LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well, my boiler wont work, no not Nikki the one in the van and TBH I think I'm going to knock motorhoming on the head.
I have had 12 great years taking my kids all over europe but they have now grown up.
The thing is I get pissed off with the industry as a whole, lets take this boiler for example.

I got a nice van, I worked my way up to it working harder each time and now here it is. It's a Rapido and I paid alot of money for it. It's not anti rapido because in essence it's a nice van, and you can hardly blame our French cousins for the Truma part breaking, or can you?

So I've tested all the blink codes, I've almost killed mesen trying to fix it. It indicates one of 5 things could be wrong, yep one of 5. I have tested 2 of them which involved me nipping round and testing the control switches on my mates van. But now we are at the PCB or motor faze, great, except in order to even get close to it I have to dismantle the kitchen, not a bit of the kitchen but the whole thing. And then? no I have to remove the boiler to be able to get to the bits that may or may not need replacing. So in order to get the boiler out I am faced with cables, pipes, gas pipes etc etc. In fact I might add that I actually think they put the boiler in then built around the poxy thing.

so a phone call to trauma and they tell me to read the blink codes which I do and they say, great it's one of 5 things. Ok so do I order all 5 or 1 at a time, well, If I order 1 at a time and say change the PCB board, I have to then put the boiler back in the van before I can actually test to see if problem is resolved? If it's not? yep bring the boiler out again and try item number 2. To be quite honest I can barely carry on but I know you lot like a good woe so I will.

So lets say I get the PCB out and then ask for a replacement, will Truma do it? no, course they wont I have to go to my "local dealer" to buy the thing as they won't deal with me as I am just "joe Public". However having used my wit and charm I managed to work out the cost to me of the part which is about £300, but if I buy it from a dealer, it's now £425 and then of course remember if it's not the broken part I wont be able to take it back but just move on to the next part..

So enough is enough, the industry is destroying me at the moment, I'm selling up and buying a static in Toxteth Liverpool as it seems a better place right now.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is there not a way to take it out and bench test it Paul?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh dear, this is not good. I can understand how you feel but don't give up. Run a fix-it meet and invite all the clever fix-it types off the forum, you know they will be competing like crazy to be the one that fixes it.:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Colin has asked what is the boiler not doing, not working on gas or leccy or both?

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Is there not a way to take it out and bench test it Paul?

I don't have the facilities to do this, although Motorhome dealers do, but this will work out in the 100s to get done... then they will know that I have 1 of 5 problems and start the same thing I can do myself.

Oh dear, this is not good. I can understand how you feel but don't give up. Run a fix-it meet and invite all the clever fix-it types off the forum, you know they will be competing like crazy to be the one that fixes it.:D2
it's not the fixing, it's the parts, on this occassion, sending Colin for a fuse aint going to sort this one hun

Add the cost of the 5 items that may cure your problem

If all five come close to a new boiler then fit a new one
Sell the old one or use it as spares

yep, possibility, but the boiler is nearly 2000 pounds, I have had the van 2 years, out of Warranty, and then of course there's the fitting involed.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I don't have the facilities to do this, although Motorhome dealers do, but this will work out in the 100s to get done... then they will know that I have 1 of 5 problems and start the same thing I can do myself.

it's not the fixing, it's the parts, on this occassion, sending Colin for a fuse aint going to sort this one hun

yep, possibility, but the boiler is nearly 2000 pounds, I have had the van 2 years, out of Warranty, and then of course there's the fitting involed.
Kin 'ell. I just had a 90 litre boiler fitted in our villa. €100 + €30 to fit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You're not one yer own Paul.
Just spent two hours trying to get the Truma motor mover working on our caravan.
Had to resort to Google and turns out I 'forgot' to plug in the safety device.
Such a rigmarole anyway, why fit a f'kin safety over-ride....you only activate the bloody mover if you're going to use it Oh Please! !!!
Anyway, I only needed to move it for the new owner to hitch up tomorrow.

Yep, we've quit, given up, packed it in.
I know we'll buy something in the future but at the moment we've just had enough.

But......you don't get rid of me that easy, I'm not quoting the forum.
It's been my passion for the last ten years and will remain so for a few years yet...it's like Facebook without the dross and wasters.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Contact trauma and see if they will refurbish
:pray:
You could try a local plumbing shop see if they can obtain spares

You may need part nos and serial no though

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Can't like this post Paul, it's just wrong when you pay good money and they go wrong, hope you get it sorted, Don't know what Tara & Betty Bear would say about not having their Wheely House. :crying:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi Paul

Sorry you've got problems with your boiler but is it really going to spoil things?

Sometimes I think that we expect too much from motorhoming - all the comforts of home

I tested my boiler in my MH, then never used it, same with the fridge - manage without it - don't have to 'worry' about the van being level.

My van is for camping....... a different world from 'home'............

Shelter, food and a toilet is enough...........(y)(y)

............and a supply of deodorant................

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Know what you mean about them building the van around the boiler Paul. Cliff had to fix something on ours and it was an absolute swine to get to - they MUST have fitted the boiler first and then built the cupboard around it - let's just say there was a bent coat hanger, mirrors and tools attached to bendy wires to fix it - not to mention the language which was blue - the boiler was definitely of doubtful parentage!

Dont have any solutions but really wouldn't want you (and the lovely Nikki of course) to disappear. xx

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Had great deal of problems with our Trauma yes Trauma Combi 6E a good few years back. Truma were not bothered as it was out of warranty, told to go to a local caravan dealer, its a motorhome, same thing says they. Got a code reader and went through all the checks, bought new parts still not deal. Tried Truma again, ah says they its a motorhome specific fault try motorhome dealers in your area (they did supply me with a few). Cut long story short in the end, all in it cost me just about £850 for parts and then 2 different dealers costs and in the end it was still not working correctly.
Eventually decided enough was enough and purchased a Truma 4 (very very rarely use sites and electric anyway).
A costly end but had we have done that originally it would have saved us over £800.
Incidentally it was a 2008 MH and the problems started late 2011.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
@haganap have you thought of buying a second hand unit from a caravan breakers and using it as a parts store. find which part was broken and order a new one. once fixed sell the spare unit on

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Right now can see how you are feeling Paul :( it's been one thing and another with this van for you & Nikky :( you worked so hard on the other van and perfected it for your needs . Thought that was bril how you did that . Please don't loose heart yes enough is enough and can see it's grinding you down Paul it would with anyone of us on here :( never really know the right things to say at times like

Can't like this post Paul, it's just wrong when you pay good money and they go wrong, hope you get it sorted, Don't know what Tara & Betty Bear would say about not having their Wheely House. :crying:

Think Carol says best what I'm trying to say Paul x
Kate x

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
So enough is enough, the industry is destroying me at the moment, I'm selling up and buying a static in Toxteth Liverpool as it seems a better place right now.

Are you sure that's the best place for a static, I heard that most things not bolted down can move quite quickly from Toxteth,lol

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Are you sure that's the best place for a static, I heard that most things not bolted down can move quite quickly from Toxteth,lol
It should be okay there then, as its a STATIC he's buying!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul my mates a Truma service engineer / parts at cost/ there is a known fault with the ribbons / connection s and it could be that ..try your mates control switches... Mate says you can test boiler on bench.
If you book in with Truma at Derby they have everything on hand to test swap out find offending part ..they only charge about 50 quid an hour and usually fix things in a hour,plus you get parts very cheap...ask them to look at it and not one of there service agents ;)(y) you may have to wait a couple of weeks to get in with them but well worth wait/money
Edit they only charge for the faulty part
Terry

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I fully understand your frustration and dissapointment. And it is no answer, in my view, to say forget the boiler, treat your van as a tent etc. Motorhomes cost more than some people's homes. My van cost 38k second hand some 6 x more than my first home (in 1976). The van should do what it was bought for. The industry rips us off generally. By this I don't mean the after sales businesses, that for example fit gas bottles, alarms etc- they are generally very reasonable and mostly very knowledgable.
Don't get me going on warranties!
I hope that you get technical advice here or from contacts, that get you sorted, at a reasonable price and allow you to resume your motor homing life.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Paul,
Book it in at Truma, they were great when I took mine in, they have all the parts at hand.
My fault could have been one of 3 things,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@haganap i don't know where you are but often see reference to Stoke, if you are there , is only just off the a50 at fosten near the jcb engine factory.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
A static? Yeah right !!! After 2 runs around it you'll get fed up .... You go to France and other countries to RUN, and you would stay in a static... AHAHAH:rolleyes:

Come on Paul, who on earth told you, you would have no problem with your static?

I'm sure you'll get sorted with your nice van, and be able to still go to the Alpes for some nice skying time with your lovely wife and your 2 bears!
How on earth would you cope without a van...??:whistle:;):LOL:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It was just a big Caravan till the wheels were nicked, NOW its a static:doh:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Don't forget fit for purpose. I would say a boiler should last a lot longer than a couple of years and just because the manufacturer says the warranty is 2 years doesn't necessarily mean it's two years.
Judgements have been made in favour to the purchaser if it's deemed the item should last longer.
Might be worth investigating :)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I have to dismantle the kitchen, not a bit of the kitchen but the whole thing. And then? no I have to remove the boiler to be able to get to the bits that may or may not need replacing. So in order to get the boiler out I am faced with cables, pipes, gas pipes etc etc. In fact I might add that I actually think they put the boiler in then built around the poxy thing.

I wouldn't get too down hearted.
I remember reading a thread from @dave newell lvs how it took him 2.5hrs of blood and toil to get to a truma boiler, even having to remove the fridge! and he is an expert.(y)

Whatever you decide, you will still have to get it fixed, even if you sell it on;)

Picture below
20160628_164439-jpg.112842

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
If it helps, my mate just had a similar predicament as you with his PVC. To cut a long story short, Truma do a 5 day return & repair service. We were going to take the boiler out of the van ourselves but didnt really have time, so got the local service/repair place do it & send it off.
In the end it took 6 working days and £400 in total...

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
When my boiker stopped, dealer suggested Truma. Booked in, took them minutes to diagnose, dealer had been on for ages. A wire was damaged, replaced and sent me on my way. No charge despite being 4 yr old.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
About 18 months ago we were having problems with the Truma combi boiler . I contacted a "registered " mobile engineer who duly appeared at our storage facility. He then proceeded to almost rip out the boilers main PCB and stated that was the problem.This without any unit light code checking on his part . Plus his level of care within our motorhome was nothing short of being a damned disgrace.

Dont wish to go in to any more details about that "registered" mobile engineer here , but suffice to say , we contacted his “governing body” and were treated to a litany of complete bulls**t . Full of disbelief at the attitude and incompetence of one of their ”paid up” and apparently well respected members. Nothing offered or done to help us though .So much for that trade organisation assistance then.

We then contacted Truma at their Burton on Trent facility, arranging for the vehicle to be booked in to their workshop . Van about 7 years old at that time , so well out of warranty for everything in and on it.

On arrival at Truma we were met by a technician who did actually listen to our explanation of the problems with the boiler. We were then taken to their staff restaurant and a meal was arranged for us. In the meantime , the faulty boiler was removed in its entirety and placed on the test bench in a workshop which would put your average lab to shame.

Less than an hour later we were invited to return to the workshop ,the boiler sitting on the test rig bench .The technician then went on to explain the problems found on the boiler and what was required ( via parts replacement) to rectify the problems .............We agreed to the replacement parts ….The boiler was then repaired and put back in to the motorhome and run at full tilt for testing, with the technician also tidying up excess length flexi pipes and power cables on the unit .

Within something like 2 hours total we had a fully functioning , professionally tested and repaired boiler. ....Total cost was around £150 for labour +parts , also carrying a warranty on parts and labour .... This along with an exceptional level of customer care which I cant put a price on.

By the way , The problems being nothing whatsoever to do with the previous mobile engineers "diagnosis " of it being the approx ( according to him) £300 -£400 PCB. Plus of course his labour and travel costs added to that…………..I wont say on here my thoughts about that individual and his “governing body”.

Basically what I"m trying to say is we experienced 2 extremes in the motorhome "industry". IE an amateurish so called registered/ trained/certificated chancer and his “governing body” at one end . And a completely professional outfit at the other. The chancer nearly had us throwing in the towel on our much loved hobby. The other rejuvenating our trust in the "industry".

Paul , maybe consider, as we did , booking your vehicle in to Truma for boiler repair?Might go some way to getting your trust back in the "industry".

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back