I think we have found our Van

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Luvin156, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Hi there

We are going to have a look at a Swift Lifestyle 590rs 2007 face lift on Monday and we are pretty sure that its the one :)

Just wondering what past and present owners of swifts think and any advise or key areas to have a look at when viewing?

We are quite lucky as the van still has 18 months Marquis warrantee left to run and apparently it is transferable.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

look for damp.. Swift have a poor reputation..

take a damp meter and go all over it ..inside cupboards, lockers etc ..at all panel joints, around window frames, around roof lights, locker and hab doors ..

damp is a killer.. and can be costly to repair.. any signs just walk away .. plenty of choices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Swifts are the butt of many jokes on here, but they are really nice motorhomes, we have a 630L! But there is a caveat to that statement! :D
    I think I am correct in saying that the Lifestyle is a dealer special version of the Sundance, so I can help you lots :D
    Like all motorhomes, you need to check for damp, Swift have a reputation for leaking, which I think is unfair, statistically they are no more likely to leak than any other van. You should be able to smell damp before you see it.
    Like all vehicles, make sure you drive it, in particular, try to find an area where you able to reverse uphill. The Ducato was plagued by 'judder gate' make sure it reverses smoothly. Also, the synchro can be a bit weak, check the gear changes are smooth.
    Having taken most of our wiring apart to fit various gadgets, I can confirm that the wiring looks like they employ 5 year olds at the Swift factory, check that all appliances work in all modes, so fridge on gas/12v and 240v, TV if fitted, and hob. The heating needs to be tested in all modes.
    Originally the gas regulator will have been a Truma unit, which often failed, this was one that you had to hold a button for 20 seconds to get it to work. Mostly these have been replaced now, so check that.
    Don't bother checking the water meters, I can tell you right now, they don't work! :D
    Try to find out how old the leisure batteries are, and also, find out where they are located!
    Check that all storage units open and close correctly, and also, the finishers of the panels often fall off. Easy to fix, but a good bargaining tool! :D
    Finally, get under the van and look at the floor from underneath, look for obvious repairs.
    And finally, anything that is non standard, find out who fitted it, and whether it works! :D
    Enjoy your purchase! :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. davejen

davejen Funster

Make sure the floor is not "SPONGY", if so probably has de-laminated, walk away.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Apart from all that:eek: good luck:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Thanks for this

I didn't realise they were made fun of, they seem to be a very popular brand.

I'm taking a damp meter with me and I'm going to go through it very well. He people who are selling it have kept up to date with the habitation certs and servicing to keep the marquis warranty going, that I have looked into and seems very good. So hopefully all will be well.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

by the time you can smell damp it is well established.. only a damp meter can alert to early signs of ingress..

Yes, all vans can develop leaks, but the real problem is the damage it can cause.. or not..

for example a Hymer, with PUAL construction there is no structural timber to rot.. so a leak will not cause catastrophic damage.. when discovered it can be repaired.. if the same leak develops on a timer frame van the rot can destroy a wall before it is found..

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Oh yes, it stems back to a catastrophically badly made model - the Kon-Tiki, there were so many design flaws that it became known as the Kon-Leaky. Fortunately those days are long gone, but the stigma remains. And we all like a little giggle on here about various makes of Motorhome! You'll pick that up as you go along! :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

I've now been researching a bit deeper into swift and the automarq warranty and i don't think i should be buying a swift as there isn't a lot of actual good reviews about either :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

i really am getting frustrated now with motorhome buying as i have been let down left right and centre with dealers, travelling hours only to reach the dealers and the van not being as described etc.:mad:

i thought finding one was supposed to be half the fun.

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Don't be despondent the fact that you have found out all this information now and the knowledge you are getting hopefully will mean when you find what you want it will be a good one with no issues and not end up costing extra money because it had not been researched properly, You will find the right one for you. (y)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

and the money saving idea of using non waterproof ply in the floors in 2004. must of cost swift millions in warranty repairs. even now they dont water seal around the rear wheel arches so the rot starts the first time they are driven on the road

I am certainly not laughing at swift, as a previous owner of a brand new one delivered with multiple faults, I would not recommend them or marquis to anyone

• Like Like x 2
  13. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I've got a 2004 Ace (Swift brand) and it's been excellent for the price...
    ...and yes, it did have damp but because it was bought from a good dealership, they accepted responsibility & sorted it (y)

But even if they hadn't & I had to pay then I'd still be happy with it

Many on here will point you in the direction of continental models, especially German, especially Hymer... and they can be good but at a premium price.

Buying a 'quality' brand is no guarantee - just ask Hagnap (see his thread on his delaminating Rapido)

Swift sell a lot of vans - they wouldn't if they were all bad. They're a mid price.

If it is from a dealer, get them to do a damp check, if private get the seller to have a damp check done.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

Its a private seller they have had the habitation checks done since they brought it from Marquis and still have 18 months to run on the warranty so hopefully any damp would have been picked up.

Who was the dealer you purchased your ace from?

15. Langtoftlad

CamperUK - and they accepted they should have picked the damp in their pre-sales checks.

Don't assume Hab checks include a comprehensive damp check unless there's a written report.

After many months absorbing the expertise & opinions from this site I came to the conclusion that second only to layout was dealership. More important than brand, model or style.

All MH's can have issues, even from new so having the faith that the dealer will fix things is paramount.

So I'd personally be more concerned that the dealership was Marquis rather than the brand was Swift.

First question is the warranty transferable, and is it worth the paper its written on.

Would the seller tolerate the vehicle having an independent hab check, will cost you a couple of hundred but could be worth your peace of mind.

Easy to say, but my big tip is not to spend up to your budget. Have buffer for those expensive & inevitable mechanical, habitation or wear & tear bills.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yeah, you see that's where we went wrong! We had a budget of £20k, we spent £31k and then took it to VanBitz and spent a further £5k! :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Langtoftlad

Indeed, very easy to be seduced by the shiny & the bling :LOL:.

In my own case, the van is older than I'd anticipated but it's a commercial vehicle so actually barely run in. It's a bit rundown & tatty cosmetically & everything is manual not automatic - but it has pretty much everything any other van has... And it all works (y).

(But yes, I succumbed to accessorizing it - gaslow, and cruise control to mention just two)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

@eddievanbitz has way too much shiney & bling in his shop! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

We bought a swift escape new, no known damp problems when sold a t6 years old, full service and habitation history went with it. Had a problem with fridge not lighting on gas after about 4 years, adjusted and was fine afterwards. Only changed to get a van with a garage.
    Friends with a lifestyle 696, now just over a year old have had quite a few problems, niggly things like interior trim coming off, have not found Marquis too good on the after sales.
    Would I buy nother swift? yes, used to avoid the VAT, and well checked before purchase. Remember you only hear from the unhappy owners, rarely the pleased ones.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Luvin156

Luvin156 Funster

I know i suppose that i wouldn't buy any van, but its hard to know whats best.

Im going to have to travel 4 hours to go and see this van so maybe its too far to be disappointed yet again.