Joe

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi everyone, I am looking forward to asking questions and reading answers as I am a complete newbie having never used a motorhome or 5 wheeler. And there lies my problem, which to go for. She says motorhome and I say 5 wheel. And so starts my quest, visiting shows, sitting in the vehicles and debating the pros and cons. We will see what transpires and hopefully we will make the correct decision. Thanks, Joe.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Stop thinking about WHAT you want and start thinking about WHERE you want to visit!

A fifth wheel will mean limited access to sites or areas being out of bounds due to size. All can be overcome, but with planning.

A motorhome will have better access to sites down lanes etc, and you can tow a small economic 'toad' behind for popping off should you wish to visit the small villages or cities of an area without taking the motorhome.

If being away for long preiods, then the 5th wheel will offer much more space.

So think about where you want to go...when you first thought to yourself 'lets get a motorhome/camping vehicle' where was in your mind???

Be it Europe, Scotland, Cornwall, Lakes or Wales - have a look into those areas, and think about what would be easier for you to use.

Choosing the right vehicle, and the right lay-out is all about compromise - the perfect one never exists ( or not for long)...you may as well start now and think smart!

Where do you want to visit and stay??? Big commercial sites? Little Rustic sites? Sites by a lake or waterfront? Think about how these areas are accessed and go from there!

OP
OP
J

Joe

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you for your advise Rainbow Chaser. My only experience has been staying on French holiday campsites and this would be our starting point for exploring the continent. We would then have to think about staying on aires etc. Towing a "toad" is something we have considered but I am confused how to tow it abroad. I know if you put it on a trailer then there is no confusion but then that adds to the extra length and you are not far from a 5 wheeler. As you say or as a joiner once said, measure twice cut once.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Welcome Joe

Very sound advice from rainbow chasers, Have often thought would like 5th wheeler but the way we use our van a no no

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Motorhome Fun:welcomefunster:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
hi and welcome to fun

some good advice by rainbowchasers, think about how and when you would use your holiday home on wheels, and how many of you would be likely to travel in it. Take your time and view as many different models/layouts as you can. As stated with a 5ver not all sites welcome you even when its not one of the big ones,
If you are still working a motorhome might be right for you if you can park at home or storage very near home because then its a case of jump in and go for a weekend if the weather is nice, with a 5ver a little more planning is needed and you also need to be able to reverse the trailer pretty good as most sites you would need to reverse onto the pitch sometimes its awkward with trees and bushes just where you dont want them on the narrow campsite roads when you are trying to get on pitch.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hire one first if your not sure

Very good advise :thumb:How many people ? if only 2 then look at sub 20 ft m/h that way you can get anywhere without needing toad.In my mind if you tow a toad you may as well have a caravan / 5th wheel :ROFLMAO: Different if living in one then space is needed:thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
having a 5th wheel will mean 4 axles on the road.....wait until you get to the French, or even English, toll roads, you will possibly end up paying the same toll as a 40ft artic :Eeek:

Humber bridge toll...........

motorhome (2 axle)= £2.70

motorhome
(3 axle) =£13.00

car and caravan = £13.00

Ooops :Blush: ...just shot down my argument about the bridge toll.....all motorhomes £2.70
over 3500kg and under 7500kg with trailer = £4.90

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Joe.
Yes some very good advice from Rainbow Chaser. You mention using Aires in France, thats fine with a motorhome, but you would not be able to take advantage of those in a caravan or 5th wheeler.
Geoff.

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
If you get a 5th wheel the big difference is they don't bend in the middle, where as a MH & toad kinda does. If you are a competent driver, I wouldn't let that put you off, but I would think there are more situations where a MH would be easier to live with.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We use our motorhome for days out quite often. It makes a great base for returning to after a long walk or cycle ride and you can even get a shower if you're cold and wet. You would probably think twice about taking a 5er out for the day... and parking it could also be an issue.
If you are fit enough to cycle or use an electric bike think about using these instead of a toad. Cheaper and you could get fitter :winky:
Enjoy the process of deciding - it's all part of the fun.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Free Member
Sep 26, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I would like to thank you all for your advise. We will certainly not rush in to buying without giving it a lot of thought. :thanks:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hey Joe... welcome to the Fun... Enjoy...

In my limited experience of these matters I don't understand your dilemma...

She wants a motorhome, you want a 5th wheeler...

Get a motorhome... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back