May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
nikon the best camera but the 300mm lens would be a must for me
if your existing cannon lens will work ok on the cannon then whatever combination works out the cheapest as cannon make good lenses as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
i would go to a good camera shop and try them all to see which one feels the best in your hand try them with each lens on for balance and weight

i have a canon 550d and i am very happy with it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a canon 50d and it's fab. Prior to that I had a 500d I think it was a 500) and it was great but a bit heavy. The 550d is a great camera and is lighter I think. My brother in law has one.

I don't agree that the nikon is the best camera but I am biased.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
What are you looking to use the camera for?

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Nige
It would be the Canon for me also as it seems to specify more of what you need, always dubious of those "get money back" as i have found them to be discontinued lines.

But for your need of a fast shutter?, movement on the water and glare etc the Canon has more going for it...
But do scout about but have found that the photos you take already when out and about superb do you really need another camera IMHO ?

Kath

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Can't advise on which would be best for you as I don't know what type of photography you do but I would. Advise to search the web for best price on whichever you do choose then print out the page of the best deal. Take this page to your local Jessops shop and ask how close they can get. I did exactly this when I bought my Sony DSLR and they got within 10 quid of best web deal I could find then gave me a 30 quid camera bag on top.

D.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Look into the branding. I seem to remember that many branded names are actually Samsung - can't remeber if it is either Pentax & Canon, or Pentax & Olympus. (Won't take long if you do a little research on some photographers forums)

Either way, the lenses under Samsung are interchangable, and alot cheaper. Many pros use thew Samsung lenses and save a few hundred.:thumb:

OP
OP
highwayman

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi folks
Thanks for the answers, the camera will be used for wildlife and action shots.
The wildlife will be at distance as well as close-up, the action will mostly be at sea but also at rallycross.
I currently use a samsung compact but need a longer lens and faster response.
I also have always wanted a really nice camera!!

Cheers......nige

pelliott1954

Free Member
Sep 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi Nige,

It rather depends on how serious you are and how deep your pockets are!!

The best camera to use for wildlife and action shots is by far the Canon 7D but it's not cheap at around £1200, then of course you will need a good lens or lenses to make the most of it. The Canon L Lenses are the ones to go for, they really are superb. For wildlife you will need an absolute minimum of 300mm focal length, but preferably more, however the price goes up accordingly.

I have the Canon 50D and use a 100mm-400mm Zoom lens and do a lot of aviation photography.

I would suggest lots of research before you do anything, I have consistently found that Warehouse Express are by far the best on line dealers, lots of serious photographers use them, I would also strongly advise you to have a look at the EOS Forum,it is specifically for Canon EOS Camera users and is a great Forum, full of information and help, you will see many examples of peoples pictures, along often with all the info on what they were shot with, that will show you very good examples of what the 7D can produce. Just put EOS Forum into Google and it will go straight to it, it is run by the EOS Magazine

Hope that helps, just remember.......Don't rush in!!!!

Regards Paul

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
One of my friends has just got the 7d and is mightily impressed. As above, it has to feel right.

I use a micro 4/3rds system - Panasonic GF2 which is fantastic (for what I want) but absolutely hated the Olympus equivalent, which just didn't feel right.

Take your time, there will always be another deal coming along, and you'll have the camera for a long time.......... I purchased by phone from SRS microsystems in Watford as they were well priced and have a good reputation for customer service. Hope that helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back