I Think A Solo Trip Across The Water Is In Order

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by iceni, May 5, 2015.

1. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Been separated nearly 18 months now. Had crazy and sometimes terrible time but now living on my own at the family home thanks to an understanding wife.

Still got our lovely van too so thinking about a holiday as I have nothing booked. it will have to be a cheap affair though hopefully before august. I loved the mosel but don't know if I will go there on my own too many memories.

Still love the continent and been many times and so cant wait for the break.

Phill

• Like Like x 6
  2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Quite a long time ago a Funster I won't give the username here even if he is not a member on here anymore, was in a big pain, having lost his beloved wife (not exactly the same case here...I would even add... fortunately for both of you).
    He wanted to escape the house and all the memories of it but could not find a good reason to take the plunge.
    P&G tea bags happened to be the solution. I wanted some..... he brought them.

He just had to find some reason good enough to him to finally DO it!

Why not think about the places you always wanted to visit which she didn't really agree on...if any of course, and give them a go?

Hope you'll find some energy to find Your Solution!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

• Like Like x 22
  3. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

Been there and got the T shirt. First holiday on your own is really strange, you will feel really lonely at first so I would suggest you just do a week a first, I found 2 weeks too long. Things that worked for me, boxed sets, evenings are the worst, menu du jour, eating out at night is horrible, lunchtime is different, you normally ended up chatting to someone. I used the aires a lot, always someone to chat to.
    This year I'm trying my first 3 weeks away (y)

• Like Like x 12
  4. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I've been travelling solo for a few years and love it.
    Off to France next week - ferry to Dunkerque then......... who knows? - I don't!
    Aires with the occasional municipal - just follow my nose - always discovering interesting places and people.
    OK - it would be nice to have someone in that passenger seat sometimes but it's not to be so I adapt to what I have.

• Like Like x 12
  5. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Go somewhere warm and drive listening to the foo fighters

• Like Like x 3
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

First times are always the hardest but once you have done it you know better what work's for you. Why not join in with one or two Fun meets always solo's on those . Have a good trip.

• Like Like x 5
  7. buttons

buttons Funster

I was in a similar situation as yours some years ago but I had the kids for company. All I can say is life gets much better with time and new memories will evolve. Enjoy your holiday.(y)

8. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Thanks
    yes coming to Thetford in a couple of weeks
    I went to Stratford last year with the "other lot" and it was very sad as this was my first time away without her. I live on my own now so used to my own company but holidays were our wind downs as we both have stressful jobs. Niether of us get them now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Yes, first trip on your own is difficult but the experiences take over and become your new memories. I went back to Africa about 7 months after my partner died ( albeit with my best friend and her son) she more or less made me book it and I'm glad she did. Another friend flew with her 2 year old to Australia 2 months after her husband died---I am still in awe of her strength.

France is easy with a motorhome. 1000s of campsites and Aires to choose from.
    And later in the year why not come along to a Fun meet? You'll always be made welcome, with plenty of like minded Funsters.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Now that really will be a livley meet, Jaws really knows how to do a fun meet. if you can get to Stratford with Fun this year I am sure there are lots going on .

• Like Like x 1
  11. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

I am torn between stratford and the model aircraft show at weston park on the same weekend but weston want £60 for the weekend. Its pricey when its only me and no discounts. Still undecided

12. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

Cant offer any words of wisdom iam afraid, i can understand where your coming from. Maybe meet up with you somewhere, sometime and tell a yarn or two over a beer.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

Think there's at least 3 of us solo campers at Thetford (y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

the first step is the hardest. Lots of friendly people out there. Maybe see if any funsters will be in an area you are traveling through for a meet up. Never abroad, but used my romahome on my own for several years. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  15. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Don't think about it. Do it!
    Once you've been to a few fun meets it will be a meeting up of old friends :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. t660

t660 Funster

Hi all, just had 3 week over the channel just me and my 2 dogs had a great time in France and Belgium used both aires and campsites the aires seem to be the place to meet people who want to stop and chat, like Isaid earlier had agreat time so I recommend anyone to go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

on a positive note you've halved your water consumption and doubled the length of time between emptying the cassette

• Like Like x 4
  18. isitfriday

isitfriday Funster

Some lovely words offered here, I like the tea bags idea, I'm driving to Orkney from down south and spending a week there from 12th July then slowly driving around and south again. Does anyone need any tea bags?
    Or maybe I should say does anyone need help drinking up their Glenmorangie?
    I can't think of anything from down south that the Scottish would want!
    I live round the corner from Bombay Saffhire Gin, does that count?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

whilst happily married (25th anniversary in a few week) when I retired I had to stump up the courage to go away on my own with wife flying over during college holidays. it was either that or vegetate at home through a cold winter. have done 3 trips to Spain now. As Clive said days are fine as always loads of people around to talk to, then there's cycling, shopping, swimming and all the housework to keep you occupied. But evenings not the same om your own.... The driving I quite enjoy as quicker and easier.

You have just got to bite the bullet and go, you will not regret it I am sure....Like many we go to Benidorm as its cheap, busy and alive year round. and the micro climate wonderful. Heading on our yearly month in Italy together in July :)

• Like Like x 1