Guide for Free (y)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all
Looks a busy forum, I'm currently searching for a van, we'd made our minds up on the Swift 680FB, or one of the several names it appears as.
Then last night the spanner was thrown in the works by being offered a Autotrail 840D Cheyenne se, tag axle. (At trade money)
Now I know this is big but at the price I'm sure we could get the money back next year if we wanted to downsize.
A quick check on ferry costs looks ok but French tolls look crippling.
Richard

We have a Tag axle Motorhome, and at tolls if it says higher
than a class 2 we just press the button and say `Un camping car silvu playe`(spelling). And they have always dropped it to class 2!:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back