I saw a mouse, where? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Brought the motorhome home from the storage site yesterday and today set about cleaning it inside and out. It is only a few weeks since we used it for a tour of Wales but when I opened the bottom drawer below the sink I found tiny mice droppings all over the bottom of the drawer and two plastic tops on the sauce bottles had been munched through. Then I worked my way round the other low-level storage under the settees and found the sleeping bags, two fleece blankets and two old sheets we use to protect the settees had been eaten through too.

I checked all over the van, under the double floor, everywhere, and no sign of any mice. God knows how they got in as there are no obvious entry points but presumable they got out too.

Any advice on a) how to make sure they don't come back for another bite?
b) how to be absolutely sure they aren't hiding in some dark corner, sniggering until I leave them alone?

Never had this before in 5 years of owning this van. It's a Hymer B544SL with a double floor. I don't have vent blinds on the outside vents but the waste pipe is not left open.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Wasn't me gov...might of been a mate...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Brought the motorhome home from the storage site yesterday and today set about cleaning it inside and out. It is only a few weeks since we used it for a tour of Wales but when I opened the bottom drawer below the sink I found tiny mice droppings all over the bottom of the drawer and two plastic tops on the sauce bottles had been munched through. Then I worked my way round the other low-level storage under the settees and found the sleeping bags, two fleece blankets and two old sheets we use to protect the settees had been eaten through too.

I checked all over the van, under the double floor, everywhere, and no sign of any mice. God knows how they got in as there are no obvious entry points but presumable they got out too.

Any advice on a) how to make sure they don't come back for another bite?
b) how to be absolutely sure they aren't hiding in some dark corner, sniggering until I leave them alone?

Never had this before in 5 years of owning this van. It's a Hymer B544SL with a double floor. I don't have vent blinds on the outside vents but the waste pipe is not left open.

i had the same feeling a few weeks ago that you had today,ive taken all foodstuffs out of the MH ,i put down spring type traps with either peanut butter or chocolate as bait ,i removed all of the bedding as well and have placed one of those sonic type deterrants in the MH ,ive caught about 11 mice in traps but for two weeks now the traps have been empty ,give the MH a thorough clean as well

as @Anthea M has posted check out my post "groan,,,, mice"

good luck buddy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think they sometimes manage to get in via the engine well. Mine also got into the cupboard under the bathroom sink somehow. And into the cupboard under the fridge . And into the outside locker. Not got a clue how. I have nightmares about them coming back:(

OP
OP
HymerB544
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
i had the same feeling a few weeks ago that you had today,ive taken all foodstuffs out of the MH ,i put down spring type traps with either peanut butter or chocolate as bait ,i removed all of the bedding as well and have placed one of those sonic type deterrants in the MH ,ive caught about 11 mice in traps but for two weeks now the traps have been empty ,give the MH a thorough clean as well

as @Anthea M has posted check out my post "groan,,,, mice"

good luck buddy
@laird of Dunstan thanks for this. Seems I have much to do! Will pick up some traps tomorrow.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I saw a mouse , where?
There on the stair, where on the stair , right there.
A little mouse with clogs on, going clip, clippety, clop on the stair , oh yea.......
Reminds me of my grandad singing it to me as a little girl .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Dynamite gets rid of the little buggers :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
@laird of Dunstan thanks for this. Seems I have much to do! Will pick up some traps tomorrow.
We had mice and used traps. Always caught plenty then I decided they were actually coming in for the chocolate in the traps. So chucked away the traps and now remove everything and wash all surfaces in a diluted solution of Dettol. Seems to work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back