I want some advice for a change - France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slobadoberbob, Feb 10, 2011.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Normally we are on a site over Easter when in France. This year we are on the move on the Good Friday rolling northwards from the South of France... we can use motorways but prefer not to.. will we find the country closed on the Friday? I know Sunday is close and a lot of places on the Monday.. but it is the Friday I need to know about and Saturday to some degree.. I may push through two drivers Friday lunch time through night up to our last period of stopping north of Rouen ..

So what do we know?

Bob:Wink:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry Bob, can't recall what was open on Easter Friday .. but I would think most village/town shops and garages will be closed.

French Public Holidays at Easter

Friday 22 April - Easter Friday Pâques).
    Sunday 24 April - Easter Sunday(Pâques).
    Monday 25 April - Easter Monday (Lundi de Pâques).

hopefully Frankie will give some definitive information

3. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Bob !

As i told you in a PM (i suppose you still didn't read it) i want to check first the area before giving you an answer BUT on fridays , no reason why it would be shut in most normal towns. Of course there are always owners of little specific shops who prefer to close and go on hols. And on Sunday (lundi de Pâques) it will be shut everywhere except "boulangeries" and "chocolatiers" which are the ones that work most on Easter holidays.

Easter is not tomorrow so , if you give me a bit of time i will give you a proper answer:Wink:.

Amicalement

Frankie:BigGrin::BigGrin:

4. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

I want some advice for a change - France

The only advice I'd give to anyone in France is to avoid Tunbridge Wells on your return to GB.

I have this on excellent authority.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You tell him Frankie.

He's only English after all.

6. yodeli

http://magasin.lol.net/magasin-ikea-rouen.htm

Well bob can't do much better as it is far too soon to ask for that ; Most of the shops's directors didn't choose yet if they open or not (or don't want to say it). So here is a link with the major shops of Rouen , you just click on the logo of the shop you want and it will tell you a few days before Easter if opened or not. You can as well type the name of it (like carrefour for instance) in the search bar on the right of the page.

Hope it helps

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Edit: Well i gave you the link once i tried it with IKEA that's why it gives you all the details about Ikea. Forgot to come back to the original page....sorry!

7. yodeli

8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Bob I am not sure what you are asking.......we live in France....our calender is French and it gives the bank holidays....Sunday will be as normal...it says Easter MONDAY is a bank holiday....which means only shops should be shut....I would think all the rest will be open Friday and Saturday as normal.

Mel:Eeek:

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

What is normal in France Mel. :Smile: It always seems closed what ever day it is...................:Wink: That is why we love it. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: We never use auto routes and go at a steady pace, as we want to see everything we can, and always find fresh bread every day, no matter what day it is. :thumb: Bob.

10. slobadoberbob

Could not have said it better myself

Now I could not have saidthat better myself.. Must have heard it from an expert:Blush::Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

11. slobadoberbob

A long distance to cover in a shortish time

We love to take the back routes also.. But this return trip unfortunately means heading North on Easter Friday.. Being a petrol engined Yank .. V10 6.8 ltr fuel is the driving force. We often travel down through the night and find most fuel stations closed except for the French credit card type machines.. No use to us... It is sometimes a case of ducking on and off motorways to take fuel on...

No steady pace for us on the way back, just rotate drivers... Want to send as long as possible in the South.... Daughter and kids also have to get back for school, we have the usual vets to do fr Ezzie on the Tuesday after Easter and the 24/48 hold northbof Amiens then timed channel tunnel back..we get Easter on a site already booked in the North.
    Bob:Eeek:

12. bobandjanie

Hi Bob, we always use the credit card to fill up no problem. :BigGrin: Only once did it not except our card, and a Frenchman said give him the cash and use his card but it was the machine in the end, and we followed him to another garage and got some.:Smile: Bob.

13. sedge

sedge Funster

We were in Fecamp last Easter and everywhere was open Fri, Sat & Sun, everywhere closed on the Mon.

We rushed round to ensure we got bread and veg etc on the Thursday and didn't need to at all! Then of course we needed to restock by Monday .......

14. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Slobbo: "Must have heard it from an expert"

as in 'Ex' = a has been, and
    'Spurt' = a drip under pressure.

Hmm, thanks, Bob.

15. slobadoberbob

More info please

Was it a bog standard visa or master card credit card? Or a visa debt card?

If we were able to use the automated machines that would mean we could travel the normal routes to avoid the toll routes.. Any chain or just certain ones?

Any info appreciated

Bob:thumb:

16. slobadoberbob

Now that may sum me up

Well that may well sum me up..:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:Eek!:

17. bobandjanie

Hi Bob, we use the Nationwide Classic Credit Card while overseas, and no problem.:BigGrin: Bob.

18. sedge

sedge Funster

We actually got one to work a petrol pump last year, for the very first time ever! It was a pump belonging to a supermarket in the back of beyond somewhere .... Super U possibly, dunno.

Would either have been an 'Egg' card or our normal Lloyds TSB Debit card, dunno which.

19. bobandjanie

We have also used other visa cards over the years, no problem.:BigGrin: Edeka Garages and I think stores only take their own credit cards, but all the others are fine. :Smile: Bob.

20. trophychap

trophychap Funster

The petrol station Jenny refered to was actually carrefour it was just a pump in the centre of the village not at the store. Works just like the pumps at Tesco (for example) Insert card enter your details then remove your card and pump will give you upto 99 euro's of fuel.

Hope that it will work for you.

Pete