I think I have the only 508D in NYC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by only508dinnyc, Oct 23, 2013.

1. only508dinnyc

only508dinnyc Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I imported one of the 508D military ambulances that L.Jackson Ex Nato was selling to New York City where I live.
    I've had it since April and has thus far been everything I expected and more.
    Also not as slow as I thought it would be.
    Anyway with winter approaching I'm a little concerned about the lack of glow plugs even though I've read on this forum that if my batteries are in good shape
    with the direct injection it shouldnt be a problem.
    I know my 85 mercedes 300 with glow plugs can be hard to start if it gets much
    below 20F without block heater plugged in overnight.
    Is it advisable to cut my fuel with kerosene in the cold months for a little extra cold starting insurance and if so what is a good ratio?
    Thank you
    Sam
    NYC

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    I haven't a clue what your talking about I'm afraid. :Doh:
    But I'm up , on the forum, and thought I'd welcome you anyway:Rofl1:
    I'm sure all the knowledgable folk will be along shortly. Good luck.
    Bev

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. If its really cold I do cut with petrol/gasolene at around 5 litres in a 125 litre tank in my Mercedes 410 with the OM 602 engine. I do run 100% bio without tank heating so the the petrol does help in winter. As long as the batteries are good you should have no problems with starting, just keep winding away and she will eventually fire. Make sure you are well ventilated though :Rofl1:/
    By the way, a good choice of vehicle, are you converting it to a camper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi Sam,welcome from up here,it looks like you've made a good choice by having a vintage merc :thumb: bullet proof,and good for a million miles if looked after and good for many years ,we have a 30year model and very strong our's as covered 375000km ,for up here in the winter we have a engine heater,as the derv is good quality up here i dont need any additives and starts with no problem at -25/30 but as snowbird say's make sure you have plenty of ventilation when starting in cold weather's,cheers Alf:thumb:

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Our old 608, same as 508 - OM314 engine - with over 700.000 on the clock, always started on the first press of the button even after being parked up in the snow & ice in the open for weeks. So fear not, with normal pump fuel you'll always start fine... :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the fun. My old 1958 508d was never a trouble to start but we do not suffer the extra low temperatures you guys do. I do have a fuel heater block with two heater plugs in it the heats the fuel going into the filter and then into the injector pump, it was used when I was running Straight Vegetable oil in the engine. Not sure what it would cost to post but am sure you could get something made up to suit. Am looking for £50 by the way and it has all pipes and switches to wire straight in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Wow! What a wonderfully international thread. Perhaps we could become Motorhome Fun International. :BigGrin:

Wyn

• Like Like x 4
  8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

9. YankeeCamper

YankeeCamper Read Only Funster

Seen your 508D!!!

Hi Sam,

I've seen your 508D parked behind the Bloomingdales in Soho on occasion. I'm interested in a similar vehicle for NYC. May I ask you how you dealt with registering your vehicle in NY State as well as auto insurance?

Regards,
    Vincent

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

MFI Dont think it'll catch on do you:Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  11. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

sofa so good

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi YankeeCamper and welcome :thumb: I am not sure but the original poster only came on the once so I don't think you will get a reply from them about importing /tax etc (try rt clicking on there name and see if you can send a PM -personal message) - someone else may be able to advise :Wink: but usually it's the other way round question of importing from USA to UK --you only have limited time and free massages before you either subscribe or become a read only member :Smile:
    terry